C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sway Bars (and Z51 shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 11:28 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Sway Bars (and Z51 shocks)

With the help of GlockLT4, we installed some new polygraphite sway bar bushings and some Z51 shocks yesterday. Anyone thinking of doing this, it's a ROYAL PITA!!!! I don't think I've ever replaced sway bar bushings that had to be PRESSED in! I will also say, MEASURE THE BARS YOURSELF before you order. I went by this http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/susp_chart.html for my car and it's WRONG! :mad :mad According to that I should have a 26mm front sway and I DON'T. I've got 24mm in front and 24 mm in back. Just out of curiosity I measured GlockLT4's front sway bar and his is a 24mm as well. So the charts off on the '96's as well.

Now I'm not so sure I got the right shocks either. I was expecting the ride to be a little rougher than my base and that's partially what I was shooting for. With the bigger wheels and tires I just felt it was too loose with the base. I didn't drive it much afterwards as it was getting really late (did I mention the rears are a PITA!!!!), but I'm not sure I like the results. While it did firm up the suspension and there doesn't seem to be much sway at all, the rear seems to have too much bounce too it. Hardly any compression, but too much rebound by my SOTP feel. I'm hoping after a few days that maybe it'll settle some. I dont' know.

If it doesn't get better, I my opt for Z51 front shocks and base for the rears, I don't know yet.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, bushings are a pain in the ***!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:22 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait until you decide to do the suspension ones.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:40 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BAM92
Just wait until you decide to do the suspension ones.

I'm not. I didn't even plan on doing these, but since I was doing the shocks I figured what the heck. Plus the upper links on the front sway bar were just about gone. I will let someone else mess with the rest.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Let us know how you like the z51 shock/base spring setup once it gets settled in. I'm thinking of doing it next year, but was gonna wait and let you try it first!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:26 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Let us know how you like the z51 shock/base spring setup once it gets settled in. I'm thinking of doing it next year, but was gonna wait and let you try it first!
On my 88, I run base (vert) spring with Z51 shocks all around. 30mm bar in front, 24 mm in rear

Very happy with the setup

Old 08-08-2004, 07:55 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackdaroofer
On my 88, I run base (vert) spring with Z51 shocks all around. 30mm bar in front, 24 mm in rear

Very happy with the setup

But which Z51 shocks are you using? The older cars had stiffer springs and lighter shocks, even for the Z51. The newer C4's had lighter springs and stiffer shocks. I think part of what I'm not crazy about is the fact that it's extremely stiff in the rear now. Practically no compression at all. IF (and that's a BIG IF) the chart is right, my rear spring is just a little stiffer than the '96 Z51 rear. I figured with as old as the car was, as many miles as I had, that it might have weakened down to that, but from the ride, I'd say not. The fact that I've removed the mufflers (eliminators) and the spare to save weight probably doesn't help much in this matter either. GlockLT4 and I looked at it today and it appears the rear may actually be riding higher now as well.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 84 Posts

I am running base (vert) springs with the Z51 shocks. I am very happy as well. Wasn't as stiff as I had expected. I am looking for a 30mm front bar for the 26mm that I bought. That should take care of the little bit of roll I have now.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
But which Z51 shocks are you using? The older cars had stiffer springs and lighter shocks, even for the Z51. The newer C4's had lighter springs and stiffer shocks. I think part of what I'm not crazy about is the fact that it's extremely stiff in the rear now. Practically no compression at all. IF (and that's a BIG IF) the chart is right, my rear spring is just a little stiffer than the '96 Z51 rear. I figured with as old as the car was, as many miles as I had, that it might have weakened down to that, but from the ride, I'd say not. The fact that I've removed the mufflers (eliminators) and the spare to save weight probably doesn't help much in this matter either. GlockLT4 and I looked at it today and it appears the rear may actually be riding higher now as well.

I run the 88 Z51 shocks. Only problem I have Is I only get about 25,000 miles from a set

I think the ones I put on in October 2002 are about done! Ride is getting very stiff and bouncy all at the same time, if you can belief that. On the last set, the right front shock actually locked up "tight as a drum" and bent the shock tower!

But when they are right, they are right

I'll probably throw a new set on before the Dragon this fall

Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
On my92 coupe I have base springs with the Z51 shocks. Bilstein Sports are the model. VBP lists them as Front: B46-1177 and Rear: B46-1178. Had them on for well over a year. I like the combination alot. Car is daily commuter and weekend autocrosser.

Graham
Old 08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

I got the ones for the '96 Z51. I think they were 2057 and 2058.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway Bars (and Z51 shocks)

Quick Reply: Sway Bars (and Z51 shocks)