C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Bleeding

Old 07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Brake Bleeding

I'm going to bleed my brakes to replace the old fluid. My '94 has ABS brakes. The service manual says the master cylinder prime pipe going to the ABS must be bled first before bleeding the wheels. Is this necessary ? Also, should i siphon all the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservior and add fresh before flushing the lines? Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 PM
dannydoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what i did..
i sucked the reservois out...filled it to the top....close it
start in the back opposit side of master first cause lines are longer...3 good times pump, open, **** fluid, close.maybe 5 times if ****..
check fluid level ,,fill,close cap again...then oppisite side same...repeat process and fill after each tire...

in front do opposite side of master/reservois first also....
after all is done....start car and go back around to each one and bleed one or two good times for any excess air...

done!
it workes for me every time!!but u need a helper unless u want to use a bar or pole or something creative....
Old 07-30-2004, 04:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use a cheap turkey baster to such out old
Old 07-30-2004, 05:11 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, syphon the old fluid out of the resevoir first and replace with clean. It will save you alot of pumping later.

Use a clear bleed hose so you can see what's coming out of the wheel cylinders. Bleed the cylinders in the recommended order and don't let the MC run dry, or you need to start over.

Bleed each wheel cylinder until the fluid coming out is clean with no air bubbles.

If the fluid was really cruddy, it might be worthwhile to bleed them again in a couple of weeks. Use the brakes hard enough to work the ABS before you rebleed them. That will get a bit of fresh fluid through the ABS system.

I have found that if I let the car sit overnight and rebleed sometimes I get a few more small bubbles out. Seems to make a very small improvement in pedal feel. Or maybe it's my imagination, but it makes me feel virtuous
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Gordon Killebrew indicated that bleeding the Corvette brakes should be done just like any other car... start at the right rear and work forward.

the ABS means nothing to the equation.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I bled my brakes, got to the left front and rounded off the bleed screw on the last wheel. i did bleed to the abs first which was easiest and the fluid was nasty so i glad i did that. now i am gonna replace the bleed screw in a couple 'o days and bleed em again. thanks for the help and i hope i didn't talk like i wuz frum charlotte n.c.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:01 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

notta' prob. weall gitit
Old 07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
dannydoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres another tip...
after you drain the cup,,,use some paper towel and dry the walls really good cause some type of fluid scum builds up on the walls and turns to chunky rubberish textured goo..??..
in some cases that is..but a quick wipe cant hurt any..youll see the dark goo on the towel that wasnt visable,, after you wipe it..
happy braking

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding