C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

service ABS service ASR Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:49 AM
vettes
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default service ABS service ASR Light

This morning my service ASR AND ABS light stayed on while driving and sometime u can hear the asr whining from behind the drivers seat.
Has any on experienced this and what was the fix.
1992 6spd. LT1
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The noise you hear is the ABS unit. Did you recently do a brake fluid flush?? You may have some air in the ABS unit. Also check the fluid level in the master cylinder resevoir. With the ABS/ARS lights on, the ABS/ASR units will be inoperative but the brakes will still work.

The ABS unit requires a Tech-1 with a brake module or similar scanner to perform tests or pull codes on the ABS unit. The unit is fairly expensive so you should have the problem looked at by a competent shop that has the proper test equipment.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 AM
vettes
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had no work done recently to brakes,I checked the fluid level but I will check again.The car sat about 1 month in the garage and when I went to take her out this happend.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

The ABS unit does a self-test when the engine is started and the car first moves forward at about 3-4MPH and you can easily hear the ABS unit cycling. After that, it should remain quiet. If it's still running, it may be going bad. In any event, the CCM will have a code set that needs to be pulled but that requires the scanner.

With my 92, I have had my ASR/ABS lights flash on and off after extreme braking and I found out that the fluid in the master cylinder resevoir must be right at or very close to the full mark to keep the lights from coming on. Even a 1/4" drop in the level can cause the lights to flash on the DIC. They should not stay on though.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:58 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

With my 92, I have had my ASR/ABS lights flash on and off after extreme braking and I found out that the fluid in the master cylinder resevoir must be right at or very close to the full mark to keep the lights from coming on. Even a 1/4" drop in the level can cause the lights to flash on the DIC. They should not stay on though.
[/QUOTE]

Same with my 1992 on a road course.

Steven
Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's where I noticed the ABS/ASR lights coming on!! When I topped off the reservoir to the full mark, I didn't have any other occurances that day.

Apparently, enough braking force will cause the fluid to slosh around and trip the sensor in the reservoir.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:52 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try shorting pins A and G on you ALDL and flip key. The CCM codes will pop up on your dash.

Get notified of new replies

To service ABS service ASR Light

Quick Reply: service ABS service ASR Light