C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flakes in my Brake Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flakes in my Brake Fluid?

While topping off my brake fluid today I noticed that not only is the fluid black but there are little black flakes floating around the master cylinder reseviour. Im assuming this isnt normal. My brakes are crappy but havnt been able to pinpoint what is wrong. There is one stretch of highway that has a steep grade up and then down where my brake pressure is lost almost to the floor and then returns to normal after I return home and shut the engine down for a while. Also, during panic stops my brake light flashes and then the check ABS and ASR lights illuminate. Bad right? So...I was thinking about getting the fluid flushed and see if its just not bad fluid/ air in the system. Any input of what else may need to be done?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Sounds like you need a good flushing. Had similar situation when I first got my car. Good flush took care of it. Not sure about your year, but if it is older - be careful about using sinthetic brake fluid. I did and my master cylinder started to leak!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:01 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Hopefully that all it needs in my '92. I really dont feel like replacing the master cylinder.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

As stated before, you definitely need to start with a good flushing. I suspect you may have a failing master cylinder and maybe other problems too. With a system that dirty, anything could be wrong. But start by flushing and then any new components you have to install won't be contaminated right off the bat.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:20 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Good point. Will any Dot 3 (non synthetric) be ok for the abs brake system?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by MPforUSMC
Good point. Will any Dot 3 (non synthetric) be ok for the abs brake system?
If that's what's recommended but stick with a known brand and only use from a fresh (sealed) container, especially for the final flushing/ bleeding after all repairs.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:54 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
If that's what's recommended but stick with a known brand and only use from a fresh (sealed) container, especially for the final flushing/ bleeding after all repairs.
Alrighty ill give it a shot tomorrow and see what she does. Thanks for help!
-Mike
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the flakes look like this:

I flushed my fluid today. There were a lot of these flakes, and I can still see a layer in the bottom of the fluid resovoir. After flushing the fluid, I took it out to a remote location for testing. The new fluid definitely helped pedal travel and force. The brakes grab quicker and firmer with the new fluid. I just bough the car in June, and I don't know when the last time it was changed, but the bleeder screws needed some "convincing" to let loose. I used STP DOT3 fuild (it took a large bottle and I used all of it) that claimed it was ABS safe, and a vacuum bleeder. It was my first time bleeding brakes, and it went smoother than I thought it would.

HTH!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Square
Did the flakes look like this:
Ya it looked exactly like that...but there was no yellow color..just murkey with the flakes. I was about to do the vaccuum thing but I got quickly shut down after I jacked the car up. Base Safety told me they would fine me if I did it in the barracks parking lot so I said fauck it and am taking it in tomorrow to have it done.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:06 PM
88vettelover
Instructor

Ya it looked exactly like that...but there was no yellow color..just murkey with the flakes. I was about to do the vaccuum thing but I got quickly shut down after I jacked the car up. Base Safety told me they would fine me if I did it in the barracks parking lot so I said fauck it and am taking it in tomorrow to have it done.
The thing with brake fluid is that it absorbs water from the air. Even in a sealed container it still absorbs water through the outside air. The murky stuff your seeing is because the fluid is contaminated with water. Make sure you flush it out real good until you see clean fluid coming from the bleeder screws.

The fading your experiencing could be from contaminated fluid. What happens when the brake fluid absorbs the water it drastically lowers the boiling point of the fluid. Therefore your fluid begins to bubble and creates air (which is not good in a hydraulic system) and it causes a fade. Otherwise I would point to a bad master cylinder after you flush the system.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:23 AM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Originally Posted by 88vettelover
The thing with brake fluid is that it absorbs water from the air. Even in a sealed container it still absorbs water through the outside air. The murky stuff your seeing is because the fluid is contaminated with water. Make sure you flush it out real good until you see clean fluid coming from the bleeder screws.

The fading your experiencing could be from contaminated fluid. What happens when the brake fluid absorbs the water it drastically lowers the boiling point of the fluid. Therefore your fluid begins to bubble and creates air (which is not good in a hydraulic system) and it causes a fade. Otherwise I would point to a bad master cylinder after you flush the system.
Well I guess that makes sense going up in the 'mountains' here on oahu. There is a drastic drop in tempurature plus more moisture so this may be my problem. Ill update my post tomorrow on the results to see if the flush cured my problems.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:14 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Flakes in brake fluid

You said that the brakes are crappy and also said the fluid is black. Any ideas so far?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 AM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

A lot of good advise here. If you have the original rubber brake lines you might want to think about upgrading to a set of stainless braided lines.
The old rubber lines start to deteriorate over the years.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya it looked exactly like that...but there was no yellow color..just murkey with the flakes.
Sorry! I should have added that the only reason there was any yellow fluid in the container was because I had already dumped the first batch, which I assure you was quite dark and had no yellow tinge to it at all!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valvoline SynPower!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with the last post Valvoline Synpower, It is a DOT4/DOT3 fluid that has a higher boiling point and better resistance to absorbing water.

You can use a syringe to get those last little bits of flake out of the bottom of the reservoir after you flush, If they don't get flushed throught the system
Old 09-13-2004, 08:56 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Well I took it in to Firestone as scheduled (on base) and they called me back a couple hours later saying that cant work on it because they cant fit it on the lift. So...I call a Firestone right outside our Main gate and they said they can do it even if they have to manually jack it up. BUT...they said the Firestone on base didnt include the cost of flushing my brakes on a car with Anti-lock Brakes(which they were going to charge me $40) and the Firestone off base wants to charge $90 because of the ABS system...is this normal or am I getting the big green weeny?

I hate this island.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:59 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

I hate this island.
I lived on that rock for 3 years and hated the last 2.5 years

Here's to a speedy return
Old 09-13-2004, 10:05 PM
MPforUSMC