C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New C4 Carbon fiber hoods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one thank you for thinking about us C4 guys...we have been forgotten in the last 10 or so years. It is very cool to have a company think of us and manufacture parts for the old C4. I would love to acquire your hood and a few other parts in CF providing the cost is within my budget. I know these parts are not cheap to produce but perhaps if you were to get orders before producing them the cost could be reduced. I love the idea of paintable hood and other panels to lighten the ZR-1 as well as interior parts but they would have to be affordable. Again, I admire the fact that you make parts for the C4 in a time where other manufacturers have moved on to the newer cars. I will likely be a customer once I get the Z out of storage.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
scholtmj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet product
Too bad ZR-1s never came in silver or something like Cyber Grey.

When aftermarket cams for LT5s run $3.5k I don't think a $4k carbon fiber hood is out of line.

Thanks for making NEW C4 products!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by TommyL
I for one thank you for thinking about us C4 guys...we have been forgotten in the last 10 or so years. It is very cool to have a company think of us and manufacture parts for the old C4. I would love to acquire your hood and a few other parts in CF providing the cost is within my budget. I know these parts are not cheap to produce but perhaps if you were to get orders before producing them the cost could be reduced. I love the idea of paintable hood and other panels to lighten the ZR-1 as well as interior parts but they would have to be affordable. Again, I admire the fact that you make parts for the C4 in a time where other manufacturers have moved on to the newer cars. I will likely be a customer once I get the Z out of storage.
That is a nice piece.Im not one for the exposed CF,a painted hood would work with a high gloss CF inner support.Its too bad some here felt the need to $hit on this thread,89X2,do you ever have anything remotely positive to add to a topic?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackdogSpeedShop
our hood will fit any C4, and is built using a vacuum infusion process (vs. regular hand lay up). It also has a complete factory like understructure, so it is very rigid.

We have also come out with a line of 'street series' carbon parts, which still feature the carbon outer layer, but then utilize fiberglass backing for re-enforcement. We have completed development on most of the C5 and C6 parts using this method, and are working on the C4 hood. Cost will come down, but weight will go up. Exactly how much is yet to be determined.
Sorry I did not take the time to read all the previous thread, but I would like to know how much weight saving one of those wood give my ZR1?

Martin
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i think its awsome! deffinantly out of the budget for a 19 year old in college, but maybe someday when i can really do what i want with the car, i could find one... haha someday..
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRDZR1
Sorry I did not take the time to read all the previous thread, but I would like to know how much weight saving one of those wood give my ZR1?

Martin
Our hood weighs about 25 lbs. The factory hood we weighed was over 75.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
0BlackdogSpeedShop
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyL
We can do just about any part in carbon, but there would have to be enough demand. As C4 prices continue to drop, you get two scenarios. On the one hand, the price of the carbon parts becomes a larger % of the total car, but on the other hand, you can build a pretty cool C4, and still be out cheaper than a C5 or C6.

Yes, volume helps pricing, and yes, preorders would help, as well. If there are parts that you guys would like to see, let me know, and I'll look into them.

Toby
Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Not in my project budget right now but a nice option for the future. Painted would be my choice as well. GC
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackdogSpeedShop
We can do just about any part in carbon, but there would have to be enough demand. As C4 prices continue to drop, you get two scenarios. On the one hand, the price of the carbon parts becomes a larger % of the total car, but on the other hand, you can build a pretty cool C4, and still be out cheaper than a C5 or C6.

Yes, volume helps pricing, and yes, preorders would help, as well. If there are parts that you guys would like to see, let me know, and I'll look into them.

Toby
Part of the problem you guys have is that even as the prices of C4s escalate (as they will when they become collectible at some point), most of the appreciating cars are likely to be NCRS type cars where condition and originality are the primary concerns. Those owners won't change the hood precisely because that would not be factory.

I think the owners who would benefit most are the owners who race or track their cars where a few tenths might be critical. The OEMs face the same problem every day, and they typically make the same decision every day. That is to put the money into the powertrain to either enhance performance or to improve fuel economy. Weight savings are usually the last option, and even there it is to primarily to lose a few pounds to make the next lower ETWC for emissions dyno testing.

I do wish Chevrolet did create this type of hood back in the 90s when my ZR-1 was produced. It might have alleviated some of the nose heavy criticism about the car.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Great looking hood. I would have no problem swiping my cc for that but my car is Blue If our hoods were not a clamshell design I think it would have looked better being on a different color. If my c4 was black you would already have my money !!
for making a sweet product for the c4. There will always be those like me who dont give a rats *** about ncrs and keeping c4s ugly as they are stock.

If you guys could make CF Fuel rail covers I'd be interested !

Last edited by 5abivt; 01-13-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the idea of the painted top and CF underside. The GS stripes might be neat... not sure how that would look especially on my dark metallic blue 89.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like the price is down on these hoods. 3750.00 for the paintable hood. and 5K for the clear finish.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
looks like the price is down on these hoods. 3750.00 for the paintable hood. and 5K for the clear finish.
Ya thats better.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still too rich for my blood, but better than 6500.00
Old 05-20-2016, 02:02 AM
Aussie84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackdog, this is a rather old thread but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I decided to be a tad unique (or stupid, depending on how you view it) and use my 84 with a lightly modded CFI as a track car. Considering I'm not going to be getting huge power out of it, I'll likely just be tweaking. Anyway.

Do you think the 84 air ducts that run along the underside of the factory hood will be able to be attached to your lighter carbon alternative?

thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: New C4 Carbon fiber hoods