C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 05:08 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal??

Hey all, I have an interesting one. My parking brake light comes on when I push on the brake pedal to stop. then I pump it a second time and it goes off. THe parking brake is down, I made sure a couple of times, but it still does this. Is one of my rear brakes sticking just enough to set the light off?

Ideas??

Brennan
Old 12-29-2001, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal?? (Rainy88)

Check your brake fluid level, master cylinder, and booster for leaks. If you've had a recent change of fluid make sure the bleeders are tight.

P.S. you are talking about pumping the brake pedal right. Not the parking brakes ?

[Modified by 8388, 3:57 PM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 11:37 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Default Re: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal?? (8388)

Right the brake pedal not the parking brake. I had the master cylinder replaced a few weeks ago. The level in the resevoirs are both good.

I thought there were two warning lights: One for the parking brake, and one that just says BRAKE tha would indicate a malfunction in the braking system. Am I wrong? Is the parking brake light and the light for a brake malfunction the same light?

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling there is something up with the mastercylinder that was put in... hmmmm.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal?? (Rainy88)

How far down does the brake pedal go ? Does it feel normal or mushee ?
You mentioned you had the M/C replaced, make sure your brake lines don't have air in them.
If it goes further down than normal, you probably have air in the line. Just bleed the lines to make sure.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:51 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...warn_light.jpg

Per line one: 1. Parking brake applied. The lamp (the 'BRAKE' warning lamp) should be 'ON' when the parking brake is applied and the ign sw is on
Per line two: 2. Warning switch detects a malfunction.

So yes the 'BRAKE' light serves a dual function.

Tyler
90ZR1

Yes I cruse here too.

[Modified by Tyler Townsley, 11:57 PM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-30-2001, 02:01 AM
Rainy99
Drifting

Default Re: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal?? (Tyler Townsley)

Yep. The pedal is mushy. I bet they didn't bleed properly.

Tyler. THanks for the info and the link as well!

Brennan
Old 12-31-2001, 12:39 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring you up to the top.

Let us know what the shop says
Old 12-31-2001, 03:46 PM
Rainy99
Drifting

Default Re: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal?? (Jeffvette)

I will. ZR1.net is giving me some good info. Funny thing is, I went and grabbed the little manual and the confusion I had with the lights is figured out. In the manual the warning light says "BRAKE" , but my warning light is a "(P)" and a "(!)" below it. My car is Canadian export, so I think the lights may have changed for that.

Most advice leans to air in the lines or the master cylinder that was replaced is bad. We shall see... Either way, the brakes are squishy.

Brennan

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal??

Quick Reply: Parking brake light comes on when I press on the brake pedal??