C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OBD1 PCM on a 1996 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 01:56 PM
89'Bowtie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Planning of modifying a 1996 LT1. I was told that with the mods i want to do i will need the pcm reprogrammed. TPIS wants $575 to reprogramme my pcm and the OBDI programming programs like "LT1edit" can't be used on OBDII.

Someone said a few people have put a 1995 computer (OBDI) in their 1996.

What is involved and what are the pros and cons of the swap?
Old 07-22-2001, 03:55 PM
ChrisB
Pro

Yes, you can switch to a OBDI style 8051 pcm in your vette - you just need to change out the knock sensors.

But LT1 Edit for OBDII vehicles *is* now available - that is the route I would consider.

Old 07-23-2001, 02:38 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I bought my OBD2 version of LT1-Edit from www.Carputing.com and am very happy with it. It runs around $500. There's a bit of a learning curve that I'm still at the base of, but they also have a very helpful tech-forum that I've learned alot from. A couple of the guys here also know quite a bit about tuning.
You'll also need a diagnostic tool like an Autotap or something to log data for tuning. OBD1 cars have several shareware programs for logging data, but I haven't seen any yet for OBD2.
The biggest thing is fine-tuning takes a lot of time and patience. It's fun if you get in to that type of thing (I like it, even though I'm not good at it yet), but it's not a plug-and-play thing.
If you do want an OBD1 setup, there's a detailed writeup at carputing's web site also.
If you don't want to mess with any of that, Ed Wright at fastchips.com will do a custom program for $350. A lot of guys have had great success with him. Their program didn't work out too well for me (which is why I got LT1 edit), but I think my car just likes being a pain in the butt!

Get notified of new replies

To OBD1 PCM on a 1996 LT1

Quick Reply: OBD1 PCM on a 1996 LT1