C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

5 Amp Radio RDO Batt Fuse - Whats it do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 5 Amp Radio RDO Batt Fuse - Whats it do?

I have a 94 coupe. On the fuse panel, located in the right door jam, is a fuse marked "RDO Batt". According to my owners manual, this fuse is for: (1) Radio Receiver box (battery) (2) Radio Control Head (passive) and (3) Keyless Entry Module. I don't have Keyless Entry on the car, but my main question is what does this fuse control on the radio? I know the fuse marked "RDO IGN" seems to be the main power source for the radio, but I"m not sure what the RDO Batt fuse does as far as the radio is concerned.

The reason I ask this question, is ever since I had a Bose/GM radio/CD unit installed, I have been having a battery drain. I traced it down to the radio and found that the backlighting for the radio controls, is staying on, all the time, draining down the battery. I pulled this RDO BATT fuse, and the lights went out, however, it also leaves the radio dead. :smash: I talked to a car audio guy about it, and he said he thinks its an internal problem in the radio, that the multipin connectors are all the same for all GM radios. I was thinking there was a mismatch on the pins in the connector, with perhaps the power for the radio memory (which should stay on all the time) was going to the backlighting. Anyone got any suggestions, ideas...comments??? :confused:
Old 05-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: 5 Amp Radio RDO Batt Fuse - Whats it do? (Vintagevetter)

I'm guessing it's your radio's memory which is a battery hot. And yes, it sounds like you have a problem with your radio.

Quick Reply: 5 Amp Radio RDO Batt Fuse - Whats it do?