C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Best way to lift a Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack pad made to fit the four bolts behind the rear end in the middle with a floor jack works good also,
Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown67427
The doors are not a structural part of the car. The fact that it has hinges on one end and a latch on the other may appear to some of you as a structural part of the car, but it's not. When you use a floor jack, on any corner, as oppose to using it under your Dana 44, you end up slightly twisting the chasis. With the doors close, all your doing is putting stress on the hinges and on the latch. I've studied the structural design of the C4, and understand it quite well. Now, if some of you find this silly, please continue doing it in the way that makes you happiest.

I must ask where did this little bit of info come from?
I dont seem to see anything on my jacking instructions from the factory that says to open the doors wide open to jack the car up.

If you jack up the car even with a hydralic floor jack instead of the factory sissor jack and you do it correctly your using the same jack points that the factory wants you to and youll have no problems

I guess if we look at your structural knowlage of the C4 chasis does this mean I need to open my doors if I ht a pot hole or a speed bump at the incorrect angle because now I stressed the frame?

you need to get on the short bus

or maybe remove those non structural doors and drive around like a jeep

Last edited by phrogs; 12-13-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phrogs, on your car it wouldn't matter if you dropped it off from one of those helicopters you work on. Junk is junk whether in a wrecking yard or just laying in your yard.

BTW, jacking instruction are for emergencies on the side of the road.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know...if you take your car to Discount Tire they will try to jack your car after opening the hood, both doors and the rear hatch. I told them that I wanted all of them closed...they said that's the way they were trained to do Corvettes! I exlpained to them that was an incorrect way to jack a Corvette and that they shouldn't do it that way. In the end they jacked my car the way I asked them to. DOORS/HOOD/HATCH CLOSED.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Phrogs, on your car it wouldn't matter if you dropped it off from one of those helicopters you work on. Junk is junk whether in a wrecking yard or just laying in your yard.

Wow, complete a-hole comment.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:38 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Seems like a VERY personal attack there Todd Ferris of Richardson, Texas.... Uncalled for.

Last edited by guinnessdood; 12-13-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 PM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
Seems like a VERY personal attack there buddy. Uncalled for.
You could drop it off at my house......please
Old 12-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Seems like a VERY personal attack there Todd Ferris of Richardson, Texas.... Uncalled for.
Is that so, Uly Uplinger of Centerville, UT

C'mon ladies, you know how it works. I had not attacked the Phrog, untill he decided to make comments toward me.

Obviously there's a very tight knit group of girls here that like to dish it out, but can't handle it, on the receiving end. TOO BAD ! and grow up.

As for Discount tire trainning their employess to keep the doors ajar, gee wiz, maybe these people know something too. Possibly from experiences.....ya think
Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

As for Discount tire trainning their employess to keep the doors ajar, gee wiz, maybe these people know something too. Possibly from experiences.....ya think
Go ahead and relate some of this data please. This is the second time I've asked for hard concrete data instead of 'opinion'. If you're going to state you've analyzed the structural integrity of the frame of the C4, please state your educational background and automotive experience that qualifies your professional opinion as more than idle chatter.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Go ahead and relate some of this data please. This is the second time I've asked for hard concrete data instead of 'opinion'. If you're going to state you've analyzed the structural integrity of the frame of the C4, please state your educational background and automotive experience that qualifies your professional opinion as more than idle chatter.

You want some data, go look for it. It's out there. Now, Who I am, and what my credentials are will remain a mystery. But if and when I decide to let you know, you're going to feel like a fool.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Id like to see how quick your mouth is in person just hope you dont meet me in person

you still didnt answer the question Mr Expert where did you get YOUR info
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phrogs
Id like to see how quick your mouth is in person just hope you dont meet me in person

you still didnt answer the question Mr Expert where did you get YOUR info
Phrogs, you clicked on the wrong button for making threats. Find the one that says "Send a private message to :"
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Is that so, Uly Uplinger of Centerville, UT

C'mon ladies, you know how it works. I had not attacked the Phrog, untill he decided to make comments toward me.

Obviously there's a very tight knit group of girls here that like to dish it out, but can't handle it, on the receiving end. TOO BAD ! and grow up.

Personally I'm an Electronics Engineer and do not profess to have MUCH knowledge of structures...other than fighter aircraft...to an extent. I know that when we jack aircraft that all of the panels have to be in place to jack it. Really whatever the case...jack the car any way you want to jack it....it's your car. I do not think it is a good idea to jack cars that go against the manufacturers recommendation...particularly a Corvette or other fiberglass or composite bodied car. It would seem that their recommendations, based on the fact that they built the car and have been building them since 1953, would be pretty good. Unless you are a structural engineer and have studied the structural stresses, strains and structural integrity of the C4 and more specifically the ZR-1, you should not be recommending something other than what the manufacturer recommends.

By the way...if you're not a member of the Net Registry...please join!

