C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey Mike, I hope everything is getting back to normal for you.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Zr1 Destroyer
Burning Brakes

Location: Thornton,Co. Press 1 to Proceed in English or 2 for Deportation ...don't let the fence hit you in the azz!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RatRacer
I already listed Mike Ebbert as an good engine builder. Try reading my first post.

Rod is in the trucking business. So what if he assembled his own engine from parts that he subbed out from EES or others. Do you think some guy from austrailia is going to be Rod's highest priority when there is a trucking business for him to focus on. Lots of folks build their own engines successfully. That doesn't mean **** for a guy that is halfway around the world. Rod doesn't build engines for a living, it's his hobby.

What is your experience with modified ZR-1's, anyway?

Dwight gives good advice here. Don't mod this car unless you are very patient and have the money to get it done twice.
Well I listed Rod Dewild as a good engine builder. Try reading my first post!!!!!

Mike is in the body shop business!!!!, so body work must be his priority and focus. All the Lt5 engine builders sub out there machine work(exept LPE in house machine shop) and even at that some of there parts are still sent out. Tyler, so tell me is Haibeck just an assembler(did Haibeck put in a full service machine shop in that I dodn't know about) , Mike sends his heads out to be CNC'd and purchases his liners from the same company that others use!!! He just must be an assembler also, so as far as this guy from austrailia is concerned every body is just an assembler!!! Thanks for shinning some light on all the good engine builders you listed, you should think before you speek!!!!!!

I have enough experience to Know that if you disassemble a "Lt5" and can't even come close to putting it back together right, You should just leave it together......(Maybe now a "TSV" Z)

All I wanted to say, is it's a shame that a guy shows up the past 2 years and runs the Fastest, but gets no builder credit at all. Tyler, you need to read my first post!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Zr1 Destroyer
Burning Brakes

Location: Thornton,Co. Press 1 to Proceed in English or 2 for Deportation ...don't let the fence hit you in the azz!

Originally Posted by chad1140
couldn't agree more ratracer
How special chad1140

Last edited by Zr1 Destroyer; 10-04-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:47 PM
NITROUS JUNKIE
Burning Brakes

I already listed Mike Ebbert as an good engine builder. Try reading my first post.

Rod is in the trucking business. So what if he assembled his own engine from parts that he subbed out from EES or others. Do you think some guy from austrailia is going to be Rod's highest priority when there is a trucking business for him to focus on. Lots of folks build their own engines successfully. That doesn't mean **** for a guy that is halfway around the world. Rod doesn't build engines for a living, it's his hobby.
Ratracer, I do a lot of performance work in my shop and can knock out LT5s quicker than most anyone. I built my 421 a week before the gathering, not months at a time like other builders. I do have a trucking business but its not hard to hire people to take care of it for me when Im wrenching in the shop.

It looks to me that most LT5 builders are "assemblers". EES sold me some liners and copper headgaskets, EES did not make the parts they were subbed out from a sleeve company and gasket company..So I subbed some parts from Mike...Well he subbed them in the first place.. So what? I have the torque plates to bore and hone LT5 liners...its not a big deal

So when it comes to LT5 builders...They are assemblers.. Haibeck, SGC, and others all sub out thier work. They dont have a machine shop...they have a garage and ASSEMBLE...sub out parts and machining thats needed.

I have built more performance engines than most on your list.. The LT5 is a piece of CAKE to build compared to some Ive done.

Speaking of the guy half way around the world.... So what means **** Ratracer? The people you mentioned are assemblers and sub out thier work..

Last edited by NITROUS JUNKIE; 10-04-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:08 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Who is Tyler?

I listed known builders that have established retail LT5 business. That's all. I don't know of a single person that has had their engine built by Rod. I know he builds his own engines and that they run well, but that doesn't have anything to do with building LT5's for retail customers. A guy halfway around the world is going to want and "established" LT5 engine builder do the work. That's just common sense.

Rod, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this. It wouldn't benefit you to get involved in one either if you have any asperations to build some sort of retail LT5 business on this forum. That's why you "NEVER" see the LPE guys, Haibeck, or Henderson post here. It serves them no purpose because everyone that gets into internet "flame" contests looks like a loser, even if they are only trying to defend themselves.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
MrCrowley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first must say some of you are wrong! My brother and I are joined at the hips in the zr1 bussiness. Yes there is a cnc head program that is used to make each runner the same. When you are dealt with tuning an engine that cannot be tuned to each cylinder, that is what needs to be done. It helps consistensy.

As far as us subing out OUR work on sleeves. Yes we do, it isn't cost effective for us to make our own. Can we make our own? Yes we can...but it takes too long. We don't sub out our welding! We don't sub out our boring of blocks, or honing sleeves, cutting seats, valve jobs, balancing assemblies. We do all of this in OUR in house machine shop.

