C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:16 AM
MaddMaxx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor.

Well I have been driving like crazy to get some break in miles on my new stroker motor. Was at about 570 miles today when I was tempted to get on it. I have been getting on it a little here and there but today I really hammered it. When I shifted into third at about 6000 rpms the car blew a cloud of smoke (huge) out of the exhaust. My temperatures oil and water never changed, my oil pressure never changed, and I smelled no obvious smells and saw no leaks. I pulled over checked all my fluids and looked for leaks car looked great. Put her on the road and hammered the heck out of her and could not duplicate the smoke.

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (MaddMaxx)

You may have just seated the rings. :confused:
Old 05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
MaddMaxx
Racer

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (Nathan Plemons)

Nathan,

Is that good or bad?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (MaddMaxx)

Well if it's not smoking anymore I guess it would be a good thing.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:10 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (Nathan Plemons)

What color? If its the first time you really hammered it you may have just blown out a bunch of junk that was sitting in the exhaust.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:38 AM
MaddMaxx
Racer

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (scorp508)

I was disappointed, because do to the smoke I could not tell if that M3 was 5 or 10 car lengths behind me. :flag
Old 05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my experience of ring seating.

I use to build a lot of BB Chevy engines for several 1/4 mile drag racing teams in the Chicago area. All were 8 second NA cars and all but one had only one carb.

I'd usually start off the season with a fresh engine - new rings and bearings and other tune up stuff (springs, touch up the valve job, etc) - and I would re-freshen the engines sometimes twice during the season. The idea behind this was preventive maintenance and to keep the cars competitive in the hotly contested Super Gas and other classes.

I could take the trailered cars with their fresh engines, which had only enough running time to set the timing and stabilize the temperatures, and head straight to the burn out box and the car would run virtually the same ET and MPH as it had before the freshening.

I attribute this to the Speed Pro five over single plasma moly rings. So I'd have to say that using Speed Pro plasma molys with their standard tension SS50U oil ring set, ring seating is almost instant.

Of course I run that ring package in my Vette too.

I don't know what ring package you're running, but I suspect that for that instant, the A/F ratio went extremely rich. I don't think that, with an engine as fresh as yours, there would have been enough time for carbon to build up that would have blown out when you nailed the loud pedal.

Just my thoughts.

Jake

Jake
Old 05-18-2004, 02:08 PM
MaddMaxx
Racer

Default Re: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor. (JAKE)

As a side note the tune I am running was put on the car with the tuner never seeing the car run over 3500 rpms. I am going to run a few runs right now and will get back with you guys.

max

Get notified of new replies

To Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor.

Quick Reply: Please help Need Opinions on smoke at high rpms in brand new motor.