C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Pocono Drag Lodge

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pocono Drag Lodge

hey everyone..I've heard stories and have actually seen pictures of the old Pocono drag lodge in Bear Creek, PA..i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard anything about it and if anyone knew who owns it currently because i would like to take some pictures and perhaps take a memorable trip down this historic dragway. thank you
Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, you mean the place off 115 between Blakeslee and Wilkes-Barre? By the Bear Creek Dam that had so much trouble due to leaks 20 years ago? I remember it well! I used to live near there.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that exactly the place i'm talking about there's a road next to a cell phone tower that leads to the old track..do you by any chance kno if your allowed on it?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

I know I am allowed on it - I have a lifetime membership. You can poke around if you want. Just don't do it during deer season. I'd give you a tour, but I moved about 1500 miles away. Been there, done that - time to move on. Actually I spent more time about 30 miles down the road at Pocono International - back when the Indy cars still ran there. Before Paul Newman and Carl Haas moved them to Nazareth. Even tho Paul is no longer with us, I don't buy his salad dressing because of this. (J/K) Remember the Formula 5000 cars, when Mario was still in his prime? That area surely does have some racing history. Last time I was up there, they had a 1/8 track down on 209 near Beltsville (between Lehighton and Brodheadsville). Not my cup of tea - too many ricers and junkers. Actually, my favorite track of all time was the old Dorney Park Stock Car track in Allentown. Got shut down in the 70's because the cars made too much noise, and Dorney wanted to put in a water park. I'm getting old, but I still have my memories...
Old 04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Let me just add one more thought....

The one track I will never forget from that area is my childhood starting grounds - the Lehigh Valley Quarter Midget Racing track in Kuhnsville, just off Tilghman Street where it humps over the railroad tracks. It's been gone for 30 or 40 years, but that is where I got my racing start.

Last time I heard, the kids were still racing at the corner of 115 and Long Pond Road, near the entrance to Pocono International. It is so ironic that this racing ended up in the same area you are talking about. There are so many stories to be told about all this.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

One last thought.....

When I was a little kid in the early 60's, I would sit outside my house on a Saturday night in the Lehigh Parkway area of Allentown, and listen to the stock car races at Dorney Park. I'll never forget the feature races, where there were so many cars on the track that there was a continuous loop of cars all around the track!!! You guys were AWESOME!!!! (hoping you are still out there, or can relate to this post) Those were MY days.....

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono Drag Lodge

Quick Reply: Pocono Drag Lodge