C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Calling CAM timing EXPERTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:05 AM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling CAM timing EXPERTS!!

I have been trying to figure out what adv/retard i want to install my roller cam at. I've been fooling aroud with desktop dyno 2003 and noticed that 4-8* retard seemed to be optimum for my setup. I entered my EXACT engine data (head flow, cam card info, exhuast, etc.) to get a more accurate result. You really shouldn't go past 6* adv/retard with a cam either. For the cam i have, what should I install it at?? I'm lookin for 2500-6000 RPM range with the best numbers possible. I have a 3000 stall in the car as well so 3000-6000 is really where i'm wanting to put the numbers down. Here is the link to the cam card (some specs in my sig as well).

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...31&lvl=2&prt=5

Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your best bet there would be to talk to Crane. Most performance cams have some degree of advance ground into them already. If you tinkering with that you'll likely have a miserable performer.

The cam specs are similar although slightly larger than the hot cam. It's gonna scream in the 3000-7000 RPM range as it sits. I'd say just install it straight up and be done with it.

If I'm reading the cam card right

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
Intake 4.0 BTDC 38.0 ABDC 107 222.0 °
Exhaust 52.0 BBDC (2.0) BTDC 117 230.0 °

Means that it's already got 4 degrees of advance ground into it.

Last edited by Nathan Plemons; 12-07-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kpforce1
I have been trying to figure out what adv/retard i want to install my roller cam at. I've been fooling aroud with desktop dyno 2003 and noticed that 4-8* retard seemed to be optimum for my setup. I entered my EXACT engine data (head flow, cam card info, exhuast, etc.) to get a more accurate result. You really shouldn't go past 6* adv/retard with a cam either. For the cam i have, what should I install it at?? I'm lookin for 2500-6000 RPM range with the best numbers possible. I have a 3000 stall in the car as well so 3000-6000 is really where i'm wanting to put the numbers down. Here is the link to the cam card (some specs in my sig as well).

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...31&lvl=2&prt=5

Thanks
I agree with Nathon, almost all aftermarket performance cams are ground with 4 degrees of advance into the cam. If you want to optimize performance in a certain RPM range, give Crane's tech center a call and ask about your needs. Typically in higher RPM drag racing applications those cams are ground on something other than a 112 LSA. Most of them are ground on something like a 108 to a 106 for a real radical race cams with lots of overlap for high RPM power. The cam you have chosen is ground on a 112 to ehance drivability. Which means it has a lot less overlap as compared to a cam with a 110 or a 108 LSA.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 PM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i called Crane today and talked with the tech guys. They were recommending the same cam you guys were. We decided that with my near 11:1 compression ratio that I could retard the timing 4 degrees on install to compensate for the lower duration and prevent any detonation. The cam does have a 4* advance ground into it. This correlates with what the dyno program was suggesting too (maybe it will provide a decent guestimation after all :O)) Thanks again and I hope to get her built and get some dyno runs on it. I'm sure it will be quite nice!

Get notified of new replies

To Calling CAM timing EXPERTS!!

Quick Reply: Calling CAM timing EXPERTS!!