C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT-5 and Northstar, Compatible Parts?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT-5 and Northstar, Compatible Parts?

I was wandering thru a junk yard here in Albuquerque and came across a number of "Cash for Clunkers" Northstars. A few of these had been ravaged and were in pieces.

I noticed a number of very interesting things.
1. The Coil packs appear to be identical to the LT-5, they are just mounted in line.

2. The starter is in the same place as the LT-5 and appears to be the same one.

Has anyone ever looked to see if they are the same or could be substituted for the one used on the LT-5.

With GM dumping all of the LT-5 supplies and after market companies charging a premium for these parts it would be nice to have another option!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Spirit
I was wandering thru a junk yard here in Albuquerque and came across a number of "Cash for Clunkers" Northstars. A few of these had been ravaged and were in pieces.

I noticed a number of very interesting things.
1. The Coil packs appear to be identical to the LT-5, they are just mounted in line.

2. The starter is in the same place as the LT-5 and appears to be the same one.

Has anyone ever looked to see if they are the same or could be substituted for the one used on the LT-5.

With GM dumping all of the LT-5 supplies and after market companies charging a premium for these parts it would be nice to have another option!

Never head but if your right there with some close to you why not check it out and let us now.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Coil packs are super common. Every 3800 V6, 4.3L V6, Northstar V8 and likely more have used the same coil packs. They will always be available from GM. The starter is used on many, many import vehicles as well as some GM vehicles, so they will always be available as well.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Coil packs are super common. Every 3800 V6, 4.3L V6, Northstar V8 and likely more have used the same coil packs. They will always be available from GM. The starter is used on many, many import vehicles as well as some GM vehicles, so they will always be available as well.
Having just gone thru a starter motor swap, I think the LT-5 starter has a harness connector that is different from the rest. The stock connector is a square while the generic starter connector is more rectangular. It doesn't fit so be careful of those "LT-5 starters" on eFlay.
Also, I'm pretty sure the N* ignition module will not work with our systems.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great timing for this post, I was going to ask about the Northstar also. I have never seen a Northstar motor but know it is somewhat similar to the LT5.

I have a chance to buy a complete car dirt cheap and was thinking of buying it just to take the motor apart to see how the LT5 is built. Would I gain any insight by doing this with this motor? I would like to acquire some working knowledge on these motors but I would rather learn on something besides my ZR-1!

Thanks, CJ
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both, a 4.0L Northstar and the LT5. I'm no expert on either, but I don't think there's much that would interchange. The coils are similar but not the same, though I don't know what all the differences are on coils for the N*, Buick V6, LT5, and others. They have different part #'s though, maybe the size is different.

The N* crank timing is totally different, it's a 23-slot reluctor, and I think 56-slot on the 2nd gen (2000+) motors. I believe all of them used the PCM for ignition timing, no external ignition module was used. Maybe some fasteners could be interchanged?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

marc haibeck did a great article on the design similarities but the northstar is a completely different engine

for the MY95 ZR-1 project they were going to go to a northstar computer and a single injector to save the ECM retooling costs and share more of the electronics

as far as the hard parts, I don't know but I doubt much stuff beyond the common sensors, coils, and things like that interchange

would be cool if it did! there are a zillion northstars out there

I've seen a few twin turbo northstars in hot rods, and they put out some decent power

I'd like to see chevy bring back DOHC v8s

a new block and crank and a pair of ecotec direct injection heads with the twin turbos comes to mind. would be ez for GM to build and put out some decent power and economy
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'd like to see chevy bring back DOHC v8s
GM decided to abandon the Northstar rather than update it. I doubt they'll be designing or introducing any other DOHC V8's anytime soon.

Hyundai is getting it done, though, with an affordable 375hp DOHC V8.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

yes, chevy had the "big" northstar replacement designed and ready to go. unfortunately due to the financial challenges, they pulled the plug

looked like it would have produced well over 400 HP

I remember the "aurora" and "indy" motors

lots of good work (illmor) went into those

there are quite a few DOHC "haters" out there, but I can't help but think that a relatively compact DOHC could be a great engine

no doubt GM has refined the pushrod LSx into very efficient and powerful, lightweight (and cheap!) packages, but I believe the DOHC to be superior in many ways, and variable cam phasing is pretty cool stuff

hope to see gm get back on that track and build a big displacement DOHC engine to compete with the "furreners" again

Get notified of new replies

To LT-5 and Northstar, Compatible Parts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT-5 and Northstar, Compatible Parts?