C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Question for Jerry Downey

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Jerry Downey

Jerry I have a question about your Lingenfelter kit.

How much further does tha nose stick out than the stock nose ?

Is the car still a bottom breather or does it breath through the grille opening?

I am considering buying the nose, rockers and doors to put with a glass rear that I bought a long time ago but I am concearned with the length of the beak
Old 11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not buying the shinoda kit?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Doesn't stick out any further, as far as I can tell. Definitely a front breather with the new nose - good kit for a big *** intercooler to be mounted up front!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

The shinoda kit is mine and Terry is supposed to make the molds from it which fits a regular vette. The thing is is that he is not charging me he is making the molds to sell the kit and we will split the profits. So, I cannot rush him and their doesnt seem to be much interest out there to give him incentive to hurry up AND I am tired of waiting I dont think he will ever finish.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zr11990broken
How much further does tha nose stick out than the stock nose ?
I just had knee surgery and can only get around on sticks or I would go measure both pieces for you. Stock nose is up in the attic & my mobility is too limited right now. If it's not too late, I could get the measurements for you in about 3 wks.

Is the car still a bottom breather or does it breath through the grille opening?
Contrary to appearance, it is still a bottom breather for cooling, and the stock engine air intake is not affected by the LPE nose . I put the forced air intake on it to pick up air inside the grill opening, but only the lower half of the A/O intake opening is below the top of the grill opening. I am making a custom ram that will span the width of the grill and is about 1.75" high, funnelled back to the A/O inlet. It will sit back inside the grill a few inches and be painted flat black and be barely noticeable. On the dyno, the A/O forced air intake caused a loss of about 10 hp as compared to open throttle horn. I think the new ram air pickup I'm building will generate positive power gains @ 100+ mph, but no real good way to tell for sure. The Texas mile might be a good way to tell if you could get 2 runs, with & without the A/O forced air. Some of the Einstein types around here might be able to calculate the Hp difference (assuming the forced air went faster)

As it is out of the box, the nose opening (grill) is just for looks. The fiberglass C-beam that spans the frame rails prevents any air from entering the engine compartment through the opening. The lower ducts will work great for brake cooling when plumbed up.

I am considering buying the nose, rockers and doors to put with a glass rear that I bought a long time ago but I am concearned with the length of the beak
If you're in a hurry for the info, I can try to get someone to help me measure. Let me know. What rear are you putting on?

Jerry
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

I am surprised tha the forced air lowers hp over the stock setup. For give me but is this the breathless performance system or the one where you cut a hole in the bumper cover. Does anyone know whether the breathless works or not?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:42 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zr11990broken
I am surprised tha the forced air lowers hp over the stock setup. For give me but is this the breathless performance system or the one where you cut a hole in the bumper cover. Does anyone know whether the breathless works or not?

You mean the inverted air filter housing? I don't think it shows any gain over stock. I have tried every ram air set-up out there - they all rob horsepower - too constrictive. I run K+N and stock box - works like a charm!

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Jerry Downey

Quick Reply: Question for Jerry Downey