C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bigmouth Air Dam torture testing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:53 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bigmouth Air Dam torture testing

I guess you could call this a long-term test... I've had my BigMouth Air Dam on for about 4 months now.
http://www.c4orcecorvette.com/

Before Pic:

I posted about how it clears parking curbs easily, even though my vette is lowered. Well, apparently all parking curbs aren't created equal. I loaned my vette out (reluctantly) and it came back with the powdercoating chipped off, and a little chewed up. I was pissed about that until a month ago when I nailed a tall parking curb REAL hard. I've also scraped it several times on steep driveways. In this pic, you can see the right side is shoved back a few inches.

Now the drumroll... the bigmouth had basically no damage. The curb hit broke the 3/16" bolts on one side, and wedged the bigmouth up and back. I finally got around to fixing it this weekend. The aluminum is really thick, was bent very slightly... so I tapped it with a hammer a few times to straighten it out since I'm picky.

The powdercoat is still chipped off where it's scraped... but new hardware, and it's back in and good as new. I was considering drilling for larger bolts, but really, the 3/16" bolts sacrifice themselves by breaking away and not putting all the force on the air dam. Here it is all cleaned up...

And last but not least, this bigmouth air dam is a meat eater! I hit a rabbit awhile back, and never bothered to check up on it, but last weekend I found a severed rabbit head inside the radiator opening. So I suppose that's a good indication that this thing really does reach down and scoop the air, and everything else that gets in its way.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 09-10-2004 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 AM
JohnyH
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After driving down to Carlisle two weeks ago, August/26 (a days drive one way) and back on Sunday, I noticed that my car does run hot and this is one thing that IS on my Xmas list. I'll be ordering one soon!
PS but I think I'll be extravagant and order the screen!

Last edited by JohnyH; 09-10-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
golfman2008
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Hello Kevin, I have had the same experinces with the bolts breaking but very little damage to the Big Mouth! Just put in another bolt and its good as new ! New items automotive rubberized scratch guard for the front lip and low profile all stainless 91% open with removable screen , DEBRIS SCREEN.

Get notified of new replies

To Bigmouth Air Dam torture testing

Quick Reply: Bigmouth Air Dam torture testing