C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

KBD Targa Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default KBD Targa Mufflers?

I am considering the stainless 2-1/2" outlet KBD Targa mufflers from Eckler's. My goal is a bit more "sound". I currently have the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and they sound OK but I'd like some more volume and a "throatier" sound. Does anybody have these (or the non-stainless ones for that matter) and could you comment on the sound? I don't want it to be TOO loud either, I guess. I'm also replacing the front Y-pipe and main cat to the Walker 3-way system (no pre-cats).

Also, for those that have these mufflers, I'd like to see how they look on the car. I don't want the tips to stick too far back. I've seen some mufflers like this and I do not like it. As long as they're relatively in the same position as the stock units, I'm happy.

Thanks for any feedback!!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
MY84REDC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the KBD targa's and I think they sound great. they arent too loud unless you are getting on it. I also have a gutted cat. I think I have a pic otherwise Ill send you one tomorrow.

EDIT: here is a pic of the back end

Last edited by MY84REDC4; 12-02-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the full stainless KBD targas on my other '90 before it was sold. I think they sounded real nice. Lower, guttier, classic muscle sound. Not loud inside the cabin. I would recommend then to anyone seriously interested in them. They do not stick out further than the countour of the rear fascia, so they should fit the bill for you in that regard.

If you're getting them, only get the stainless version....they look MUCH better and will last much longer. And yes the higher price for these is very much worth it.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

I agree with all the above. I have the black ones with the chrome tips but I do have a few reservations about them. I have the 3" and they look great but I really don't care for how the ends look directly from the rear. There is the outer diameter and then the inside opening is only like 1" - 1 1/2" . To me its like it is "faking" being a 3" pipe. It reminds me of those old "Soundesign" speakers that appeared to have like 8" woofers in them but in reality had only 4" ones.

They also rust quickly if you don't get the stainless ones. They do sound good and if you don;t mind what I have said above...go for it!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

I had a set on my car, took them off and put them in my garage, TOO LOUD for me but they did sound good, got a set of 50 series flowmasters and they are loud but not too loud, sounds cool to
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alcee1
I got a set of 50 series flowmasters and they are loud but not too loud, sounds cool to
any resonance with the flowmasters? do you have the cross over Y pipe also?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

get the 3" tips. it's the tips not the actual pipe that connects to the rear Y pipe. it looks better.

i liked them but i ended up selling them for a buck 20 after i got them about a month or so later. wasn't the sound cause i did break them in they are super quiet when you first get it but after about a month of hard driving the open up quite nicely.

i took them off and sold them cause i like running straight dumps off the rear Y pipe and am trying for 12's while we got good cool air
Old 12-03-2004, 12:35 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the 2 1/2" stainless steel Targa muffler tips but, I had a muffler shop install the tips because when I installed them, the tips pointed outward and angled up. The muffler shop had to fabricate a new exhaust pipe to correct the angle.

They sound really mean from the rear but, they have a lot of resonance in the cabin. Also, my Vette is an "89" with the pre-cats and main cat.

I previously had two magnaflow mufflers installed but, they were as quiet as stock. I'm going to try the flowmaster 50 series when I get tired of the Targa's.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:37 AM
bmwgsa
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Alcee1
I had a set on my car, took them off and put them in my garage, TOO LOUD for me but they did sound good, got a set of 50 series flowmasters and they are loud but not too loud, sounds cool to
Which KDB's did you have Al and do you still got 'em?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys! They seem to look better on MY84REDC4's car than on Mad-Mic's (no offense, Mad) but that may be the difference between the 2-1/2 and 3" outlets. On Mad's they look like they angle up in the rear too much and they're almost touching the facia. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

Like bmwgsa said, which KBDs are sitting in your garage, Alcee? And are they for sale? Bmwgsa gets first dibs of course!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by 87Z52
Thanks for all the info guys! They seem to look better on MY84REDC4's car than on Mad-Mic's (no offense, Mad) but that may be the difference between the 2-1/2 and 3" outlets. On Mad's they look like they angle up in the rear too much and they're almost touching the facia. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

Like bmwgsa said, which KBDs are sitting in your garage, Alcee? And are they for sale? Bmwgsa gets first dibs of course!
your right and i thought it was the fit but it wasn't. pulling the old dumps off i pulled the cat from the TPiS front Y pipe and band clamp and just took a 2x4 and smacked the rear Y pipe to fit it back on and redid the band clap. i didn't feel like dropping the whole exhaust to push the cat back another 1" or so back onto the cat. it don't leak so don't fix it ......lol

on my friends 86 everything lined up and they weren't pointed up like in mine. the 3" is the tips only not the actual piping. seen them with 2 1/2" and i just prefered the 3" look. JMO.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are a couple of pictures of my 2 1/2" stainless steel Targas.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:13 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

I have the same as GKK, I really like them. Good sound, easy to clean.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skybolt31
any resonance with the flowmasters? do you have the cross over Y pipe also?
Yes, there is some but It's not to bad, plus my tunes are up so loud I'ts hard to hear my engine

Brian, yes I still have them in my garage and there like the one pictured above (blk w/chrome tips). The are for sale if you want them for 80 bucks. IM me.....

Get notified of new replies

To KBD Targa Mufflers?

Quick Reply: KBD Targa Mufflers?