C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dynomax Front Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:44 PM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dynomax Front Y-Pipe?

Anybody have any experience with Walker's Dynomax front Y-pipe with "3 way oxidation catalytic converter" (part # 34198 from Eckler's)? It gets rid of the pre-cats. The front Y (including the cats) and main cat are original on my 87 coupe (auto) and I'd like to get rid of the pre-cats if for no other reason than reducing heat under the hood. I don't expect any performance gain but I'd hope for some better flow and sound with the elimination of the two little cats.

Also, would it be a good idea to replace the O2 sensor while it's out or is that a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" type of deal? I can only assume the thing is original. The car has just over 70k miles.

Any and all thoughts or experiences with this kit would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
88421VETTE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this setup and I like it very easy instal. well worth the money. changes the sound a little but I'm also runnig eliminators . changing the o2 wouldn't hurt anything they are like $30 from Napa for a Bosch
Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I was looking at that same part. I thought of putting pipe in place of the two small front cats myself except that there is a bit of a curve there and I wasn't sure I could get a decent seal. I also was not sure that 2.5 inch was large enough. I plan to put a super ram on this engine eventually. What is stock size? There is a 2.25 and a 2.5 inch front Y pipe sold. You might want to check out EM's catalog to, there's is mandrel bent and from looking at the Dynomax pipe, it did not look mandrel bent. I'm not 100% on that though.

http://www.exoticmuscle.com/catquery...=EXHAUST#C1150

"""I don't expect any performance gain but I'd hope for some better flow and sound with the elimination of the two little cats."""

Excatly my thoughts! I cannot wait till the car sounds better. It's soooo quiet!

I'd replace the O2.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:07 PM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies! Did the pipe come with a bung for the O2 sensor?

Another question....when installing the O2 sensor, do you use anti-seize or anything like that on the threads?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

"""Thanks for the replies! Did the pipe come with a bung for the O2 sensor?

Another question....when installing the O2 sensor, do you use anti-seize or anything like that on the threads?"""

I like to add a little extra of the copper never seize. Stuck o2 sensors really suck!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 PM
stick91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar setup. Catless 2.5 front-y (from madvet), RT cat, Flowmaster cat back. Sound was a major improvement! I don't have dyno numbers to back this up, but I did notice a performance increase as well. BTW - the madvet pipe has the O2 bung.

I also replaced the O2 sensor. From what I understand, it has the anti-sieze compound already applied. You only need to re-apply if you remove the O2 and attempt to reinstall.

Get notified of new replies

To Dynomax Front Y-Pipe?

Quick Reply: Dynomax Front Y-Pipe?