C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

transmission conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:02 PM
jamiehjr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission conversion

Hey!

I am seeking information about converting a 1989 automatic C4 to a manual transmission. Are there any links available?

Besides the obvious hardware of clutch linkage, hardware, bellhousing, what else is required? Is steering column different with automatic lock vs. manual lock? Is engine management/computer need to be modified/changed?

Thanks!
Jamie

Last edited by jamiehjr; 01-04-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

My brother and I did this to a 67 Mustang and it was a huge PITA!!! I will never do it again. I will buy a manual car before I have to tackle that job again. I can't imagine that it is an easier task on a Corvette.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I will second that!
sell the 89 and buy a maunal lt1!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

well their are alot of things!
the dana 36 may not hold up!
all manual cars were equiped with dana 44s becuase they can take more abuse!
If ne thing dont do this!
its near impossible and by the time you are done you could of cold your car and bought a new manual and still ahve $ for parts!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
jamiehjr
7th Gear

Default I want to do it because you say I shouldn't

I converted my 1977 Trans Am Bandit Edition with a 400 Pontiac engine from Turbo 350 to Muncie M21. I used all the correct parts, did my research, and completed the task. It was a conversion to be proud of, even with the hard-to-find manual column lock and manual console. I would do it again.

I will probably use 86-88 bellhousing for 4+3 so I can use the Richmond 6 speed with custom gears.

It is hard to find a cherry C4 in bright red with black leather interior with a manual transmission without an exuberant asking price. I can haggle all day for automatic cars that are plentiful, put in a custom transmission and change the Dana 36 to Dana 40 with my choice of ring and pinion.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

well then you are god my friend
and more power to you
I know that MTI racing did a c5 conversion if that helps conctact them REESE *** is a freaking genius!
also try www.moreperformanceinc.com
they are very knowlegable
hope this can help

also did you consider buying an manual and repainting it...
your friend
Sean
happy new years!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 PM
mikenfl
Racer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there someone on this board in the processof doing one of these conversions? It has been a while back and I think he was using a ZF.......then again.....I have been wrong before :o
Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't remember either and he was posting pictures too. I don't recall seeing him post the finished project.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:20 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Perhaps you're talking about me or perhaps the guy that was installing a ROD-6. I have really only just begun the process however. I have the ZF and all the OEM parts (except a steering column). Right now I am working on getting my custom exhaust off the header collectors. The guy that made it really tighened the heck out of the clamps, putting detents in the exhaust pipe and header collector... It is not moving without some cutting.

Anyway, with good mechanical ability and some tools, this job is fairly straight forward. I don't understand why some people are just telling you to sell it and get an automatic car. The same philosophy could be applied to building up your motor. I am sure a C4 equiped with a 383 or larger could be had complete and cheaper than if you did it yourself, but then you would be buying someone else's creation.

My sig has a link to a pretty lame page I have started. It's really just a place holder for when the conversion really starts moving and I will put some more time into it. If I get the exhaust off tonight, I may go for broke and remove the trans this week yet and see what sorts of balancing issues I have with the flywheel I have.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Wow, am I actually reading this? Tons of people have done the swap. 700r4-> ZF Six Infact I think their are kits on ebay from time to time. I believe IBEAM??? is doing the ROD6 swap right now.
This is no new thing though. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:34 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't the transmission tunnels different between the auto and the manual cars?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:42 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiehjr
It is hard to find a cherry C4 in bright red with black leather interior with a manual transmission without an exuberant asking price. I can haggle all day for automatic cars that are plentiful, put in a custom transmission and change the Dana 36 to Dana 40 with my choice of ring and pinion.
Ah, so you're doing it to save money.

There are hundreds of red C4s with MT for sale right now. Probably very few of them are asking more than what you will pay for your car plus the conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To transmission conversion

Quick Reply: transmission conversion