C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

where do I buy these "coolant tabletts"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:45 PM
fast95vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do I buy these "coolant tabletts"

Aftering see all these coolant threads I checked mine and when I opened the cap rusty stuff went everywhere and I noticed at the bottom and sides of my overflow tank there is sludge so I will be doing a coolant change and someone mentioned in another thread coolant tabletts are needed to lube the water pump WHERE DO I BUY THESE! the chevy dealer had no clue what I was talking about.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:04 PM
mvmechanic
Advanced

The "GM Cooling System Seal Tabs" as I believe they're known as, are stocked at most Chevy and other GM dealerships. I've seen them as 4 tabs to a card and they're a brownish/mustard-yellow color; each slightly smaller than a 5 cent gumball. While I don't have a part number, I recall that they contained a bunch of stuff normally found in your spice rack in your kitchen! Someone will chime in with a part number, I'm sure. I would ask another GM dealer in your area about them.
Personally, I don't believe in them; but others have a different opinion.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:10 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

ask for GM part number 3634621 (i think it was just over $10). i think they're called "coolant sealer pellets". it came in a blister pack of six. i put two in after my last coolant change. incidentally some of that sludge is the coolant pellet remnants.

there was also a TSB issued to recomment NOT using the pellets, but then again i haven't heard of anyone having problems with them other than discoloration of the coolant.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flush it and do right not bandaids
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Foreget the tablets

If I were you I would do a complete flush. Its a big, messy job but thats what I would do. A total flush, all fluid, run the heater, get it all out. Replace with 50/50 coolant and distilled. You will be fine.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default No Pellets

Old 08-23-2004, 09:20 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest
ask for GM part number 3634621 (i think it was just over $10). i think they're called "coolant sealer pellets". it came in a blister pack of six. i put two in after my last coolant change. incidentally some of that sludge is the coolant pellet remnants.

there was also a TSB issued to recomment NOT using the pellets, but then again i haven't heard of anyone having problems with them other than discoloration of the coolant.
I've used them for 12 years now and never had any type of a problem. However, I do a complete flush once a year, add 50/50 mix using distilled water, and add 6 pellets like the Helms says.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most GM Chevy Dealers don't carry them because of the service bulletin that came out discontinuing there use. I totally agree with the 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. If your Vette came with the green stuff coolant, stay with it. AND CHANGE YOUR COOLANT AT LEAST EVERY TWO YEARS!!!! Every year is even better. One more thing, most coolants have lub qualities in it.

Hey Steve, your Helms is missing a change.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 PM
fast95vette
Advanced

thanks for all the replies you guys are great!

Now my 95 has teh green type coolant in it so is it pretty safe to say it came with the green type when new? anyway to makre sure

If one of you would be nice enough to take me through step by step on how to flush the coolant in my 95 that would be great because I'm not very hands on, I have never done this before.

I see where the mixture is 50/50 and use distilled water so are these ready to go 50/50 premixed green coolant deals at walmart have the distilled water in it or is it something else and I need to add distilled water to the 50/50 (now you can probably see I'm lost!)

thanksyou for any help because the coolant in my 95 looks bad it is green but when I took the cap off there was rust on the cap and around where it goes on and some free in and stired up a rusty color in my coolant so I need to get this done soon looks like.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
Most GM Chevy Dealers don't carry them because of the service bulletin that came out discontinuing there use. I totally agree with the 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. If your Vette came with the green stuff coolant, stay with it. AND CHANGE YOUR COOLANT AT LEAST EVERY TWO YEARS!!!! Every year is even better. One more thing, most coolants have lub qualities in it.

Hey Steve, your Helms is missing a change.
Hey Tom, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
On the flush issue, get the non deluted anti freeze like Prestone and add 1 gal. of distilled water to each 1 gal of non deluted antifreeze. Remove both knock sensors to drain the block. Open the petcocok on the radiator and move your heat control to max. Also open the brass bleed screw(s). I think you only have one and it should be on the thermostate housing. That should drain the system including the heater core. Flush the system till everything looks like clear water coming out. Let it drain and button it up but leave the bleed screws open. STUFF PAPER TOWELS UNDER IT TO KEEP FLUID OFF OPTI! Add the 50/50 mix to surge tank till the coolant comes out of the bleed screw(s) then close them. Keep adding fluid until system is full in surge tank. Fill recovery tank with 50/50 mix. Start car and keep adding fluid at surge tank until full again. Take it for a ride and then recheck to be sure it is full. No wild stuff until there has been 3 normal heat operating cycles completed. Good luck.

Oh yea...if your going to add sealer pellets, crush them up in a separate container and add them to the surge tank at the very end of the refill.

Last edited by ittlfly; 08-23-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To where do I buy these "coolant tabletts"

Quick Reply: where do I buy these "coolant tabletts"