C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Problem with occasional stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 AM
black_bowtie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problem with occasional stalling?

About every other time I drive the car, once during my trip the car will stall out when slowing to an idle. I'm usually just get stopped at a stoplight, and the idle will just not hold, and eventually it dies. Starts again fine, and usually doesn't happen again, but still is annoying.

Lately I've gotten better at recognizing when it's going to happen, and a couple of blips of the throttle is all it takes to keep it going. Still, I wonder if there's a possible solution.

BTW, the engine is all stock, and this happens after it is fully warmed up. No codes, seems to be running fine otherwise, and ambient temp doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
jonszr1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to ck the Iac Idle air control valve oil has a tendancy to get in around it. also the pvc system hose leaks. or map sensor hose either full of oil or possibly a leak. These aren,t cast in stone just what i would do . hope this helps
Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

It's to soon to tell yet, but my car had the same problem. I changed the TPS, IAC, cleaned the IAC ports, vehicle speed sensor, new plugs and wires, pcv valves, about everything I could think of to with out correcting the problem.

I put in the new Accell injectors over the weekend and have not had a stall when coasting to a stop yet, but give me some more time before I put that problem to bed.

Mine would stall just as I came to a stop when coasting with the clutch in and with the A/C on, not as bad with the A/C off. Seems like it had trouble recovering back to 800 or so rpm, as it would drop to about 400 rpm just as the vehicle came to a stop, then sometimes it would recover, sometimes not.

I'm still fighting a problem with an extremely high idle, a problem I had before the injector install, Mine will idle very high ( around 2500 ) at the first start up in the moring then settle back down to normal after 30 minutes or, Do you have a high idle problem sometimes also ?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
black_bowtie
Instructor

Everything you said sounds familiar, except for the high idle. Have not had that problem...yet.

Based on your experience so far, would you suspect your primary injectors were leaking?

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
It's to soon to tell yet, but my car had the same problem. I changed the TPS, IAC, cleaned the IAC ports, vehicle speed sensor, new plugs and wires, pcv valves, about everything I could think of to with out correcting the problem.

I put in the new Accell injectors over the weekend and have not had a stall when coasting to a stop yet, but give me some more time before I put that problem to bed.

Mine would stall just as I came to a stop when coasting with the clutch in and with the A/C on, not as bad with the A/C off. Seems like it had trouble recovering back to 800 or so rpm, as it would drop to about 400 rpm just as the vehicle came to a stop, then sometimes it would recover, sometimes not.

I'm still fighting a problem with an extremely high idle, a problem I had before the injector install, Mine will idle very high ( around 2500 ) at the first start up in the moring then settle back down to normal after 30 minutes or, Do you have a high idle problem sometimes also ?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 AM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Originally Posted by black_bowtie
Everything you said sounds familiar, except for the high idle. Have not had that problem...yet.

Based on your experience so far, would you suspect your primary injectors were leaking?

Too early to tell yet, give me a while. only dirve the car on the weekends, I would say after I put some miles on it I would be able to tell.
Mine was occasianal also, so I'm not sure if the stalling problem is fixed yet ...
Old 10-10-2006, 06:17 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Well, it's not the injectors causing it. Started the car today and it was idling around 600 with the A/C on, sure enough, first stop sign I pulled up to.........it stalled, then stalled several times while I was 'testing' it around the area.

Soooooooo, if you find the problem, let me know, we have the same problem, but I have done a lot of stuff trying to fix it so you might want to drop me a line before you just start replacing stuff. I had it in the local Corvette shop a year ago and after 1200 bucks they didn't fix the proble.

I don't have anyone in my area I trust that can read the codes and run diagnostics, so if you do, that would be my first recommendation.

Iv'e replaced a lot of sensors, the map, cleaned the IAC ports, have a brand new map and map hose, and much much more trying to track it down.

Please let me know if you get yours fixed and what it is. Seems like mine has it good days and bad days as far as the idle goes.

Thanks

Joey Gibson
'91 #0997
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 AM
black_bowtie
Instructor

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if I find something that does the trick.

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
Well, it's not the injectors causing it. Started the car today and it was idling around 600 with the A/C on, sure enough, first stop sign I pulled up to.........it stalled, then stalled several times while I was 'testing' it around the area.

Soooooooo, if you find the problem, let me know, we have the same problem, but I have done a lot of stuff trying to fix it so you might want to drop me a line before you just start replacing stuff. I had it in the local Corvette shop a year ago and after 1200 bucks they didn't fix the proble.

I don't have anyone in my area I trust that can read the codes and run diagnostics, so if you do, that would be my first recommendation.

Iv'e replaced a lot of sensors, the map, cleaned the IAC ports, have a brand new map and map hose, and much much more trying to track it down.

Please let me know if you get yours fixed and what it is. Seems like mine has it good days and bad days as far as the idle goes.

Thanks

Joey Gibson
'91 #0997
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
tpepmeie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this for occasional stalling after decellerating to a stop...

Connect a scanner and look at your IAC counts at fully warm idle. Many times, the throttle adjustment screw needs to be re-adjusted to open the plate more at idle.

If your warm idle IAC counts are >20, then adjust the throttle screw until you get a steady 5 to 10 counts at idle. Then shut the car off, and re-start a few minutes later. The idle control will adapt to the higher airflow, and idle will seem normal.

This gets more air flowing in from the small throttle plate, rather than the IAC opening. I have found it solves some stalling problems.

Todd
91 1145
Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

9 years later, I'd like to know what was the problem. So I'm reviving this thread. I've got the same problem here: dies at stop/red lights. I'm sending you a PM JoeyGibson if you don't mind.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM
black_bowtie
Instructor

Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo
9 years later, I'd like to know what was the problem. So I'm reviving this thread. I've got the same problem here: dies at stop/red lights. I'm sending you a PM JoeyGibson if you don't mind.
Sorry, i can't be much help, as I have sold that car. Hopefully JoeyGibson can help you out. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by tpepmeie
Try this for occasional stalling after decellerating to a stop...

Connect a scanner and look at your IAC counts at fully warm idle. Many times, the throttle adjustment screw needs to be re-adjusted to open the plate more at idle.

If your warm idle IAC counts are >20, then adjust the throttle screw until you get a steady 5 to 10 counts at idle. Then shut the car off, and re-start a few minutes later. The idle control will adapt to the higher airflow, and idle will seem normal.

This gets more air flowing in from the small throttle plate, rather than the IAC opening. I have found it solves some stalling problems.

Todd
91 1145
What Todd said back then. I had this exact problem a few months after Marc did my 510 package and as I recall that is how he solved it. --Bob
Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 PM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. That means I would have to go to my dealership?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 PM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

Found the problem - map sensor hose was bent and also had some black dirt into it. Idle is perfect since I fixed that.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with occasional stalling?

Quick Reply: Problem with occasional stalling?