C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need some help...Batt.Problem??? Other questions...Long

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 PM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Need some help...Batt.Problem??? .Update/Thanks couple more questions..

Hi everyone,
I bought a beautiful 94 Admiral Blue ZR1 with 4k miles back in July of this year....I herniated a disk in my back and have been going through a house addition(from Hell) which has taken up all of my time.....I never registered the car because of injury and the fact that I might sell it.....Well I had a buyer at a good profit but I couldnt pull the trigger....Its such a beautiful Z and I think I stole it from the original owner. Anyway I did start the car and let it run about 15mins every 1.5 weeks and all seemed to be fine until this last month....I get in the car and can hear a clicking noise coming from around the pass. side dash or radio area...The battery was low enough that all it did was light up the dic. panel.....The battery is about 1.5 yrs old,I double checked everything to make sure I didnt leave any acessories on like inside lights or things like that . The weird thing is that even when I get in the car and close the door it still makes this ticking time bomb noise,lol.....I can get it to stop by putting on the interior lights or using a power switch but it will start again as soon as I open the door.....I did charge the battery and let it run for 20mins 2 weeks ago but today I got the same story....I finally registered the car today so I can get it ready for its long sleep (Iam in Park City,Utah) now that I have decided to keep it.....Iam thinking it just needs a good run to get the battery charged up and I want to run whats left of the fuel out and load it up with fresh fuel and stabil..What are some other things I should do ? I changed the oil but plan to replace all the fluids come spring...Iam mad at myself for letting this car sit and I havent even put 1 mile on it!!! I have to have it inspected too is ther anything I should be telling the idiots who have to put this car on a lift? Sorry for this VERY LONG problem letter but Iam very Happy to be back in a ZR1 again!!!!! Kevin
Old 10-26-2005, 11:39 PM
zesstey1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch security lite it is factory alarm should stop when key is turned forward as for lift they should have a drive on that lifts by wheels not bottom of car.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

ZR1OUS - Get a new battery, pronto. AC Delco 750 CCA will look like factory new in there. I cannot comment on electric problems, maybe someone else will give some advice here.

I ran my 89 on a battery that was going south, and I believe that is what killed the alternator.

About not pulling the trigger to sell. The original owner I bought mine from did that twice. Then he got a divorce, re-married, and I came along just at the right time. New wife sez: Sell! Sell he did.
Nice ZR1 !

Boatman
Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Dandy97
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Battery is toast, get a new one.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE/ Thanks and a few more questions

Bought a new Delco yesterday and everything seems fine..thanks for the feedback..I only had time to take it for a short trip(20 miles) because I had to get a safety inspection completed... I did notice it cranks for awhile before it starts(maybe 4-5 seconds?) . My reverse lights dont come on(probably the switch on the tranny?). It seems to run well and shift fine( only got up to 85mph) as a 4k car should, lol. No leaks or strange noises,thank goodness....Real nervous running on 11 year old tires too.Wanted to take it out more today but its 40 degrees and raining........This is my 3rd ZR1 I have owned and I sold my 2004 Z06/Z16 to get it...To me the ZR1 has more soul than the Z16 will ever have JMHO..Another reason I bought it was I have a secure feeling if anything goes wrong with it I have my service manuals and this GREAT site to help me through it....Does anyone know if ZR1NUT is on this forum....He lives close to me so I have to find a way to contact him...I do know he run an E-Bay internet business and it must be doing well because he seems to buy alot of things,lol....If anyone in Utah is out there with a ZR1 give me a shout!!! I just moved here from NY alittle over a year ago....Looking forward to the Spring already so I can exercise this beast.......Kevin
Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 PM
SledUtah
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I just got my ZR1 a few weeks ago. I live in Centerville, north of SLC. Looking forward to having a few more days to get out and play before the snow flies

Craig
Old 10-28-2005, 04:43 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1OUS
Bought a new Delco yesterday and everything seems fine..thanks for the feedback..I only had time to take it for a short trip(20 miles) because I had to get a safety inspection completed... I did notice it cranks for awhile before it starts(maybe 4-5 seconds?) . My reverse lights dont come on(probably the switch on the tranny?). It seems to run well and shift fine( only got up to 85mph) as a 4k car should, lol. No leaks or strange noises,thank goodness....Real nervous running on 11 year old tires too.Wanted to take it out more today but its 40 degrees and raining........This is my 3rd ZR1 I have owned and I sold my 2004 Z06/Z16 to get it...To me the ZR1 has more soul than the Z16 will ever have JMHO..Another reason I bought it was I have a secure feeling if anything goes wrong with it I have my service manuals and this GREAT site to help me through it....Does anyone know if ZR1NUT is on this forum....He lives close to me so I have to find a way to contact him...I do know he run an E-Bay internet business and it must be doing well because he seems to buy alot of things,lol....If anyone in Utah is out there with a ZR1 give me a shout!!! I just moved here from NY alittle over a year ago....Looking forward to the Spring already so I can exercise this beast.......Kevin

Get some new tires NOW !!!!!

I hit a second gear power shift with the old hard originals and ended up doing circles at around 45 mph. Not a happy feeling, luckily the car went off the road onto a smooth surface, another 100 yards and I would have been in the trees. Do yourself a favor, get some new rubber.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Originally Posted by ZR1OUS

I have found the new Delco's only last about 1 1/2 years on my 1500 miles per year '91. I just can't switch to another brand because the Delco looks good under the hood, but they don't last that long. Maybe drivers who drive thier cars more ofter have better luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:03 PM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
I have found the new Delco's only last about 1 1/2 years on my 1500 miles per year '91. I just can't switch to another brand because the Delco looks good under the hood, but they don't last that long. Maybe drivers who drive thier cars more ofter have better luck.
They ( Chevy dealership) told me it has a 18 month full replacement warranty...I dont plan on using my car that much either but thats what probably killed the battery I got it with(Interstate).....
Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
Get some new tires NOW !!!!!

I hit a second gear power shift with the old hard originals and ended up doing circles at around 45 mph. Not a happy feeling, luckily the car went off the road onto a smooth surface, another 100 yards and I would have been in the trees. Do yourself a favor, get some new rubber.
I plan on it first thing this spring!!!! I just want to run all the old gas out and just make sure shes running ok....I DONT plan on making any high speed runs with this rubber,lol.....Its too late in the season for me to do anything with it than just get it ready for its 6 month sleep....
Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Sgreg
Pro

And get a battery tender to go with that new Delco and you'll never have that problem again. Nearly impossible to keep a car charged with infrequent starts and drives.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgreg
And get a battery tender to go with that new Delco and you'll never have that problem again. Nearly impossible to keep a car charged with infrequent starts and drives.
I just had to buy a new battery this week. There are circuits in the car that will drain the battery if you let it sit too long. You're right about the battery tender, I picked one up at walmart for $15 bucks - Black & Decker 1-2 amp. It'll plug into your cigarette lighter and keep that battery topped up.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:15 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard ZR1
I just had to buy a new battery this week. There are circuits in the car that will drain the battery if you let it sit too long. You're right about the battery tender, I picked one up at walmart for $15 bucks - Black & Decker 1-2 amp. It'll plug into your cigarette lighter and keep that battery topped up.
You mean your battery tender plugs into the cigarette lighter? Uses the battery to keep the battery charged?

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help...Batt.Problem??? Other questions...Long

Quick Reply: Need some help...Batt.Problem??? Other questions...Long