C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton

Wondering if anyone can help me out...

It started yesterday morning - Fired it up (in the 58 degree garage) and it seemed to be running weird - The throttle was sluggish, and it wouldn't rev.

I back it out (into the 17 degree weather) and drove for about 10 miles - Wouldn't take anymore then about 1/8" of throttle pedal before it would fall on it's face - Coughing, sputtering and carrying on like a hung-over schizophrenic cat (hows that for a mental picture? :D )

I brought it home and parked it (since I had to get to work).

I started to diagnose it, and tried the TPS sensor first (since I had a spare laying around).

Didn’t change a thing. I then unplugged the TPS sensor – The idle went to 2k, and it seemed to rev a lot better.

I checked the codes and found a 42 – DIS module problem (along with a 22 – But I would expect that since a 22 is a TPS code and I had unplugged mine).

I went through the diagnostic steps in the manual – Reset ECM and restart car – See if 42 sets again. It didn’t. But – Since it was there at one time, I started down the code 42 diagnostic steps.

I only got 3 steps down before I got to the “Bad DIS Module” block.

I have 2 questions…
1) If I went through the steps to find a faulty DIS module, would this finding still be accurate even though the ECM is no longer showing a code 42? (Keep in mind that I not only idled the car for 1 minute after resetting the ECM as the manual states (which didn’t set the code), I also drove it about 3 miles and still no code)
2) If this all sounds like the DIS module is bad, does anyone know where I can get one? I was able to locate an “Ignition Control Module” using NAPA’s online search, but I’m not sure if the term they are using is the same thing as the DIS module (which I think it is, but don’t know for sure).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

[Modified by Avi, 10:38 AM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (Avi)

Avi, after re-setting the ECM did your car continue to run crappy ? that module controls the timming and firing of the spark. A friend had to replace it once, cost is about $60.00.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:33 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (8388)

Sure that she's lighting up all 8 plug's ?
Old 01-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (FrankUrbinati)

Yup - Continued after ECM reset. I've priced them and they're $690 :eek: NAPA also shows a Reman'd for $179.

Where did the $60 one come from, what's the part number, and where do I get one??

Frank,
Yup - Firing on all 8 at an idle, and when you slowly rev the motor - Misses otherwise.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (8388)

The DIS module on a LT5 is ~$450. Best to make sure that is what the problem is first. Mine failed completely no codes nada. If you have someone near that could 'lend' you a good one to make sure that would be best. Just make sure you belong to the plenum pullers club. If you need one check with Dave Bright on the ZR1 net for prices and availability.

Tyler
90ZR1
Old 01-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (Tyler Townsley)

Tyler,
Thanks for the info - We have 4 ZR-1's in our club, but I don't think anyone would want to "lend" me one since it's such a PITA to pull it - And yes, I am a member of the plenum pulling club... :D
Old 01-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (Avi)

Unless we're talking about a different part, I just called my local parts store just to make sure, and they quoted me $59.95 for the DIS module.

*Retract* that was for the Lt 1 or 4 sorry, Lt5 is more money.
I've never had to replace mine was just going by what I was told.

[Modified by 8388, 12:21 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

They do show a reman? Guess what I will do with my old one now, I could use a spare.

Tyler
90ZR1
Old 01-07-2002, 11:27 PM
LT5PWR
Racer

Have you checked the vacuum hose near the rear of the engine at the back of the plenum? I would bet that if the problem began abuptly then that could be the probem. Did the car back fire at any point recently?
Old 01-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton (LT5PWR)

LT5PWR,
Nope - It's not the the infamous "little-friggen-vaccuum-line-that-not-even-my-2-year-old-with-tiny-hands-can-get-to". That's the first place I always check.

As for the backfire - Nope - I learned (a long time ago) to not let up on the starter until it fires :D

Get notified of new replies

To Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton

Quick Reply: Help - My Zr-1 is doing an bad impression of a Briggs & Stratton