C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My winter project....what would you do? or are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default My winter project....what would you do? or are you doing?

Ok so my L-98 I know has 1 bad fuel injector...so for my winter/early spring project Iam going to replace fuel injectors....what else do you think I should do? Iam basically looking to do mods that are going to up the horsepower/torque the best without hurting the remaining reliability of my 131,000 mile mostly stock except for exhaust and bolt-ons motor. I should have about $1,000 to spend and am not really interested into dipping too far into my motor since it has so many miles on it already.

So to recap everything...here's what Iam thinking of doing:

1. SuperRam runners and plenum....(I can't afford a new manifold and don't want to beef up the top end too much.)
2. New fuel injectors (taking recommendations....thinking maybe, 22 or 24 lb Ford SVO's?)

Should I upgrade the stock Cap, Rotor, and Coil to maybe Accel's SuperCoil, HEI performance Distributor Module?

thanks
jeff
Old 11-16-2004, 05:36 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your cap/rotor/wires/etc. are in good shape, you won't benefit from that stuff much, at least that's my opinion...

I plan on porting/polishing the stock plenum and adding high flow runners this winter, that may be enough for your setup, depending on what your other mods are.

My big winter project involves LT headers and a true dual exhaust for my L98
Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You might send your injectors to Rich at Cruzin Performance, unless you have one that failed the resistance check. Rich can not only recondition & flow test the set but also match them for a slight cost adder.

Unless you plan on spinning your modified L98 close to 6k RPM I wouldn't bother with an ignition upgrade. If you do go that route consider the HyperTech setup for an easy bolt on that is good for that range.

I have no performance mods in mind but need to get some new brake pads on the rear soon, ie before the snow falls again in SE NY.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might get a 3.07 differential and put it in place of my 2.59 one. Might try to do it myself. I think it would be a good mod.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:05 PM
James94LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clutch is shot, thats my winter project and rear main seal looks like it might be leaking

I don't think there is much benefit from the accel cap/coil. But if yours is needing replacing a good tune up never hurts!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:12 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default yep it failed...

yeh, so that injector did indeed fail the resistance test. Only 8.9 ohms.

Gonna go new.

After hearing the recommendations, gonna stay away from altering my ignition for now. I don't intend on being in the 6,000 rpm range too long.

Maybe after the superram upgrade my L-98 might get closer to live up there, but definitely won't be in that range for long.

keep comments coming
Old 11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save your $$$ for a rebuild. My L98 spun a rod bearing at 120,000miles.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default well i know anything can happen....but.....

Originally Posted by chriswtx

Well i know that anything can happen...yours went at 120,000 but I know many a L-98 that go past 200,000 strong plus can't I use the superram on the L-98 after it gets rebuilt? plus...I think the superram can pretty much go on anything SBC from 350 to 383 or maybe bigger?...correct me if Iam wrong
Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
If your cap/rotor/wires/etc. are in good shape, you won't benefit from that stuff much, at least that's my opinion...
I disagree. It won't help THAT much.

With as stock as that set up is, the only thing you can gain from altering the injector size, is the burden of tuning the chip to get the A/F ratio back to what it is now. Have them cleaned and flow matched or buy new stockers.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
bmalec
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 31 Posts

Your profile says you've got a 1990, so you've got the Multec injectors that tend to have coil problems (I think I read in 1993 or therabouts they changed the Multec injectors to eliminate this problem). I've got an '89, and only 3 injectors were still above 16 ohms, so you're doing better than I was!

I went with the 22# pink top Bosch injectors from Five-O, they're working great for me other than the car starts a bit harder now. The car ran through the IL emmisions test a few weeks ago with flying colors (ran the IM240 test on the dyno, the numbers were good enough during the first 30 seconds or so that they finished the test early).

It seems that about half the folks go with the 22# injectors and the other half go with the 24# ones. In either case the ECM can adjust the pulse width far enough so the car will run ducky in closed-loop mode. Since it sounds like you're going to be upgrading the engine some, I'll probably tend towards the 24# injectors.

In either case I'd get an AFPR so you can fine-tune your WOT and open loop air/fuel ratio.

Good luck!

Ben
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswtx

Get a new set of stock equivelant injectors and save your money and freshen the motor up in a few years.

Ron
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default altering the injector size?

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I disagree. It won't help THAT much.

With as stock as that set up is, the only thing you can gain from altering the injector size, is the burden of tuning the chip to get the A/F ratio back to what it is now. Have them cleaned and flow matched or buy new stockers.

RACE ON!!!
well I know I definitely have 1 bad injector..it was only at 8.9...so my guess is...the coil is shot. The others are if I remember correctly 17.3-17.6 So my decision is to replace them all....since well they are the originals to the best of my knowlege, so with 131,000 it makes sense to replace them all....Iam not gonna spend the money on rebuilding them since I don't know 1....if they can be rebuilt (cause of the bad injector) (I want to keep as a complete set) and 2....I know that rebuilding will probably cost more then just buying a set of Ford Injectors....which leads me into my next decision of going with the Ford's over the Multecs or aftermarket GM injectors...they just cost too much as opposed to the Fords.

From what I have read here on the forum the computer can compensate for the pulse widths and I can tune either up or down the fuel pressure to get it right with my AFPR which is installed already.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My winter project....what..are you doing?

I'm finishing my fall project!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:34 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Just got the 2800 stall TC installed, and soon I'll get the Hotcam kit with the 1.6 RR's in, along with a new optispark and a new set of plugs and wires. Hoping to take a half-second off my quarter mile time.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:23 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
From what I have read here on the forum the computer can compensate for the pulse widths and I can tune either up or down the fuel pressure to get it right with my AFPR which is installed already.
While you probably could do this, you run the risk of leaning out at higher RPMs and I'm sure that you 120,000 mi L98 won't be too happy in that situation. If you're going to get the Ford injectors, consider a custom chip with the proper injector constant set.

Look for some posts from Wheelman in the last several months. He ended up adding the SVO injectors and had a lot of problems running it with the stock chip.

Ron
Old 11-17-2004, 12:37 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

well, my exhaust should be here by Xmas 2029

Get notified of new replies

To My winter project....what would you do? or are you doing?

Quick Reply: My winter project....what would you do? or are you doing?