C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dumb to swap headers to pass smog test?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
V's Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dumb to swap headers to pass smog test?

Hear is what may be a dumb idea. Calif. has gone over the deep end on smog tests, so I can't even think of long tube headers on my car unless...I put them on (say the ones from TPIS) after passing smog, put the old ones back on two years later to pass and then put the long tubes on again.

Is this dumb, or is it a workable idea? And, what are the best 3.07 gears to replace my stock rear end?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V's Vette
Hear is what may be a dumb idea. Calif. has gone over the deep end on smog tests, so I can't even think of long tube headers on my car unless...I put them on (say the ones from TPIS) after passing smog, put the old ones back on two years later to pass and then put the long tubes on again.

Is this dumb, or is it a workable idea? And, what are the best 3.07 gears to replace my stock rear end?
I'd be tough because you might have to swap out more than just the headers, you might also need to swap out the cat-back exhaust because some exhausts need to be cut/modified to work with the headers. It's do-able...but it won't be something you'll look forward to every 2 years! There aren't any CARB legal long-tube headers? That may be a dumb question, I've just never looked for any.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
MrSpeedyBob
Safety Car

You might be able to built two complete exhaust systems from the headers back. Get everything welded together so when it's time to switch you just unbolt, drop eveything out as a unit, and bolt the other unit in.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

In Mo. They dont look under the hood unless you fail.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSpeedyBob
You might be able to built two complete exhaust systems from the headers back. Get everything welded together so when it's time to switch you just unbolt, drop eveything out as a unit, and bolt the other unit in.
This is what I'd do. Have a OEM complete exhaust and just swap. You'll be the most proficient exhaust man in the C4s. I think California should become their own country.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:44 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyunknown
In Mo. They dont look under the hood unless you fail.

Yeah, my car just passed with long tubes and bullet cats.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:05 PM
philly1919d
Instructor

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Yeah the difference is that us in california usually can't get it that easy...
Old 07-23-2004, 09:19 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

One 'ell of alot of work. For 2 years of whatever.
Time goes bye really fast. Been there done that!
Good Luck
Old 07-23-2004, 09:37 PM
2manyfuncars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yes it's painful

It's part of the price of hp in CA. At least the new tests are not done at idle anymore.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
V's Vette
Racer

If anyone has found CARB approved headers for an '89 Vette, long or short, let me know. It would sure make this whole process simple.

And, thanks for the replys guys!

Last edited by V's Vette; 07-23-2004 at 11:08 PM. Reason: left out a few words
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

If this were planned for when you build your exhaust system, it shouldn't be that big a deal. Just make a place in the system where it can be unbolted just beyond the headers and have legal parts set up to bolt back in. No need to change entire systems. And I'm with you Strick, we other 49 should secede from California.....
Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 PM
LT1CORVETTE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strick
This is what I'd do. Have a OEM complete exhaust and just swap. You'll be the most proficient exhaust man in the C4s. I think California should become their own country.
Yes, those are both true statments. If you ever live here you'll realize it it much worse. Then again I never have to think about my antifreeze, and wet weather compatible tires, what are those?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Is this dumb, or is it a workable idea?
I have done the swap for several years now. All I have to remove is the exhaust from the cat foward (front y-pipe and long tubes). I just support the cat-back, I do not even touch it, and swap the front y-pipe and headers in my driveway. I've have plenty of practice and can do the entire swap in about 2 hours. That includes going back to stock and re-installing the long tubes. I don't mind spending a few hours under the Vette every two years to be able to run long tubes all year round. It's really a matter of personal convenience. I lived in NC for 3 years where I got the headers, so I am going to keep running them as far a I am concerned. I just keep the stock manifolds and front y-pipe on hand for the bi-annual swap. I got a good used front y-pipe for $30 from Pacific Corvette and a good set of stock manifolds for $40 from Corvette Action Center.

Last edited by 86PACER; 07-24-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:41 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by V's Vette
If anyone has found CARB approved headers for an '89 Vette, long or short, let me know. It would sure make this whole process simple.