So technically all we need is a cnc machine, water jet machine and a few more so we can make our own cranks and we would be able to tackle just about any job!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

No need to defend yourself Mike. Everyone here knows you are dedicated to the LT5 "business".
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NITROUS JUNKIE
Speaking of the guy half way around the world.... So what means **** Tyler? The people you mentioned are assemblers and sub out thier work..
Huh I never said nothing so who dragged me into this battle?? I know every one listed and each has strengths, if you want his business PM him and make it happen. If he wants to contact anyone listed we can give him email addresses to do that. Lets help this guy not confuse him.
Tyler
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Huh I never said nothing so who dragged me into this battle?? I know every one listed and each has strengths, if you want his business PM him and make it happen. If he wants to contact anyone listed we can give him email addresses to do that. Lets help this guy not confuse him.
Tyler
A PM with all the contact info was sent to him earlier today.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:54 PM
NITROUS JUNKIE
Burning Brakes

I know he builds his own engines and that they run well, but that doesn't have anything to do with building LT5's for retail customers.

So what you are saying is that I make my own engines run well but it doesnt have anything to do with building LT5s for customers??? That doesnt make sense

If I can build them to run good for myself...then why not for customers?

I have done other LT5s and many other engines for customers.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 PM
NITROUS JUNKIE
Burning Brakes

No need to defend yourself Mike. Everyone here knows you are dedicated to the LT5 "business".

Mike is dedicated to the LT5...but he is not a full time LT5 builder..
I think the only one on Cams list thats full time LT5 is Haibeck..

So Haibeck is the only full time assembler while the rest are "part timers".
Old 10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Zr1 Destroyer
Burning Brakes

Who is Tyler?

I listed known builders that have established retail LT5 business. That's all. I don't know of a single person that has had their engine built by Rod. I know he builds his own engines and that they run well, but that doesn't have anything to do with building LT5's for retail customers. A guy halfway around the world is going to want and "established" LT5 engine builder do the work. That's just common sense.

Rod, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this. It wouldn't benefit you to get involved in one either if you have any asperations to build some sort of retail LT5 business on this forum. That's why you "NEVER" see the LPE guys, Haibeck, or Henderson post here. It serves them no purpose because everyone that gets into internet "flame" contests looks like a loser, even if they are only trying to defend themselves.
The only "established" LT5 business's I know of are Lingenfelter and Rippie(i.e. catalogs,warrantys,ect..ect...)
As far as cutting edge and running what you build I would say ROD and MIKE have that part of the LT5 market cornered.

Who built your stuff ratracer?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zr1 Destroyer
Who built your stuff ratracer?
One of the guys on my list built my engine.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:20 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NITROUS JUNKIE
Mike is dedicated to the LT5...but he is not a full time LT5 builder..
I think the only one on Cams list thats full time LT5 is Haibeck..

So Haibeck is the only full time assembler while the rest are "part timers".
Everyone of the guys on my list are full time engine builders whose reputations and livelihood depend soley on happy high performance automotive customers.

Everyone of them can produce long lists of satisfied LT5 customers for references.

Building a solid reputation is paramount for all of them and that takes a long time to establish. Talking trash here is not going to further your cause.

Last edited by RatRacer; 10-04-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:44 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Who is Tyler?
Oh man - I was waiting for that one Cam!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

didn't know Mike was in the body shop business
Old 10-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Zr1 Destroyer
Burning Brakes

Everyone of the guys on my list are full time engine builders whose reputations and livelihood depend soley on happy high performance automotive customers.

Everyone of them can produce long lists of satisfied LT5 customers for references.

Building a solid reputation is paramount for all of them and that takes a long time to establish. Talking trash here is not going to further your cause.
But keep talking, it's funny!

Get notified of new replies

To LT5 Upgrade

Old 10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Zr1 Destroyer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A1990
didn't know Mike was in the body shop business
Yes, but he put's together some sweet Lt5's. 11.00 at BG w/ a wicked 60'

You should find the video of one of his launches at BG it's somewhere on here?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 AM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod definately gets credit for coming to BG and running the best this year, he deserves recognition.

That being said, consumers in this LT5 world are looking for a strong engine build that is going to hold up. Sorry to say this, but I don't think Rod has proven that yet. Rod, didn't you pull apart your motor already to build the 431? Not speculating that your motor needed it, but since you did, you didn't give anyone a chance to see that your motor will hold up for a reasonably long period of time. Same for Mike, we know his last engine will perform, but for how long remains to be seen. Hopefully, it will hold up well. Not saying people need to see years of life, but 4-6 months with a handful of trouble-free trips to the track will speak volumes.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 AM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rat Racer, he's something else isn't he? Brand new member too. You'd think he'd been around here forever and knew more than anyone else here.

Quick Reply: LT5 Upgrade