C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Door Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door Switch Problems

I bought two new factory AC Delco door switches from Ecklers and they don't work for crap. The passanger side sticks and I have to pull it out with my fingers, and the drivers side I guess isn't right internally because the button will pop out, but it won't do anything unless I press it rapidly. Has anyone else replaced these? What kinda luck did you have?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Door Switch Problems (Brian Blum)

ttt
Old 07-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Door Switch Problems (Brian Blum)

I'd send em back to Eckler's & get a hold of Chris May at Superior Chevy, PH. 800 728-8267. The quality of the parts may be a little better.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought from Eckler's when I didn't know better. Now I shop the small guys and forum members. Better prices,better crowd!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

So by the lack of replies that would lead me to think I'm the only person that has had a bad door switch. I'm sure that isn't true
Old 07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll reply! Are these the door ajar or interior light switches?? I had broken switches on both doors. Mine were the door ajar-(rear part of door). Guts were missing, just a hole in the door- replaced with new ones and work great. Not sure which place I purchased them from- either corvette central or mid america. Aparently the buttons pop out because of wear- circuit goes open=no door ajar light. People just ignore it
Old 07-09-2004, 10:24 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

The door light switches I got from Eklers ended up in the garbage-there was no way the switch would except the plug. Went to GM-same problem-went to Corvettes of Auburn they had the right ones. Gm said the switches were the right part# and guessed whoever was manufacturing ran a bad batch :mad
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Jeff's Classics
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten two bad ones from the Chevrolet dealer...heard of others having the same problem. The one in there now is about 1 month old, fingers crossed.
Jeff
Old 07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick lambert
The door light switches I got from Eklers ended up in the garbage-there was no way the switch would except the plug. Went to GM-same problem-went to Corvettes of Auburn they had the right ones. Gm said the switches were the right part# and guessed whoever was manufacturing ran a bad batch :mad
My switches fit just fine, it is just they are junk. I don't know if there are any other door switches out there, but they are the ones that turn off the radio after the key is out of the car.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:03 AM
C4RacerX
Instructor

It may not be the switches. It could be the selenoids in the door. i had the same problem. i have a 1987 and like all electrical parts they wear out over time.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:32 PM
91vetteman
Advanced

Is there an easy way to install them w.out taking the door panel off ?
I purchased 2 myself & the original one cracked off as I was trying to loosen it. Seems the guts of it is ALL inside , any idea's since some of you already changed these out.
I also bought 2 from ecklers....they look pretty cheap as well.

thanks in advance..
Old 08-19-2004, 10:09 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've replaced mine already with GM replacements. They lasted about a year or so, now the passenger is starting to stick. There is a plate inside the door that falls down if you don't "hook" it first. Basically what I do is remove the top screw ONLY, then get a long allen driver or ultra thin screwdriver, or 120 angular hook and pass it THROUGH the top screw hole and plate assembly (make sure it is at LEAST 6 inches long so you don't slip and lose it or else it's door dismantling time), this will "hold" the plate so it doesn't drop in the door. WHILE HOLDING the tool and the plate remove the botton screw and GENTLY pull the switch assembly out, try to disconnect it outside the hole but if not then push the electrical locking mechanism out and extract the entire switch body < it's a balancing act, sorry, but unless you feel like taking the entire door apart.....>, Once the switch is out and the wire is hanging, put the bottom screw back into the hole and into the holding plate so you can replace the switch while not dropping the plate back into the door, you can now remove the 120 angular tool or ultra thin screwdriver. Installation is just the reverse of the removal process, it sounds harder than it really is but will only take 5 minutes to do the process rather than 1 hour to dismantle the door and so on.

Let us know how you make out and if this helps

Chris

Last edited by kittmaster; 08-19-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Cool92
Advanced

I have switches from Ecklers laying on the workbench now. One appears to be sticking already. They are AC Delco parts. Was hoping they were GM quality.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 AM
91vetteman
Advanced

Originally Posted by kittmaster
I've replaced mine already with GM replacements. They lasted about a year or so, now the passenger is starting to stick. There is a plate inside the door that falls down if you don't "hook" it first. Basically what I do is remove the top screw ONLY, then get a long allen driver or ultra thin screwdriver, or 120 angular hook and pass it THROUGH the top screw hole and plate assembly (make sure it is at LEAST 6 inches long so you don't slip and lose it or else it's door dismantling time), this will "hold" the plate so it doesn't drop in the door. WHILE HOLDING the tool and the plate remove the botton screw and GENTLY pull the switch assembly out, try to disconnect it outside the hole but if not then push the electrical locking mechanism out and extract the entire switch body < it's a balancing act, sorry, but unless you feel like taking the entire door apart.....>, Once the switch is out and the wire is hanging, put the bottom screw back into the hole and into the holding plate so you can replace the switch while not dropping the plate back into the door, you can now remove the 120 angular tool or ultra thin screwdriver. Installation is just the reverse of the removal process, it sounds harder than it really is but will only take 5 minutes to do the process rather than 1 hour to dismantle the door and so on.

Let us know how you make out and if this helps

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the assistance on this lil project, defintely helped.
I was able to keep from dismantling the door "thank god".
I took one screw off at a time & actually put some strong wire in there to hold the backplate in position. The hardest part was removing the old door switch w/the plug attached. Used a needle nose & a very small pc screw driver to wedge it out. Anyhoot the task is done, those switches are cheap though geeeeesh, the one appears to be stickin a bit already. Why didnt they just make the switch prong out of metal or something ?

Thanks again , this forum always helps out ALOT !

Old 08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
SupaVette
Racer

I bought two new factory AC Delco door switches from Ecklers and they don't work for crap. The passanger side sticks and I have to pull it out with my fingers, and the drivers side I guess isn't right internally because the button will pop out, but it won't do anything unless I press it rapidly. Has anyone else replaced these? What kinda luck did you have?
I normally just put some silicon grease on them and they move smoothly

Get notified of new replies

To Door Switch Problems

Quick Reply: Door Switch Problems