C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Bose Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Kaae
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Bose Speakers

Replace? Rebuild? Where and how much???
Old 08-20-2004, 08:21 AM
booya93
Advanced

My opinion, they suck. If you plan on keeping the stock Bose stereo, you will have to rebuild or buy the same ones (way too expensive). You'd be better off going aftermarket on the deck. Then, just remove the blown speakers from their housing and reuse the pre-built enclosures with aftermarket speakers; you just have to bypass the small amps that are part of the enclosures. The sound can amaze you.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:52 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaae
Replace? Rebuild? Where and how much???
If they are the same as the Bose in an 85, a friend has the whole setup that he removed when he turned it into a track car at ~25,000 mi. PM me if interested and I'll hook you up.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booya93
You'd be better off going aftermarket on the deck. ... [snip]... The sound can amaze you.

If you value decent sound, I highly recommend going aftermarket. If you want to make a [i]dramatic[i] difference, make sure to use an amplifier to power the speakers. Night-n-day.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
PBnf
Racer

I have a 90 coupe and my speakers are bad also. I contacted Bose and they can rebuild them for $75 each. If you want to keep the stock radio you have to use the stock speakers. Bose is not compatable with other equipment. On the other hand, they are 1980's technology and what's available now is far superior to the Bose set-up. You'll have to decide if you want to keep the stock look to your radio or if replacing and rewiring an entire system is worth it. Look at what's available and talk to other members. You can get an idea of what's available and how much it costs to but and install. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

If you want to keep the original sound system in your 89 (as I wanted to do), Doc Don will rebuild the speaker amps for $65 each. The turnaround time is a few days. He is reputable and his website is: http://www.doctordons.com/
I have used him on all four of my 89 amps. Hope this is helpful. SAM
Old 08-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Kaae
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for your input. Lot's suggest rewiring and a new deck, but as you might forget, that ain't such a bargain either. I was quoted 450-600 at numerous places. I'd much rather have bose, than aftermarket speakers. Even though it is 80's technology, so is the fx3 ride control and tire pressure monitor... See, 80's weren't all that bad.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:32 AM
828790vetteman
Advanced

If your your deck, cdmbox, front and rear speakers need repair, then send it to sound repair in Florida.(www.sound-repair.com) I sent my system their last winter and I have been highly pleased with its performance. The whole repair cost 450 although it included a lifetime warranty on the amp repairs, 1 year on the deck, and 1 year on cdmbox. They also at no extra cost but in a new laser pickup in the deck so that it would read all of my burned cds.(great thing there ) The warranty of the repairs is really the same warranty you get when you buy new components and plus it is stock and it is BOSE.

Good Luck
Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Bose Speakers

Quick Reply: 89 Bose Speakers