C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 brakes $12000 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
007Duc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure who here cares, but there is a guy on the forum here putting these ZR1 Carbon Ceramic brakes on his C5Z. If you consider that they out perform iron big brake kits, even if just slightly, plus the rate at which they wear, if you don't track your car every week could potentially last the life of your car, pads and rotors, actually make them cheaper then an iron big brake kit over the life of the vehicle. Because you will be replacing rotors and pads with the iron kits which are not cheap by any means.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
I have 6 piston Monoblock 6S BAER Calipers and they were only $3,000.

They stop pretty good - $10,000+ is crazy for brakes.

6 pistons Wilwood, Baer, Stoptech, etc... are very efficient (amazing) with the proper pads for the track and over kill for the road.
The standard 2 pistons C4 ZR-1 system work fine with good pads and are quite impressive with DTC 70 frt & 60's rr on the track!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 PM
mgg
Instructor

Default overkill

MRDZR-1 you are absolutely correct. Any of the following are excellent brake set ups for the street. Six piston Wilwood, Stoptech, Baer are reasonably priced and with the correct pad for the street are more than adequate. For racing you must consider replacement parts. This is where it gets expensive. I have used with great success Wilwood GN six piston calipers on my race car . They have NO bling value but stop as well if not better than any brake package I have driven. MY car weighs about 2860 lbs (c4) with stock brakes at the rear and cannot think of one occasion of being out braked for a pass by another competitor. These brakes can withstand 20 minute sprints braking from 150mph regularly. With excellent cooling ducts these things are fantastic. The Wilwood superlights that I have on my ZR-1 with a midly aggressive sreet pad are fine for the street. Highly unlikely you will ever get even remotely close to track temps so fade is probably not ever going to be an issue. The best part aabout the WILWOOd gn is rotor replacement. You can buy Coleman rotors for about half to a third of what the other manufactures want. If your racing and going through rotors and pads this is a BIG factor. As mentioned a set of C5 brakes with good pads is a nice upgrade as well for not a lot of money. The best news is that there are many good choices but 12k ZR1 would not be on my list! As you well know make sure whar ever package you choose will fit with your current wheel set up. Brakes are a great upgrade that you can feel immediately after they are bedded in properly. Good luck.
Mike
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by MRDZR1
Even C5 brakes up-grade with top notch pads and SS brake lines would do great on the C4 ZR1!

But, Baer does have great gear!!!
Graham Behan said Lingenfelter would not use Baer brakes again.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
scholtmj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Why?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM
scholtmj
Instructor

????
Old 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by scholtmj
Why?
Because they had a set on one of their cars doing brake testing and
Fastest Mile. 3 rotor cracked, one each run randomly. Graham said they literally heard what sounded like a rifle shot when the car was cooling down and the found rotors cracked nearly in half. They asked the Baer representatives to explain how hey were treating the rotors and no satisfactory explanation was given. That's when Graham told Baer they would never use their stuff again. They now use Alcon and Brembo.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
scholtmj
Instructor

Fastest Mile. 3 rotor cracked, one each run randomly. Graham said they literally heard what sounded like a rifle shot when the car was cooling down and the found rotors cracked nearly in half. They asked the Baer representatives to explain how hey were treating the rotors and no satisfactory explanation was given. That's when Graham told Baer they would never use their stuff again. They now use Alcon and Brembo.
Ah, gotcha. I remember reading that regarding LPE's TT Z06 - maybe in a Motor Trend. Disturbing Baer could not give any technical data regarding the rotors.

I have a 6P kit on my Trans Am, but it's a little shy of 1000hp.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/vehicles...7-shoot-out-ca
Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't see doing any exotic brakes on a street C4. Whatever the lightest rotor setup with an upgraded caliper seems good enough to me.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

They might be fragile compare to other brand but, when you track (use them hard) you need to cool them gradualy as possible so the expension cycle does not cause them to crack. But it sound like Baer might had an issue here?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Cussy
Cruising

Default ZR1 rotors and pads with sensors 5k miles asking $5500

Originally Posted by BAM92
Man, those new ZR1 Brembo brakes are awesome, but they list for just over 12 grand. I think there is a vendor here that can get them for 9 though.
I have a complete set of carbon fiber rotors ft and rear with pads with sensors pads are at 10 mm 5k miles if interested call me at 863-393-2343

Last edited by Cussy; 01-21-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Forgot a text
Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cussy
I have a complete set of carbon fiber rotors ft and rear with pads with sensors pads are at 10 mm 5k miles if interested call me at 863-393-2343
You mean carbon ceramic?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I remember that story! I have the older BAER Alcon brakes with the LPE logos on them but that was back in 97

now you can get the CF ZR-1 rotors for about 1200 each or less, and the calipers aren't that bad either. nice upgrade, give me 12k and I'll laugh at the bank with the rest of the cash!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Was this 20+ years ago? Or when? I've always heard good stuff about Baer. I've also heard that if the rotors are drilled you increase the risk of cracking. So if they hammered a set of drilled ones it might explain. Their products should have improved over the years as most others have. Just my opinion fellas.

Quick Reply: ZR1 brakes $12000 bucks