Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-26-2001, 11:11 PM   #1
Tom Mieczkowski
CF Senior Member

Friends,

After a query on the forum for new battery recommendations, I've priced a new Delco 75-6YR for my 96 LT4. The local battery guy has quoted me a price of $97.99. This seems a little high compared to some prices I've seen on the web. I was thinking more like $60-70. I realize web prices are low because they don't add shipping, etc.

Is this $97 a decent price or am I getting a shaft job here. Any comments or observations?

Tom Mieczkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 02:34 AM   #2
greg84
CF Senior Member

hi,that sounds like a bit overpriced,i paid 75.00 for the same delco battery that your looking at.shop around and dont pay more then 80.00 for the delco battery.greg84
greg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 04:39 AM   #3
wake
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to wake

This might sound crazy but check the dealership...

I replaced the battery on my old IROC several years ago... Checked all the chain stores for "junk" batteries since I was a little short on class... Even the junkers from chain stores all were around $90... I figured that since I was going to have to spend quite a bit of money anyway that I would just get another Delco... I called the local dealership and was shocked to find out that the Delco battery was only $57 from them...

Dealerships get a bad rep for high priced replacement parts, but I've had a few surprises over the years when the dealer had much better prices than the local parts places... It might be worth a look...

wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 07:12 AM   #4
WEF's 95
CF Senior Member

Yesterday I got a 72 month Penske from Kmart for $59 and an Excide was $69. These were 850 cca for a Dodge van but I think all the 72 month batteries were the same price.
WEF's 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 08:58 AM   #5
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mr Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Mojo

I would stay away from AC Delco, they always fall apart(just ask me and most of my friends).
Mr Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 09:03 AM   #6
89 Bob L
CF Senior Member

I would suggest a Sears battery. They are much cheaper than the AC Delco and have a better performance record. What ever battery you buy make sure the battery has the proper cca rating and reserve.
89 Bob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 07:01 PM   #7
900590Vettes
CF Senior Member

I bought my Delco at a Chevy dealer - I think it was around $90. As for putting "junk" (cheap) brands or any other brand I think the Delco just looks better when you open the hood.

900590Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 09:02 PM   #8
Togo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to Togo Send a message via Yahoo to Togo

delco? exide? diehard? don't these batteries corrode eventually????
go out and spend the bucks and buy yourself an OPTIMA! i have had the same optima in my full size chevy truck for more than 5 years and i live in the desert (arizona) where batteries barely survive 2 years! this battery has been run completely dead twice (cuz i left my headlights on for 8 hours....yeah both times) and on the drive home the battery got charged up enough where it has been starting itself back up now for about 1 year! now you have yet another opinion!

oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i have one in my 85 vette too! fits perfect! in case you care (part number - 75/35-925) (model number - 8022-091)

[This message has been edited by 85_togo (edited 07-27-2001).]
Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 10:02 AM   #9
Mez
CF Senior Member

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas

I first stopped at the local chevy dealership and they quoted $90+ for AC Delco replacement. I checked the AC Delco website and found KMart carries Delco and got the same battery for about $70. I think I got the same model you got. I tried to find the exact battery as OEM, but are discontinued. The only problem with the replacement is the "eye" is on the wrong side. Not a big deal, but just irritating that Delco does not sell the exact OEM model anymore.

Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 10:12 AM   #10
Tom Mieczkowski
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting the "current" (no pun intended, of course) version of the AC Delco for about $70 at a local Discount Auto Parts. I decided, like Mez, to go with the Delco because I wanted a as-close-to OEM as possible (and you're right Mez, the "green eye" has moved on the battery). My old Delco lasted nearly six years so I thought that was pretty good and I didn't like to eye appeal of putting in an "off-brand".

So, again, thanks for all your suggestions and commentary. Corvettes, like their owners, are the best!

Tom Mieczkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 03:21 PM   #11
RED90SIXLT1
CF Member

Last week I got one for $73 from the dealer.
RED90SIXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 03:21 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Cost on a new AC Delco 75-6YR Battery

Tags
6yr, 75, 756yr, 75z, 906yr, ac, batteri, batteries, battery, corvette, cost, delco, eye, kmart, pris