C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Service LTPWS Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 07:37 AM
PWRHSE2K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service LTPWS Warning

Good Day all, I'm a new ZR-1 ('91) owner and my Service LTPWS warning light pops on after being in the car for about 10-15 minutes. It was an intermittent problem at first but it is now constant. Keep in mind that it is not the Low Tire Pressure warning light but the Service light. Any of you ZR1 Guru’s have any Idea what this may be? Thanks in advance for your assistance. :confused:

PWRHSE2K
Old 10-10-2001, 08:30 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (PWRHSE2K)

This is quite usual problem that happends sometimes..

I heard that even other Corvette that drives near can give this error..

Somekind of sensor error reading I think..
Old 10-10-2001, 10:05 AM
The Dingo
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17, '22

Sometimes the service LTPWS light does not mean there is a problem. The owners manual mentions something about how sometimes the light may come on under certain conditions and then go away. My car did this quite often when I bought it, however it hasn't happened for a while (either I have a different problem or the fact that I use different tires now has a bearing on this).

HTH
Old 10-10-2001, 10:40 AM
HwyStar
Burning Brakes

I just took my sensors off when I had my new tires installed. I don't need a sensor to tell me I have low tire pressure.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that to for a while....till I ripped that damn bulb out. Now I don't worry about it. My sensors still work, I just don't know why that bulb would come on and go off. I did narrow it down to the left rear sensor though.

It's a simple task of taking the bulb out.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:08 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read up on this the other day in the Helms service manual because my car has the exact same problem. The book says to pull the code to pin point which wheel sensor has the fault, then replace that sensor and clear the codes. If that does not fix it, then its the receiver unit behind the instrument cluster. Kind of a expensive proposition in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:58 AM
MWR
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Day all, I'm a new ZR-1 ('91) owner and my Service LTPWS warning light pops on after being in the car for about 10-15 minutes. It was an intermittent problem at first but it is now constant. Keep in mind that it is not the Low Tire Pressure warning light but the Service light. Any of you ZR1 Guru’s have any Idea what this may be? Thanks in advance for your assistance. :confused:

PWRHSE2K
Probably a failing or failed tire sensor. You'll need a GM service manual to pull the codes from the computer. You can replace the sensor, or if electronically inclined, repair it. Email me offline if you want to keep your car original and drive over 70 MPH... I'd be glad to help.

Rgds,
Mark
'92 ZR-1 #032
Old 10-12-2001, 08:27 AM
PWRHSE2K
Advanced

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (MWR)

Thank you all for responding to my post!!! :cheers:
Old 10-12-2001, 10:38 AM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem a while back. After buying one of sensors, and making sure I had the right colors on all tires, the Damn light kept coming on!!! :mad

I had no choice but to get rid off the "bulb" :yesnod:
THe system sitll works ok, and it will show if any tire is low...
Old 10-16-2001, 02:04 PM
ZR1Rob
Pro

its almost CERTAINLY one of your tire sensors gone bad. find it by lowering pressure in each one of the tires ALONE below 25 psi, then drive the car a short ways. if the LOW TIRE PRESSURE light comes on, then that tire's sensor is ok. pump the tire back up to 30psi and lower the next one. turn off the car between each try. when you find the sensor that doesnt bring the LOW light on, get a new sensor for that tire and you'll be alright. also keep in mind MORE THAN ONE sensor may be bad, so try all the tires. troublesome, but the LTPS has saved me at least one tire when i found a nail in that tire.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:16 AM
RFUNRED1
Instructor

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (ZR1Rob)

I have one bad sensor in my 94 in the right front wheel. I removed that sensor from the wheel because it had come loose and had broken apart inside the wheel, making it difficult to balance the wheel. How can I disable the entire system without having to remove all the sensors from each wheel? For now I have removed the fuse to kill the dash light, however, that effects the cruise control. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-26-2001, 01:22 PM
Polar LT4
Racer

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (Jeffvette)

How do you take out the bulb?
Old 11-07-2001, 05:11 PM
Kenm
2nd Gear

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (MWR)

I have the same condition on my '96 LT4. The "Service LTPWS" light comes on after about 10-15minutes. The trouble code read says the driver side rear sensor is faulty. I called and talked to a service manager at a local Chevrolet dealer and he told me it could be the batteries in the sensor are running down after 6 years. He said the batteries in the sensors can be replaced or I could just buy a new sensor. Has anyone here ever replaced the batteries in a sensor or ever heard of anyone doing this? A new sensor costs from $185-210 so I'd rather replace the batteries if that is really an option.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:42 PM
Sleepy
Intermediate

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (Kenm)

The sensors do not have batteries. They generate their own power as you drive.
There's tons of good info on this topic on Scotfab's web site(http://hometown.aol.com/scotfab/index2.html).
Old 11-07-2001, 06:44 PM
Kenm
2nd Gear

Default Re: Service LTPWS Warning (Sleepy)

Thanks for the link. That's some really good information. You can't argue with pictures. I'm suprised this service manager told me they had batteries because I had been told he was very knowledgable about corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Service LTPWS Warning

Quick Reply: Service LTPWS Warning