C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"Sys" flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:51 PM
VT Solo2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sys" flashing

Hi everyone, I wasn't thinking last night and left the interior lights on, which of course drained the battery. I just jump started it, and it started right up, runs great. The only problem is that "SYS" flashes in the speedo display area. It flashes 3 times, and then disappears for 10 or 15 seconds. Any ideas? I looked really quick in the service manual and didn't see much. I hope I didn't fry something when I jumped it. Thanks in advance!

Vinnie
Old 10-26-2004, 06:54 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The CCM is storing a code.

I don't remember how to extract codes from a 96, tho... being OBD2 and such.

If you have the Helms, check under CCM or Codes or something like that. If you have the Haynes, God be with you.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:58 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
If you have the Haynes, God be with you.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Ghostpilot
Instructor

Mine did the samething, when the battery charged back up the sys stopped flashing. I didn't find any codes stored. The battery never recovered to hold a full charge and the starter started "clicking " instead of turning the engine over. At first I thought it was the starter going bad, but it turned out to just be a crapped out battery. It's always something and ya gotta love it.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:41 AM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a charger you should put it on the battery, the alternator won't do the battery justice (time for a new battery for you, save the receipt, most batteries have good warranties now).
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default You probably need a new......

You need a new battery and when you change to the new battery, the disconnect of the old battery will probably drop that code you are seeing. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Ghostpilot
Instructor

I have the 140 AMP alt and it works great on a good battery. In fact it charged my old battery back up in about 15 min. Which stopped the sys flashing problem or just dropped the code as you stated.

I thought I had it licked when the starter started "clicking" on the first turn of the key. When I reset the key and turned it again the car would start. I lived with this for quite some time as the car always started on the second try. That's why I figured it was the starter going bad.

I did some searching and read a SB that discribed this as a bad CCM. Then I took a two hour trip to Carlise Of course worried I may have got the last start out of my starter, when I got there I turned the car off and just for piece of mind started it right back up. When I turned the key after that 140 amp alt had been charging for two hrs. It fired up strong I then knew the battery was breaking down under load after sitting overnight. When I got back I purchased a new Optima red top, of course I had my reciept from the last one and only paid $80 for it Anyway, hope that helps
Old 10-27-2004, 10:08 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by elefkow
You need a new battery and when you change to the new battery, the disconnect of the old battery will probably drop that code you are seeing. Good luck.

When I bought my 96, I was aware the battery was a little weak. I started seeing the 'sys' light and started to freak!!! make a long story short... I replaced the battery and haven't seen it since.

you may want to try disconnecting the battery and putting it on a charger. I know you can take it to a local autoparts store for charging and testing. It is usually free!!! I'd start there first then progress as needed.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

OB2 PCM's monitor voltage and will spit out a 560 - 562 code if the voltage is too low and give you the light. Codes can only be accessed with a scanner, though a reader that can also clear the codes are about 100 bucks now. Recharging or replacing the battery should take care of it.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
jay17
Burning Brakes

It will also flash if you have an aftermarket radio.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jay17
It will also flash if you have an aftermarket radio.
... that does not have the correct resistor installed in the circuit.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 PM
VT Solo2
Advanced

Well, it looks like I dodged a bullet this time. I just drove the car around, started right up, and I didn't see the SYS flashing at all. I guess my battery just wasn't fully charged. Thank you everyone for replying!

Get notified of new replies

To "Sys" flashing

Quick Reply: "Sys" flashing