And, thanks for the replys guys!
Unfortunately there are no long tubes that are CARB approved. Only shorties are.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
V's Vette
Racer

Hey 86pacer,

Thanks! This gives the idea some possibilities. Do you happen to know which shorties have CARB approval?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Oh, it's *not* that the LTs won't actually pass a smog in CA, it's that the friggin' bureaucrats won't let the technician even take your car that far because it'll fail the visual inspection! No C.A.R.B. sticker? No pass.

What's sick is that a properly tuned (and maybe even poorly tuned) car with LTs and bullets could pass the CA smog with flying colors, yet some early 80s P.O.S. Datsun will just bearly squeak by the upper limit, smoking and sputtering all along, and yet he gets to drive while the Vette doesn't.

Old 07-24-2004, 10:22 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

I could not agree more with Perfusion. Get this, when I first moved back to Cal, my Vette passed the analyser part of the "SMOG" without a problem. That was with long tube headers, no EGR, no AIR pump, no pre-cats, and 140k on the odometer. A properly tuned Vette will pass just fine. The thing is to have a good main cat in the exhaust and a good tuned Vette. Of course, it would not pass "visual inspection" hence the biannual header swap. I feel that only what comes out of the tailpipe should matter. Unfortunately others do not see it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To dumb to swap headers to pass smog test?

Old 07-24-2004, 10:46 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Do you happen to know which shorties have CARB approval?
I have not seen any for TPI Vettes 85-91. If anyone here has please chime in.
JBA Headers (Summit Racing PN#JBA-1815) makes a 50 state legal set for LT1 Vettes 91-96, so does Hooker. Seeing how you have a 89 TPI Vette, it might be hard to find a set for that. I have not been able to find a set for TPI Vettes anywhere. (If someone has please chime in) I could not find a set for my 86 anywhere online when I was in the market for an exhaust, that is the reason why I went long tubes in the first place. They are somewhat pricey and many guys feel that their HP gain is just not worth the expense. Some folks have claimed that shorties are more of a performance manifold that headers. It's kinda a tough predicament since you live in Cal and want a better exhaust at the same time. That is why I swap, since I have the time, the tools, and the willingness to do it. Long tubes was my only choice. Sadly there are no long tubes with a CARB or E.O. number, and there seems to be little if any shorties for TPI Vettes that I am aware of. That is the price we pay here in Cal for the sunny weather it seems. But there are ways arround it, you just have to get your hands dirty every two years. Some folk are fortunate enough to personally know a SMOG tech that will check off the visual inspection.
At least us Cal guys still have the 50 state legal Accel Super Ram to turn to for an intake. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:33 PM
amm0bob
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I have done it myself for more than one car out here... and for more than 20 years... I have a shelf of parts to "reinstall" when bi-annuals come due.

I have not set up my vette for this yet... but I have done it to numerous other sporty rides I've owned.

And the shorty headers are hard to come by... (approved number = JBA 1810) and give NO performance improvement... that may be why they got approved...
Old 07-25-2004, 03:40 AM
chevyguy1961
Advanced

Having suffered in California for several years, it is definitely a different place to deal with. I went through months of searching for a set of LT Headers for my 90 to no avail. After getting a reply back from the CARB, it isn't a matter of there not being any that will pass, but rather a matter of none being submitted for testing. If none of the manufactures think there are enough cars out there that would buy them, then we are left high and dry. There is no limitation saying that a private owner can't make his own custom headers and then submit them directly to the CARB for testing, but who has enough time and energy to go through the trouble?

Since the test is no longer performed at idle, but rather throughout the RPM band, they should go back to a tail pipe sniffer and call it good. If you can build a C4 running a 502 BB that will pass the sniffer test good for you, who cares what is under the hood. It's what comes out the tail pipe at speed that matters right?

Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Dave

Quick Reply: dumb to swap headers to pass smog test?