C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"88 Vert Alignment... done right???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default "88 Vert Alignment... done right???

I took my ’88 Vert in for an alignment today to the Chevy dealer . in the past I let the dealer align my cars to the factory specs.
This time, I took in the VBP specs for Advanced Street

They are:

Front
Toe 0”
Camber 0.25 neg
Caster 5 to 7 deg pos

Rear
Toe 1/8”
Camber .50 deg neg

What I got:

Front Left , Right

Toe 0” , 0”
Camber 0.2 deg neg , 0.1 deg pos
Caster 5.8 deg pos 5.7 deg pos

Rear
Toe 5/16” , 1/16” neg
Camber .30 deg neg , .50 deg neg

Did I get what I paid for?
The front toe looks good. The front Caster is within the range that I requested. What about the front camber? The technician said he could not get the right side negative without messing up the caster. Does this track? He said his knows the left side is there because he played with the shims to get it bewtween .2 and .3, but that his machine does not print out finer than .1. Is this likely true?

With regard to the rear numbers, is .3 close enough to .5 or should he have been able to give me .5?
I am totally confused with the rear Toe. If the total is supposed to be 1/8” what should I expect the individual left and right to be? If one side is 5/16 could the other be 7/16 neg and the total would be 2/16 (1/8), but is that better or worse that each side being 1/16 ?

I think I should take it back in to be redone. Am I being too fussy?
I may not be able to get it back in for a week, will I cause any tire wear with these settings?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm really interested in reading what others (who know more about alignment settings that I do which, by the way, "ain't" much) have to say about those numbers.

My first thought is that the rear toe is really off. If I understand total toe correctly, 1/16 left and 1/16 right will give you 1/8 total toe. 5/16ths is a quarter inch from that.

I don't believe the difference between .3 and .5 in camber is a biggie though, but, as I alluded to above, I'm here to learn too.

How does the car drive BTW?

Jake
Old 08-21-2004, 06:48 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by rws.1
I took my ’88 Vert in for an alignment today to the Chevy dealer . in the past I let the dealer align my cars to the factory specs.
This time, I took in the VBP specs for Advanced Street

They are:

Front
Toe 0”
Camber 0.25 neg
Caster 5 to 7 deg pos

Rear
Toe 1/8”
Camber .50 deg neg

What I got:

Front Left , Right

Toe 0” , 0”
Camber 0.2 deg neg , 0.1 deg pos
Caster 5.8 deg pos 5.7 deg pos

Rear
Toe 5/16” , 1/16” neg
Camber .30 deg neg , .50 deg neg

Did I get what I paid for?
The front toe looks good. The front Caster is within the range that I requested. What about the front camber? The technician said he could not get the right side negative without messing up the caster. Does this track? He said his knows the left side is there because he played with the shims to get it bewtween .2 and .3, but that his machine does not print out finer than .1. Is this likely true?

With regard to the rear numbers, is .3 close enough to .5 or should he have been able to give me .5?
I am totally confused with the rear Toe. If the total is supposed to be 1/8” what should I expect the individual left and right to be? If one side is 5/16 could the other be 7/16 neg and the total would be 2/16 (1/8), but is that better or worse that each side being 1/16 ?

I think I should take it back in to be redone. Am I being too fussy?
I may not be able to get it back in for a week, will I cause any tire wear with these settings?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Try vette brakes web site for spec's that are very good

www.vettebrakes.com/align.htm

Old 08-21-2004, 11:23 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks, jackdaroofer.... VetteBakes specs were the specs I took in to the dealer.
What i got differs from what I requested. What i am trying to figure out is should they have set it up EXACTLY as I requested or is the set-up I got close enough that I should not be concerned?

Get notified of new replies

To "88 Vert Alignment... done right???

Quick Reply: "88 Vert Alignment... done right???