C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil pan gasket replacement??? (I wouldn't ask if search worked)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:53 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Oil pan gasket replacement??? (I wouldn't ask if search worked)

Darn archives are down again...

Anyway, I think my oil pan gasket is bad. Is there a replacment procedure?

What about the gasket, can I get a heavy duty rubber/metal crush resistant one somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:03 PM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about any special procedures for doing it in a vette, but I HIGHLY recommend the one piece fel-pro oil pan gasket. It only needs four dabs of sealant, and is that rubber/steel type you speak of so you cant over tighten it. It comes with these nifty little plastic things that hold the gasket in place if your doing it from underneath, and it comes with new pan bolts and washers too. It runs about $20-$30 at any auto parts place that sells Fel Pro stuff. Sorry, I dont have the part number.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Although you didn't tell us, I checked your profile and it says you have a '92. It's an LT1 then, not too bad a job. I've had mine off once with the engine in the car. Remove starter, oil filter adapter, oil level sensor, flywheel cover and remove your motor mount nuts, the ones pointing downwards. Raise the motor just enough to get some small blocks of wood under the mounts to hold the engine up while you R&R the pan. Use a Felpro gasket and you'll have no problems. BUT, make real sure that it is your pan gasket leaking and not something else running down. I have my doubts that one of these installed properly could leak much even after many miles. I would check all seals at the front, intake, etc. before delving into this.

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 08-17-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
Although you didn't tell us, I checked your profile and it says you have a '92. It's an LT1 then, not too bad a job. I've had mine off once with the engine in the car. Remove starter, oil filter adapter, oil level sensor, flywheel cover and remove your motor mount nuts, the ones pointing downwards. Raise the motor just enough to get some small blocks of wood under the mounts to hold the engine up while you R&R the pan. Use a Felpro gasket and you'll have no problems. BUT, make real sure that it is your pan gasket leaking and not something else running down. I have my doubts that one of these installed properly could leak much even after many miles. I would check all seals at the front, intake, etc. before delving into this.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I also was doubtful that it could be the pan, but over the weekend I replaced my intake manifold gasket and once I had the engine running I noticed PUDDLES of oil at the rear and front of the oil pan on the floor. The only other things it could possible be is BOTH my timing chain cover and my rear main seal at the same time. At this point, I'm hoping it's just the oil pan. I will remove my bellhousing cover to make sure there's no oil dripping out of there as I see a drip hanging off of the bottom of the bellhousing. :
Old 08-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vvv90
Thanks a lot for the advice. I also was doubtful that it could be the pan, but over the weekend I replaced my intake manifold gasket and once I had the engine running I noticed PUDDLES of oil at the rear and front of the oil pan on the floor. The only other things it could possible be is BOTH my timing chain cover and my rear main seal at the same time. At this point, I'm hoping it's just the oil pan. I will remove my bellhousing cover to make sure there's no oil dripping out of there as I see a drip hanging off of the bottom of the bellhousing. :

I know they're virtually impossible to see but also check your front crank seal, opti seal and water pump drive seal. Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I know they're virtually impossible to see but also check your front crank seal, opti seal and water pump drive seal. Keep us posted and good luck!
I chased an oil leak during the first 2 years of owning my Vette (92). It was hard to pin point as I saw oil everywhere underneath. I first thought it was power steering fluid and replaced the seal on the pump and the coupling between the pipe from the res to the pump. I wound up replacing the seals in the timing cover, the timing cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gaskets, intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Finally it's dry as a bone. Oh the biggest leak was from the water pump drive seal, I closed it when I installed the Meziere electric water pump. Here is an article I wrote about most of this project: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=231&TopicID=2

I'm here for questions, I sure did learn a lot about my LT1.

edit: I forgot, I also replaced the rear main seal which didn't appear to be leaking, but I also had the tranny out, replacing the clutch, and figured might as well.

Last edited by Strick; 08-18-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Strick
I chased an oil leak during the first 2 years of owning my Vette (92). It was hard to pin point as I saw oil everywhere underneath. I first thought it was power steering fluid and replaced the seal on the pump and the coupling between the pipe from the res to the pump. I wound up replacing the seals in the timing cover, the timing cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gaskets, intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Finally it's dry as a bone. Oh the biggest leak was from the water pump drive seal, I closed it when I installed the Meziere electric water pump. Here is an article I wrote about most of this project: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=231&TopicID=2

I'm here for questions, I sure did learn a lot about my LT1.

edit: I forgot, I also replaced the rear main seal which didn't appear to be leaking, but I also had the tranny out, replacing the clutch, and figured might as well.
Tom, I hereby anoint
you the forum LT1 oil leak expert!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Tom, I hereby anoint
you the forum LT1 oil leak expert!
Chris, I look at it as my overkill approach
Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 PM
ptwash@aol.com
3rd Gear

Replacing my transmission filter and pan gasket. What are the pros and cons of using cork gasket (original equipment) vs the newer rubber gasket? Have used to rubber gaskets before on the valve covers and they were VERY hard to work with, also ended up with leaks.

Last edited by ptwash@aol.com; 06-01-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM
ptwash@aol.com
3rd Gear

This is on a 1986 Corvette Coupe. Have replaced the transmission filter before with the rubber gasket and now its leaking. Could that be because of problems with the pan and/or not having proper tightening of the boults on the pan?

Last edited by ptwash@aol.com; 06-01-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ptwash@aol.com
Replacing my transmission filter and pan gasket. What are the pros and cons of using cork gasket (original equipment) vs the newer rubber gasket? Have used to rubber gaskets before on the valve covers and they were VERY hard to work with, also ended up with leaks.
Put that cork gasket idea right out of your mind. Using a cork gasket in year 2016 is tantamount to putting bias ply tires on your car.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

UV die in oil really helped me pin point my leak:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-wits-end.html
The following users liked this post:
jph46 (01-23-2017)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:40 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You have revived a 12 year old thread about a leaking lt1 oil pan gasket. You have a leaking transmission pan gasket. Best to start a new thread.
The following users liked this post:
ptwash@aol.com (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM
ptwash@aol.com
3rd Gear

Default Leaking transmission pan gasket

Originally Posted by 383vett
You have revived a 12 year old thread about a leaking lt1 oil pan gasket. You have a leaking transmission pan gasket. Best to start a new thread.
Do you agree that the new rubber gaskets are superior to the cork gaskets. Cork is sure a lot easier to work with.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Do you agree that the new rubber gaskets are superior to the cork gaskets. Cork is sure a lot easier to work with.

Thanks again.
Cork works better if the pan rails are warped. If they are flat, rubber seals better.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Holy F***ing Necropost Batman!

I forgot I ever owned a C4

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan gasket replacement??? (I wouldn't ask if search worked)

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket replacement??? (I wouldn't ask if search worked)