C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mix brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 AM
redgb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mix brake pads?

My 95 LT1 needed the rear brakes done. I replaced the pads with stock parts and had the rotors turned. No problems with the work.

I didn't have a chance to check the front but I'm assuming that they are due as well.

I've read that many forum readers like the HAWK pads. The question is can I use the stock pads on the rear and replace the front using HAWK pads?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:58 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by redgb
My 95 LT1 needed the rear brakes done. I replaced the pads with stock parts and had the rotors turned. No problems with the work.

I didn't have a chance to check the front but I'm assuming that they are due as well.

I've read that many forum readers like the HAWK pads. The question is can I use the stock pads on the rear and replace the front using HAWK pads?
Two possible answers Yes and maybe

Yes, there is technically no reason you can't mix them! The front brakes do around 70% of the stopping. In normal driving conditions, you should not notice any substantial "problems" or I guess the new word is "issues"

If you autocross or run hard and brake hard, you might want to consider upgrading the rear pads, but again so little of the sctual braking is done by the rear wheels, it may not make a noticeable change.

Have you ever noticed the difference in the brake dust on the front and rear wheels? Lack of dust on the rear shows lack of rear wheel invovement.

Now! That said! If you really want to make adifference, install the DRM Brake Proportioning spring which gets the rear wheels actively involved in the braking process! It makes a big difference!

Auto Manufacturers keep the rear wheels low on braking because the rear is generally lighter and they don't want the rear brakes locking up and turning the car 180. But with Abs this isn't a problem

seeya
Old 12-20-2004, 10:09 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

if you read the service manuals, it'll say make sure the compounds are the same.

however, there are a zillion brake jobs done every year by repair shops, and they only do 1 axle at the time. send it out the door, done.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Get notified of new replies

To Mix brake pads?

Quick Reply: Mix brake pads?