C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition Module Grease Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:47 PM
barrypaul2004
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Module Grease Recommendation

Is there anything special I should know about the application of the thermal grease on the ignition module under the distributor cap. This grease is used for thermal conductivity. I am using the grease supplied by the ignition module (Dynamo).

I seem to need to re-grease this about every 3 months or so, otherwise the engine just will not start. That sucks because the car is just dead where it is – and I have to do the re-greasing with a little kit I carry around to get under the distributor cap for the re-greasing – but it is not a nice thing 2 AM in the morning downtown LA.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong that could break down the thermal grease somehow (like maybe too hot) – or if I am using too much or too little grease. Most likely, everybody’s ignition module just uses the little dab that comes with the module and works fine – what could be wrong with mine? Any suggestions for an optimal thermal grease.

Thanks,

barrypaul
Old 11-16-2004, 02:06 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use NAPA's ,,, it get's so hot it melts out ????
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe you have some questionable connections in there that get "fixed" when you re-grease. The few times I have replaced a module, I used the grease that came with it...End of story. I have some Permatex dielectric grease (which is what the module calls for) that I use in my spark plug boots. A small tube should last a lifetime. Maybe your grease isn't dielectric.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 AM
vettenut85
Instructor

perhaps you need a new module that is not so heat sensitive.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:27 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

This stuff is important if you want your module to last. The key is to apply it in a THIN layer. If you just glob it on, you'll be worse off if you did not use it at all. All it is meant to do is fill in the uneven surface of the module and the surface you mount it to.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:47 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it's not unlike the grease used between CPU chips and their heat sinks.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:10 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I used a thin layer of dialectric grease per the module's installation instruction.

This should be a one-time deal, though. If your ignition module is properly greased, that should be good for the life of the unit. Why is yours getting so hot?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 AM
comp
Team Owner

is it melting away ?????
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

If I rememeber correctly, the compound that contains beryllium oxide (white) is better for thermal conductivity than silicon grease.

Silicon grease is easier to find -- you might be able to find the beryllium oxide compound at electronic supply houses.

I usually use the beryllum oxide compound where I think thermal conductivity is critical.

Tom Piper
Old 11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
boblx2
1st Gear

Originally Posted by barrypaul2004
Is there anything special I should know about the application of the thermal grease on the ignition module under the distributor cap. This grease is used for thermal conductivity. I am using the grease supplied by the ignition module (Dynamo).

I seem to need to re-grease this about every 3 months or so, otherwise the engine just will not start. That sucks because the car is just dead where it is – and I have to do the re-greasing with a little kit I carry around to get under the distributor cap for the re-greasing – but it is not a nice thing 2 AM in the morning downtown LA.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong that could break down the thermal grease somehow (like maybe too hot) – or if I am using too much or too little grease. Most likely, everybody’s ignition module just uses the little dab that comes with the module and works fine – what could be wrong with mine? Any suggestions for an optimal thermal grease.

Thanks,

barrypaul
It never occured to me that the grease would wear out or go away but I have been going through ignition modules at an alarming rate. Three in the last 6 or 8 weeks. That also amounts to 3 tows in the last 6 or 8 weeks. Last one was last night and I am getting frazzeled. I never thought that the grease could be causing it but I guess that is an idea. At this point I am grasping for straws. I have replaced everything in the distributor except the pickup coil and the capacitor. I have been assured by several people that the capacitor is only for radio interference and has nothing to do with the distributor module. I am replacing both the cap and the module tonight and see how long it lasts. I am about at the end of my rope with AAA!

Thanks for your post I thought I was the only Corvette owner who had distributor problems.

............Bob
Old 11-23-2004, 05:49 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by comp
is it melting away ?????
Old 11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by bogus
it's not unlike the grease used between CPU chips and their heat sinks.

That's the stuff. Try an electronic components shop.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes I use dielectric compound silicone grease. It's a white paste. Make sure you are gettting a good ground.I had a similar situation where my car would "die" ... the module would be really really hot, it was right after I put in my super charger, As I recall i had a problem where the ground was not good causing it to heatup.. so your other modules may still be good.

As mentioned above, only apply a small amount it helps conduct the heat to the heatsink and on to the cylinder head where it is mounted...

Hope this helps...

Mo
Old 08-23-2022, 09:13 PM
maddmaxx1959
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe you have some questionable connections in there that get "fixed" when you re-grease. The few times I have replaced a module, I used the grease that came with it...End of story. I have some Permatex dielectric grease (which is what the module calls for) that I use in my spark plug boots. A small tube should last a lifetime. Maybe your grease isn't dielectric.

RACE ON!!!
dielectric grease is a moisture repellent. NOT good for heat transfer.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:14 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by maddmaxx1959
dielectric grease is a moisture repellent. NOT good for heat transfer.
You do realize this thread is from 2004, right? Also, the guy you quoted as long passed away.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:20 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

2022 High Performance Gold Thermal Grease CPU Heat Sink Compound Paste Ho | eBay

I used something like this. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Module Grease Recommendation

Quick Reply: Ignition Module Grease Recommendation