Uly Uplinger
ZR-1 Net Registry
Events/PR Director
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

You want some data, go look for it. It's out there. Now, Who I am, and what my credentials are will remain a mystery. But if and when I decide to let you know, you're going to feel like a fool.
Why would I feel like a fool? I have politely asked for your data to back up your claims. Failing that, I've asked for your qualifications to verify that your opinion is more than simple conjecture. You have dodged both requests and provided no evidence to back up your statements. You are obviously a keyboard cowboy.

Unfortunately for you, John is not one to says things he won't back up. So......PLEASE come to BG so I can witness your introduction to our local member of the Marine Corps!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Personally I'm an Electronics Engineer and do not profess to have MUCH knowledge of structures...other than fighter aircraft...to an extent. I know that when we jack aircraft that all of the panels have to be in place to jack it. Really whatever the case...jack the car any way you want to jack it....it's your car. I do not think it is a good idea to jack cars that go against the manufacturers recommendation...particularly a Corvette or other fiberglass or composite bodied car. It would seem that their recommendations, based on the fact that they built the car and have been building them since 1953, would be pretty good. Unless you are a structural engineer and have studied the structural stresses, strains and structural integrity of the C4 and more specifically the ZR-1, you should not be recommending something other than what the manufacturer recommends.

By the way...if you're not a member of the Net Registry...please join!

Uly Uplinger
ZR-1 Net Registry
Events/PR Director
Uly, the recommendation the manufacturer is talking about, is emergency side of the road type. In the event you get a flat tire. The markings on the four corners are for that purpose, that's why they also include with the car a jack. The panels on an aircraft, in most cases is part of the structure. The doors on a Corvette are not. Take a good look at where the rear of the door comes closest to. Do you really want those two areas hitting one another ? While I agree, you can get away with doing it, with the doors closed, it's not the best method. Some of you guys have experienced driving your C4 up a steep driveway. Ever see the interior lights come on ? That's the switch on the door jam loosing contact with the door. Do people drive their C4 up steep driveways, YES, is it good for the car "NO"
Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Why would I feel like a fool? I have politely asked for your data to back up your claims. Failing that, I've asked for your qualifications to verify that your opinion is more than simple conjecture. You have dodged both requests and provided no evidence to back up your statements. You are obviously a keyboard cowboy.

Unfortunately for you, John is not one to says things he won't back up. So......PLEASE come to BG so I can witness your introduction to our local member of the Marine Corps!

Your a tooth doctor right ? How about giving me all of your credentials. Lets start with schools, and grades you obtained
Old 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Uly, the recommendation the manufacturer is talking about, is emergency side of the road type. In the event you get a flat tire. The markings on the four corners are for that purpose, that's why they also include with the car a jack. The panels on an aircraft, in most cases is part of the structure. The doors on a Corvette are not. Take a good look at where the rear of the door comes closest to. Do you really want those two areas hitting one another ? While I agree, you can get away with doing it, with the doors closed, it's not the best method. Some of you guys have experienced driving your C4 up a steep driveway. Ever see the interior lights come on ? That's the switch on the door jam loosing contact with the door. Do people drive their C4 up steep driveways, YES, is it good for the car "NO"
Door lights come on? Is this what you're basing your opinion on? My door lights don't come on on my C4 unless my door is open. This also goes for my bro's 90 Z, my father's 87, 95, 94. Maybe you've been jacking it with the doors open so many times it has turned your frame into a wet noodle? Better shut the doors next time chief!

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to lift a Z

Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Door lights come on? Is this what you're basing your opinion on? My door lights don't come on on my C4 unless my door is open. This also goes for my bro's 90 Z, my father's 87, 95, 94. Maybe you've been jacking it with the doors open so many times it has turned your frame into a wet noodle? Better shut the doors next time chief!
The lights coming on is not something I've experiened personally. Doc your a funny fellow. Too much laughing gas huh ?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:08 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Your a tooth doctor right ? How about giving me all of your credentials. Lets start with schools, and grades you obtained
WTF is a tooth doctor? Are you attempting to disrespect dentistry as a profession? Very clever!

You're the one making outlandish claims on a public forum and providing no evidence. Did you think everyone should post their credentials for no reason? You lack the common sense provided to the average squirrel. Here it is: If you claim something that is commonly known as false, you'll need to provide evidence of that fact or evidence of your credentials to qualify your 'expert' opinion. It is called the scientific method. Ever heard of science? Maybe you've got a science book holding up the corner of your double wide? Pull that baby out!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

WTF is a tooth doctor? Are you attempting to disrespect dentistry as a profession? Very clever!

You're the one making outlandish claims on a public forum and providing no evidence. Did you think everyone should post their credentials for no reason? You lack the common sense provided to the average squirrel. Here it is: If you claim something that is commonly known as false, you'll need to provide evidence of that fact or evidence of your credentials to qualify your 'expert' opinion. It is called the scientific method. Ever heard of science? Maybe you've got a science book holding up the corner of your double wide? Pull that baby out!
outlandish ! WOW, you have right infront of you, within your grasp, all the info you'd ever want. It's called the intranet

The evidence is waiting for you

Don't make fun of my double wide

Quick Reply: Best way to lift a Z