C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Factory Security System... I'm at the end of my rope!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Security System... I'm at the end of my rope!!

I have posted a similar thread asking for help but now I have more info. Intermitantly the factory security system sets its self without me locking the doors or setting my aftermarket alarm. I just park the car normal... lets say in my driveway, never set any alarm or lock the doors... I open the door and the horns start going off and I have to put the key in the door and turn it to shut it off.

my vette is a 1992 coupe

Does anybody know what would cause this to set itself? Can I just disconect the factory security system? I can't take it anymore... it always does this at the worst times... like when I am trying to be quiet, next thing you know the horns are going off! This sucks!

Help Please.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2004, 08:35 PM
TankerVette
Racer

Could very well be that one or both of your door switches are shot. I had the same kind of problem. The security system thinks you are opening and closing the door...

Hope this helps...
Old 11-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TankerVette
Could very well be that one or both of your door switches are shot. I had the same kind of problem. The security system thinks you are opening and closing the door...

Hope this helps...

But the system was not turned on, so it shouldn't be able to activate itself right? Would the switches cause it to activate all by itself? Thats what makes this so strange... I never turned the system on but sometimes I open the door and the horns start going off and I have to put the key in the lock and turn it to shut it off.

Very strange.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 PM
TankerVette
Racer

good point. suppose to activate when the doors are locked...

do you use a PKE transmitter?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TankerVette
good point. suppose to activate when the doors are locked...

do you use a PKE transmitter?

No mine is a 1992 that option wasn't avail. till 1993.

I think this car hates me!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:29 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I had an identical problem a few years back. It ended up being the door switches. Over time the self adjuster piece gets loose and messes things up.

Lee
Old 11-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LPDesRoche
I had an identical problem a few years back. It ended up being the door switches. Over time the self adjuster piece gets loose and messes things up.

Lee

Is this something I can adjust or should I just order new switches?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

have you considered getting rid of the aftermarket system? Sometimes, they will arm themselves... not good at all.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bogus
have you considered getting rid of the aftermarket system? Sometimes, they will arm themselves... not good at all.

The aftermarket system does not arm itself and also was never turned on. The aftermarke alarm has not been giving me any probs but I have not been using it either.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:07 AM
bogus
Team Owner

you can never be so sure... the wiring interfacing of those aftermarket systems are potentially problematic.

do you have the helms manual yet? if not, you need one... it has all the trouble shooting needed to figure this out.

PM me... maybe we can talk tomorrow afternoon or Sunday sometime... I have a 92 and the manual.

Last edited by bogus; 11-20-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bogus
you can never be so sure... the wiring interfacing of those aftermarket systems are potentially problematic.

do you have the helms manual yet? if not, you need one... it has all the trouble shooting needed to figure this out.

PM me... maybe we can talk tomorrow afternoon or Sunday sometime... I have a 92 and the manual.

We'll do I want to by a set of factory service manuals along with a GM evtm manual... do you know where I can get one of these for a 92?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:04 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I agree with the possibility of the aftermarket system being an issue. Disconnect it and see if the factory system still arms itself. If it doesn't, then the aftermarket system is the problem. You might find the door switches can be sticky or simply out of adjustment.

As far as the shop manuals, go to www.helminc.com and go thru the order process for your car. The 2-manual set is around $100 or so. The electrical diagnosis section is very comprehensive with wiring diagrams for each electrical component or system in the car.

Sometimes you can find a set on eBay but by going to Helms, you get a brand new set.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Kaae
Heel & Toe

Default Factory+Aftermarket Alarm

I had a viper alarm installed, and they said they were going to disable the factory alarm, which they never did. If you wait about 15 seconds, for the inside lights to go off, then try to open the door, it may go off. If i've been sitting in my car for a while with out the key in the ignition, i turn the key to the on position then back off, then exit the car within 5 seconds. Should solve it if you don't want to spend money, but i'd get it fixed.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

I definatly want to fix it... this is driving me crazy. I love the keyless entry part of the aftermarket system. I will have to check on a cliford system.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door swithces are cheap and easy to replace, also you may want to take a close look at the door lock when you use it-it should be in a perpendicular (normal) position-I know alot of guys had the problem of the position not right and their alarms gave them fits. The lock becomes loose and doesn't work properly with the alarm. I have an after market in mine-installed a few years ago and have not had any problems-it's also interfaced with the OEM alarm.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the great replies... I may have figured it out thanks to you guys. Today I opened the door to pull out of the garage to wash it and the horns went off (remember the door was unlocked and the key was in the ignition) then I pulled it out and washed it. When I opened the door the horns went off (key was still in the ignition). I pulled the car back into the garage and went into the house... I left my phone in the car so I came back out and opened the door and the horn went off (the key was still in the ignition). NOW I HAVE HAD IT I WAS READY TO KILL.... so I grabbed my screw gun and yanked the pass door panel and removed the wire from the switch and put the panel back on closed the door and said "I'll check it in the morning" well I couldn't wait more than an hour. I went outside opened the door and the horns went off (the key still in the ignition). I went back to the pass door and took the panel off and reinstalled the wire on the switch and removed the driver panel and took the wire off of the switch there. I have been outside 6 times in the last 2 hours and NO HORNS. Now because this is an intermitant concern I have no idea if its actually fixed yet but so far all is good, the fact that today it went from intermitant to broken and now that the drivers switch is removed all seems good make me think I GOT IT.

I will keep you guys posted on the results.
Thanks Again
Dana
Old 11-22-2004, 11:46 PM
bogus
Team Owner

yes, please do keep us posted!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Security System... I'm at the end of my rope!!

Old 11-23-2004, 01:00 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There has to be 2 problems occuring for this to happen.

First, the system is arming itself automatically (or just never disarming itself). 2nd, the door locks grounds aren't making good contact. These disable the factory alarm. Sounds to me though like your aftermarket system isn't disarming.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:20 AM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

This may not apply to a 1992 but then again it may. My 1990 GM electrical supplement manual tells how the arming sequence begins when ignition key is turned off and the door is opened. The security light flashes on and off. Then when one of the door locks is moved to lock position, momentary voltage is applied to terminal GC4 of the CCM. At this point the system is armed and security light will then stop flashing and remain on awaiting final command. Then when the door is closed ground is removed from terminal GC12 at CCM. This is the final command and the security light will remain on for a few seconds then go off. The system is now TOTALLY ARMED.

At this point it can only be DISARMED by turning one of the door locks with door key which sends a ground to CCM terminal GD15

Because of the system being armed when one of the door locks sends momentary voltage to terminal GC4 of the CCM, then my feeling is that bogus and c4cruiser may be right on the money when saying it's probably caused by the aftermarket alarm.

Even though you arent using the aftermarket alarm I bet a function of it is wired in a way that accidently gives that little voltage to the terminal GC4 of CCM and falsely arming the factory system. At least it's a strong possibility.

My suggestion to you is to decide which one you want. Factory or Aftermarket. Then either remove the aftermarket or get a disable kit for the factory and leave the aftermarket. I personally would prefer the factory vats as it includes the starter disable ect. It's a pretty good system when working properly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by skateparkdave; 11-23-2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

After disconnecting the drivers door key cyl. switch the problem has not happened since. I ordered a new switch today at the chevy dealer it will be in prob mon or tues of next week and it will prob take a week or so to know if its fixed considering it is an intermitant concern.

I think you guys are prob on to something and I know that you can also arm the security system by locking the door with the key as well. This is a cheap attempt to repair and I will keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Factory Security System... I'm at the end of my rope!!