C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Needs some help.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Needs some help.

My slave cylinder went out on my 90 zr1. So I replaced both the master and slave. Installed the knew ones. I bleed it 5 times until there was no more air comming out of the slave bleed screw. Just clutch fluid. I had my wife pump the clutch pedal 20 times then hold it down while I was under the car loosening the bleed screw then tighten it back up. But there is no where near as much preasure on the clutch pedal as there should be to disengage the clutch. So I just called it a night. So where might I have gone wrong?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Found it best to turn the cylinder upside down (must take it off of the bell housing) so the bleed screw is on the top while you are doing the "pump" and "release".
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I reverse bleed mine with one of the mity vacs

Put it on the bleed screw and pump the fluid in
Old 05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get the plunger thing seated, reinstalled from the old slave properly, could it have come loose in there? Is the fluid draining from the reservior when you pump it?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
I reverse bleed mine with one of the mity vacs

Put it on the bleed screw and pump the fluid in
That's the way I do it! Also make sure the seals are in right on both the master and slave.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
That's the way I do it! Also make sure the seals are in right on both the master and slave.
Master should be fine.. no issues found with the master seals that I know of

When/Where did you buy the Slave, I think they are just now (within the last few months) getting them right, it does sound like you have a bad Slave Seal though..

just search my username with clutch lists in the C4 tech section I fought this for 6 months in 2006. I got it working in time to put the car away for winter then.. that was when Bill found and I confirmed the bad slaves
Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 PM
rhipsher
Pro

I kept wondering where this little leak I had was comming from for the last 8 months. Now I know. It had been leaking clutch fluid out of the rubber boot into the bell housing. Also the previous owner that had the car for two years also noticed it. In the last 8 or 9 months since I've owned the car. I've chased down a secondary vacume leak code 61 bad actuator and bad vacume solinoid and fixed it. Had a drivers side catylatic converter decide to exit the rear exhaust and had to swap both exhaust manifolds and cats out. On the later z's the cats are just bolted on to the manifolds. On the early ones their welded on so you can't just replace the cats. You have to remove the entire manifold as one piece. It took me 18 hours to complete it. And now the clutch slave and master. But this is all stuff that needed to be fixed long before I had the car. The two previous owners were made of money and really didn't care about the car like I do. So if I hadn't ended up with the car it would never have got fixed and would have just collected dust in their garage.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
willyszr1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what you mean the guy that owned the callaway snat 475 before me broke off one of the bolts that hoild the top on .used pipe straps to hold on the exhaust . . never fix the airconditioner . stk high side connector . took off the original wheels and subed them with the cheap crome zr1 wheels and put the old gooyear gsc s on kept the clear top to try to sell on the registry. never lubed the front end and according to his records changed the oil last in 05. it is just sad that people treat a special car like trash . she will allways have a good home here . for 2 reasons its a very special car one of 9 callaway 475 snat and the car the wife wanted more than anything .
Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willyszr1
i know what you mean the guy that owned the callaway snat 475 before me broke off one of the bolts that hoild the top on .used pipe straps to hold on the exhaust . . never fix the airconditioner . stk high side connector . took off the original wheels and subed them with the cheap crome zr1 wheels and put the old gooyear gsc s on kept the clear top to try to sell on the registry. never lubed the front end and according to his records changed the oil last in 05. it is just sad that people treat a special car like trash . she will allways have a good home here . for 2 reasons its a very special car one of 9 callaway 475 snat and the car the wife wanted more than anything .
Sounds like it found the perfect home.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Well its friday evening. And now I'm getting ready to find out what the hey is going on with this slave cylinder. Once I remove the slave then I'm going to take a screw driver stick it in the belhousing and push on that tab that disengages the clutch. If I can get it to disengage manually then I know for sure its the slave cylinder. That means either the seal is installed incorrectly, or the rod in the new one is not long enough to fully reach.

Last edited by rhipsher; 05-16-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

rhipsher:
Where did you get the parts to fix the slave cylinder?
Mine is starting to have the same problem.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM
rhipsher
Pro

At the local auto parts store. I just bought a new slave and master cylinder $175.00.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Well I removed the new slave and now it looks like the old one. Fully extended as long as the old one. The only thing holding the plunger pin on is the rubber boot. So I took a long screw driver and a dental mirror to see where the center of the tab where the plunger pushes and I started to push on it to see if it would move and spring back. I was able to push it 1/16 of an inch thats it. Unless it takes way more force than a human is capable of to push it enough to engage it. I think the spring inside of it is broke.

Last edited by rhipsher; 05-16-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Well my worst fear has been comfirmed. Took some long needle nose 30 degree pliers and I can push and pull on that tab inside the bell housing freely. What ever its attached to is brooken. So there was nothing wrong with the slave or the master cylinder at all. The slave cylinder fully extended was never going to reach it anyway. Its broke and pushed all the way back. I guess this means I'm going to have to drop the transmission to get inside the bell housing. Has anybody on this forum had the same problem and fixed it. And am I looking at another big job.

Get notified of new replies

To Needs some help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Needs some help.