C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Taking the plunge....again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:42 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Taking the plunge....again...

Guys.

I have decided to take the car to the next level. With that I have a bigger cam in mind and also a Rossler T350 in mind with Trans brake.

Here are my thoughts.

I wanted to move to a higher stall converter ~4800-5000 and figured what the heck, I might as well go all the way with the T350 as well. Instanity from the forum is going to get my converter - and was going to get my tranny also, but funds were not there.

At the same time I am working with Neverlift on a bolt in solid axle design which he should be unvailing here in the next month or so. Still not sure on the price, and its greatly going to depend on if I myself even get one. I really hate to stick much more money into the car and especially with the 9sec barrier just around the corner. If I break into there consistantly then its even more money and mandates. While occasionally would be perfect - I hate to get too crazy. I still enjoy driving the car on the street - and not sure I want to take it to that point. If I really want to get that crazy I will put the stock motor back together and buy and all out race car 2500#, put this motor in it with a large shot of juice and go low 9s high 8s.

So my thoughts are put the bigger cam in the car assuming no solid axle, this will kill a little bottom end and make the car more reliable, as lately with the HUGE grunt this thing has its been breaking 1/2 shafts and spindles. The bigger cam will take some of that away and give it more topend power. In addition, the 8" converter with more stall will still maintain some of the cam losses. Which will probably be pretty much a wash in the end. So to kill a little more, plan B is to move to a T350.

With the T350 the first gear numerical reduction will lessen the huge stresses put on the rear, but its efficiency gains and better 1-2 gear ratio drop will keep the power on full tap. And most likely yield some better results.

So the plan in whole is to go to a larger cam, will be selling my current one, and go to a 8" TCI non-lockup converter with a T350 tranny with a trans brake. This will leave me with a Terriffic running 700r4 to sell to someone in need. The tranny is a pro-built 700r4 setup for manual WOT shifting (meaning it can be shifted at WOT manually) or can just be left in drive and it will shift on its own. Basically just like the stocker, only about 10x as positive. The tranny was over 1800 dollar new and has only a little over 7k miles on it. I raced the 406 on it, and the 434, and I can tell you it doesn't shift any different today than it did the first time down the track. The tranny is built with the best 700r4 technology and parts and was assured to last years at low 10s and 650 hp range. Dana at pro-built told me when I bought it I would never buy another 700r4 and I can say he was right. So I am very torn as to selling it in the event I don't like the T350 - but I have a wife that says it must go before the new one comes in. Therefore I am going to be selling it. I will let it go for 1100 dollars + shipping. It would be best to get someone that is relatively close and I would be happy to travel 1/2 way within reason. But its not necessary for the deal to go through.

Now some might ask why a trans brake? That is going to be hard on the rear. Well that is I guess plan C. If I get the before mentioned solid axle, then I can let it all hang out and leave at about 4500 RPM off the brake with no worried about the rear holding up. The only things I should need to worry about is whip-lash.

So there you have the plan from A-C. I have one inquiry already on the cam, and am open for the tranny. I can have it out in the matter of a day or so - so let me know.

Other thoughts are welcome as well. Main goal is to run low 10s in the heat of summer and crack the 9s barrier occasionally in the cooler weather.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cam in my motor is a 264-274. 650 lift with a 110 LS @ 50 and it drives just fine on the street . i also plan on going with a th350 and a ford 8.8 or a 9inch rear end . as soon as i do that i plan on spraying the car big time , over a 200 shot of nitrous. i say go for it
Old 12-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should just get a drag car.....Eventually that is what you are going to end up with anyhow. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

You definately have the need for very serious speed.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:16 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always tell my friend that everyone could build a mustang, camaro to go fast but when it comes to vette it’s little bit different. To make a vette go in the 9s it takes a lot more work than building a mustang to go in the 9s. Every corner at the local tracks you see fast mustang or a camaro and when people see a vette going fast they come up to you and ask you questions like they never seen a car that goes 9s. Building a vette is a total different hobby. Its not something you see everyday
Old 12-26-2004, 10:13 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

I say keep going with the vette, you already have alot of time invested and it would be a shame to let all that vette knowledge go. My race car is an 89 mustang coupe (369 ci and a 100mm turbo....powerglide ect) I really wish I would have built a 25.1 vette chassis instead. Keep going and you'll be there.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:20 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If nothing else, 9 second passes will be in your future.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Sinister87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If 9secs is your goal you can always spray the car and keep what you have now. About 6 years ago I saw a 91 vette with a LPE 383 and a healthy shot of nos with the 700r4 run 9.80's all day long, keep in MIND that this was accomplished after driving (not trailering) to and from the track at about 100 miles each way. I was impressed to say the least. I know you probably want to go the natural route but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. I'm just saying that this man accomplished this with a liveable, driveable car you could drive anywhere without being an all out drag car that you can't enjoy except at the track, then again ski these are just one man's THOUGHT's. Good luck and how's my chip I sent you coming along?

