C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clearing FX3 Codes??? Service Ride Control Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 12:18 AM
z07vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on a 91 FX3 Z07 6 speed Vette...

The Service Ride Control light came on. I got a code 32 (right front out of position). The gear on the shock is good and the valve is easily turned by hand. So, I replaced the actuator. It went on easily.

Now though- I can't clear the codes. I used the procedure in the shop manual. I grounded A & C for two seconds with a paper clip, pulled off the clip, waited two seconds, etc. so that I went through three cycles. The switch was in the "run" but not engine on position. I can't get rid of the Service Ride Control Light.

A few questions--- if the codes are cleared, the Service Ride Control will disappear immediately right? It stays on, and it still shows the same code (32) stored if I check the codes again.

Even if the problem was still present, wouldn't the light go off when I clear the codes and then come back on again the next time I start the car?

Tomorrow I will remove the actuator and see if it is turning when I start the car (or does the switch just have to be in the run position but car not started?)

Will the actuators actually try to turn when the SRC light is still on? Or does the system only move the actuators on startup if the codes are clear?

I'm trying to tell if I fixed the problem or not with the new actuator. I hope so, but that I'm just having trouble clearing the codes.

I drove it after the new actuator install for awhile though and couldn't tell any difference in switching from tour to perf.

Ideas anyone?

Is there a special trick to clearing the Service Ride Control codes and getting the light to go off?

Thanks for the help in advance. I saw from another note that I should make sure the nut on the top of the shock is not loose. Will do that tomorrow!

Old 07-26-2001, 12:20 AM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

When you turned the gear on top of the shock, did it turn 360 degrees, or did it just turn a little in both directions?

Old 07-26-2001, 12:29 AM
z07vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 91-Z07Coupe
When you turned the gear on top of the shock, did it turn 360 degrees, or did it just turn a little in both directions?

[/color]
I only turned it a little each way. Should I have tried to turn it 360 degrees? It did turn easily. When the actuator searches for the end positions, is it just waiting for a certain amount of physical resistance? Or is it something else?
Old 07-26-2001, 08:32 AM
Mika Renwall
Advanced

Hi ! Try to use something else than a paperclip to ground the connectors. When i was doing the same procedure i noticed that the FX3 system was very "picky" about the 2 sec intervals. So i made a bit sturdier grounding device and checked the the 2 sec cycles with a timer clock ; that solved my problem.
Greets, Mika
Old 07-26-2001, 08:53 AM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

The gear SHOULD only turn a little each direction. If the gear were to turn all the way around without stopping, that would give you the code 32. Another thing you need to check is to make sure the actuator acutally engaged the gear correctly. Some people have stated that if you don't get the actuator seated just right, it will give you a code 32.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:47 PM
z07vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 91-Z07Coupe
The gear SHOULD only turn a little each direction. If the gear were to turn all the way around without stopping, that would give you the code 32.
Let us know what you find out.
[/color]
Results are in. The gear now turns freely 360 degrees for as long as you want to turn it. Apparently, the shaft is snapped on the inside. I was going to get Bilstein to rebuild the shocks this winter after autocross season but now I have to buy a new one because I don't want the car to be down for a month while I wait on them. So, I'll get a new shock. When I have my old ones rebuilt, then I'll have a spare.

Unfortunately, I bought a new actuator I didn't need yet. I may put the old back on and save the new one as a spare.

One data point- I did take the actuator off the LF as well. I examined both of them while the ignition switch went from off to run and saw them both moving. That was good news.

One good lesson is that if you can't clear the service codes, it just might mean you haven't fixed the problem!

I like the FX3 system and plan to keep it on the car. I just hope it doesn't brake the bank to do it. I autocross in a stock class and in perf mode, the setting seem to work great. My wife likes the softer ride of the tour setting and it does make less harsh on the highway.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:14 PM
C4TOMCAT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi: you may consider buying a cheap/or borrow a shock to put on the car while you rebuild the blistien...25.00 shock is a lot cheaper than 200.00 just a thought..worked for me.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:08 PM
z07vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C4TOMCAT:
[B
Hi] you may consider buying a cheap/or borrow a shock to put on the car while you rebuild the blistien...25.00 shock is a lot cheaper than 200.00 just a thought..worked for me.[/B][/color]
The only problem is that I have several autox events I want to enter between now and the time that I'd get the rebuilt ones back. I was told by Bilstein NA to expect it to take 3 weeks to a month. ugh.

Get notified of new replies

To Clearing FX3 Codes??? Service Ride Control Repair

Quick Reply: Clearing FX3 Codes??? Service Ride Control Repair