C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

[CALLAWAY] Radiator options???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 12:36 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default [CALLAWAY] Radiator options???

Are there any options for a higher cooling radiator for Callaways? I remember the one I test drove....when we got done the coolant was boiling pretty good. You could hear it. Maybe that was air in the system, Im not sure, but a cooler running turbo car is a good thing, I would imagine.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: [CALLAWAY] Radiator options??? (SurfnSun)

My 88 convertible has the optional radiator, but tends to run hot because it still has the factory chip, which turns the fans at a much higher temperature.
My 91 has the factory radiator but runs cooler because its got an aftermarket chip, which turns the fans at a cooler temperature. I know that if I had the equivalent chip in my 88 it would run cooler aswell, and maybe under extreme conditions the optional radiator would be beneficial, but so far the factory style radiator has been sufficient.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '87 has the upgraded cooling system. The radiator was supposedly part of the deal, not sure what else. The car runs soooo cool when the weather is in the 40's/50's that the car will sit and idle for a good 15 minutes before the gages even hit 150 degrees for the water.. Oil? Gotta get out and nail it to bring it up much above 180. While cruising in the cooler weather it'll hang around 160degrees for both oil and water.. I find myself running the car without the O.D. and in a higher gear than normal to keep the temp up. Of course, a few throttle blasts will bring it up pretty quickly, but tends to generate a lot of attention in traffic. I asked David F if there was supposed to be a thermostat in the oil cooler system and the answer was no. Apparently Callaway recognized that the cooling upgrade was a little toooo cool in the winter months of the Northeast. I found a bulletin in all my paperwork that mentions that the cars with the "update" should have the oil changed every 1500 miles :crazy: due to the evaporative system being basically disfunctional with the cooler oil running temps. Oh yeah, the early cars had the addition of the pusher fan in front of the radiator...
Old 02-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Stan A
Racer

The 88 had coolant related issues. There are several ways to help this issue. Eckler's has several after market high performance radiator flow units and offers several high flow water pump system too. I am sorry I don'y have the page listing with these items at hand but they are easy to find.

Having the chip re-program is simple to do. Anyone that needs this done email me directly. We have source that does quality work at great prices. Also anyone with a 87 or 88 that wants to "turn off" automatic overdrive shift, let me too. This is a real system saver. Help to reduce overdrive failures. :chevy :seeya
Old 02-05-2002, 12:34 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Also anyone with a 87 or 88 that wants to "turn off" automatic overdrive shift, let me too. This is a real system saver. Help to reduce overdrive failures. :chevy :seeya
Is this the re-wiring to bypass the computer? I am still looking for a method to reprogram the autoshifts in the shifts somehow if you happen to know. :)
Old 02-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Stan A
Racer

Default Re: (scorp508)

No, it is turn off. No by-passing as I understand it.

It is great saver.... The Callaway Registry car had it done a few years back and it was nice. No suprise shifts at the wrong time like when you ar slowing down in second gear overdrive and the system kicks in and suddenly you are "fish-tailing" everywhere because you are in straight second at high RPMs.

Again, well worth it.

Stan A :seeya :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To [CALLAWAY] Radiator options???

Quick Reply: [CALLAWAY] Radiator options???