C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Corsa exhaust... so quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Corsa exhaust... so quiet!

I just got a ride in QB93Z's car today. It has headers, cats, and a Corsa. It's amazing how quiet the car is inside. When driving at normal throttle, you really can't hear anything. It's like a normal car.

Under heavy throttle it was certainly louder than my car, but not painful. The quality of the sound from inside is perfectly nice. I didn't really hear it from outside, though I've heard other ones at BG and the sound is, well, it's not bad, but not necessarily great.

All in all it's impressive how quiet it is, especially considering it's in front of a set of headers. We then took a spin in my car, and it sure seemed louder after riding in his.

I tell ya, I think if I had a '91+ or maybe a black car (especially if it had shiny wheels), I'd be all over a Corsa system. As it is, I think the rough black rectangle tips suite the 1990 style better, and I kind of like the thum-thum-thum at idle my car has. But Corsa sure has a unique product.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Default The Corsa

Exactly the reason I'm removing my Corsa, The "Shine of the tips"! My Corsa is an earlier system without the "Corsa" embossing most carry.
I've spoken with a couple people regarding constructing a set of tips that will duplicate the '90 originals and bolt to my PowerEffect capsules.I'll likely end up with the black PE tips for this year and the rest will be a winter project.

'90 Black side moldings, black a-molds now and black exhaust tips!Soon!
Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Corsa mufflers on the factory pipes (they are wider and look meaner from behind) with factory tips would be cool. I doubt the spacing and positioning of the tips would work out for re-using the factory ones though. I also wonder how the Corsa would look with the tips and cans painted a flatish black, though that probably would look like crap.

Take picts of your project, sounds cool. Do you have the PE system fitted up yet? If so, how do you like it?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:49 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR1
Exactly the reason I'm removing my Corsa, The "Shine of the tips"! My Corsa is an earlier system without the "Corsa" embossing most carry.
I've spoken with a couple people regarding constructing a set of tips that will duplicate the '90 originals and bolt to my PowerEffect capsules.I'll likely end up with the black PE tips for this year and the rest will be a winter project.

'90 Black side moldings, black a-molds now and black exhaust tips!Soon!
Are you just removing the tips, mufflers or the whole system? I like everything about my flowmaster except the tips aren't shiny.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM
QB93Z
Instructor

Hey Aurora40, Thanks for the scan lesson. I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it. You gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for the chance to compare cars, I enjoyed the ride.
Jim
Old 07-28-2007, 07:04 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Bob,

Good to hear you're back on the road. I didn't ride in it but I did get a chance to sit in Jim's car while it was running. It is amazingly quiet. According to Marc it is a combination of the Corsa, the custom made resonator, and the Dynomat insulation. If I understood Marc correctly, however, the majority of the quiet tone of Jim's car is the Corsa system. Listening to Jim's pretty much convinced me that I'm going to go with Corsa. If that doesnt' do the trick I'll then add the Dynomat.

I do have an appointment with Marc in early August. Unless something changes, the work will include 4:10 gears and a Corsa exhaust.

Sounds like you introduced Jim to the Datamaster tools. I've been playing around with the file you gave me but I have not bought the application yet.

I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
Sounds like you introduced Jim to the Datamaster tools. I've been playing around with the file you gave me but I have not bought the application yet.

I'll let you know how things turn out.
Yup, Jim went ahead and bought the cable needed and gave the free trial a go. I suspect just about any datalogging software can use the same cable. Before you buy TTS, though, give it a try on the free trial. You get 20 runs, which actually is a fair bit.

All I really did was share my familiarity of the software. You should drive out here if you ever want to make a nice 3rd gear pull to datalog, there is a perfect stretch of road for it by me that we made a few passes on.

How has the car been running Scott? Have you been enjoying it more now that it's running better? Has the idle settled?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

It runs fairly well. It still searches at idle but I have ordered the suspect vacuum line. We'll see if that takes care of the problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 PM
pennstatefootball
Pro

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I just got a ride in QB93Z's car today. It has headers, cats, and a Corsa. It's amazing how quiet the car is inside. When driving at normal throttle, you really can't hear anything. It's like a normal car.
That's because his car went to Marc.... I'm flipping 8 plus HOURS away from that "master" and would LOVE to have his headers and gears put on.