Last edited by Sinister87; 12-27-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:32 AM
mike 1985
Burning Brakes

You will pick up .1 just going to the turbo 350, in addition to that, it's easier on the rear just like you said ( now you know why my D-36 is still alive) , so just changing the trans will get you the high 9 sec pass and be easier on the rear. Then as stated above a 200 shot on a timer will save the rear and the car will go bottom 9's. Then at a later time install the solid rear ( as i plan to do next winter) and spray the 200 right out the box and you'll have more than you want and never have to touch the motor.

As for weight, mine is 2960 right now. Yours is probably close to that. I'm shooting for 2800 lbs after this winter. For ex. our seats weigh 65lbs for the pair, sumit plastic seats weigh 12 lbs each with alum brackets and fit right in the car. You have already deleted a bunch of accesories from the front the motor. Know how much stock carpet weighs with sound deadener and insulation ? I'll tell you in feb. Auto zone sells car carpet, my friend saved 45lbs in carpet alone in his F-body. The weight not only helps ET, but also helps drivetrain parts live longer.

Does Rossler have the long tail that will bolt right in to your car ? If not just build a longtail and get ahold of me and i'll get you set up with the adapter...but you will need your origional tailshaft housing.

good luck

Mike
Old 12-27-2004, 11:12 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
Guys.

I have decided to take the car to the next level. With that I have a bigger cam in mind and also a Rossler T350 in mind with Trans brake...

I really hate to stick much more money into the car and especially with the 9sec barrier just around the corner. If I break into there consistantly then its even more money and mandates.
It sounds as thought you are aware, but I thought I'd remind you that with 9's, comes a full roll cage and a 3 year chassis inspection, plus a few more minor items. At least with NHRA. What ever you decide to do, eventually, good luck.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
It sounds as thought you are aware, but I thought I'd remind you that with 9's, comes a full roll cage and a 3 year chassis inspection, plus a few more minor items. At least with NHRA. What ever you decide to do, eventually, good luck.

RACE ON!!!
yepper that is why I said more money and more mandate with 9s. Not sure I want to take it to that level *yet*.

Dad and I have been talking about getting an ALL-OUT racecar, but to me then your just another race car, even if your going low 9s. As someone said, when you have a vette and going fast - then people seem to notice and appreciate what your doing.

FOr that same reason I shy away from the nitrous. If I put nitrous on this motor it would easily go 9s in any weather, but to me its just wouldn't be the same. No offenses for those that use nitrous, I just like the N/A aspect of the challenge. And really that is what it is for ME, the challenge to get there N/A.

Someday I am sure I will get the juice on it, but for now I want to stay N/A.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:40 AM
mike 1985
Burning Brakes

Other thoughts are welcome as well. Main goal is to run low 10s in the heat of summer and crack the 9s barrier occasionally in the cooler weather

then just put the turbo 350 in it and take a little weight out and your done. The car will go faster and break less parts.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
94 guy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

shi dwn, who are you having cut the cam? did you get some details on size of it yet? i'm trying to decide on a cam myself just getting ideas. thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 94 guy
shi dwn, who are you having cut the cam? did you get some details on size of it yet? i'm trying to decide on a cam myself just getting ideas. thanks

Not 100% sure right now. I was pretty happy with Lunati that did my current one and will most likely call UltraDyne Harold and chat with him and his thoughts on it.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:59 PM
94 guy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what about cam motion or a guy named jay allen?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Once you are running mid-low 9's, the urge to do 8.90 becaomes insatiable. There are millions of bracket 9-sec doorslammers out there.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:16 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

Ski,
Very cool news. I sold my race car and bought the vette because I was getting to the point where the next level was going to hit my pocket book more than I wanted for a car that was so limited in its use. I envy that you are mixing the two so well. Although, I suspect the street-ability will be or has been somewhat compromised with you car. Regardless, good luck!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just get a MiniRam.

Lose a little on the bottom, gain a little up top. Then, shave some weight and be done with it!

Do a search, you may find a thread about this.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking the plunge....again...

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge....again...