I haven't driven in QB93Z's Z, but that is a work of beauty!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I like the WOT sound and the lack of resonance in the Corsas but I also really dig the LT1 tips. I have a set of them (stock tips) but I doubt they will work with the Corsa. Too bad they dont make a center in/center out muffler.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by dbriana
Are you just removing the tips, mufflers or the whole system? I like everything about my flowmaster except the tips aren't shiny.

I'm actually removing the Corsa complete and installing the Power Effects. The plan is to construct the rectangular OE style tips to bolt to the PE capsule outlet flange. I've also a B&B with an x-pipe I may try also before I decide which to make the permanent install.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
kmoudy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exhaust debate

I see the subject of mufflers, exhaust systems, for the zr1 discussed
here from time to time. And I thought i would share my, thoughts
trials, and deliberations.
When i purchased my car, it had watson headers, no cats,
and dynamax catback. I liked the sound okay, kinda throaty
not real loud, but with a lot of cackle, and resonance, around 2000
to 2500 rpm's. the dynamax looked alot like OE, but, I thought
it didn't really add much to the looks of this special car.
After hearing Jeffvette's car with Corsa and Headers, and speaking with
Marc Haibeck, (Marc endorses Corsa, and has documented proof,
the stock Zr1 wil gain HP with Corsa) I switched, albeit, i had already
installed Random Tech hi-flow cats to cut down the exhuast smell
and to pass emissions. What a difference a day makes:
My car does not sound like and old time muscle car, and ya know what?
IT'S NOT! It is a ZR1 designed to compete, heads up with Porsche and
Ferrari's, so, after the install, i could feel, a seat of the pants difference, in the performance of the car, and at the Dragstrip of Beech
Bend this year, the car performed, with 3 different drivers, almost a
1/2 second faster than the year before. I also think, the corsa is the
best looking tips, produced for the Zr1, but, I am from the Show Me
state, so.........Here's a pic with dynamax and Corsa, you be the judge.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kmoudy
and at the Dragstrip of Beech
Bend this year, the car performed, with 3 different drivers, almost a
1/2 second faster than the year before.
You also added 4.10's between BG's, right?
Originally Posted by kmoudy
I also think, the corsa is the
best looking tips, produced for the Zr1, but, I am from the Show Me
state, so.........Here's a pic with dynamax and Corsa, you be the judge.
No doubt, they look great on your car. But you have a black car and polished rims, the tips match up perfectly. On my car, redneck red with the black beltline, and painted rims, they would stand out. The tips would be the only thing on the car that is shiny. I'm sure they wouldn't look horrible, but they wouldn't look right (to me at least).

And no offense, but I thought your dynomax setup looked like

As to the sound, you are right, it's no big block, or even smallblock. It's an exotic motor and should sound like one. Though that musclecar burble is a pleasing sound. The Corsa seems like a perfect match to the dual-personality design of the Z. Quiet and mild when you are just tooling around town. But twist that power key to the right and lay into the throttle, and the beast is unleashed. I just wish it could look like the stock setup.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
It is amazingly quiet. According to Marc it is a combination of the Corsa, the custom made resonator, and the Dynomat insulation. If I understood Marc correctly, however, the majority of the quiet tone of Jim's car is the Corsa system. Listening to Jim's pretty much convinced me that I'm going to go with Corsa. If that doesnt' do the trick I'll then add the Dynomat.
Ah, right, I forgot about that. IIRC, the mod to the resonator was later incorporated by Corsa, right? It was mainly just the addition of an H-crossover? I don't think I'd pull my car apart to add dynomat, but it sure seems to work, his car is very quiet when just driving around.

Someone, I think SurfNSun, posted up a topic recently with some new stuff that you "paint" on the bottom of the car. It's supposed to weigh less than dynomat, and would probably be less effort to apply. I wonder how well it works?

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa exhaust... so quiet!

Quick Reply: Corsa exhaust... so quiet!