C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

E3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Tomcat74
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default E3 Spark Plugs

Players' Has anyone tired E3 Spark Plugs. Like your feedback.

Tomcat 74
91 ZR1 #906
http://pnwzr1.net
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
wcvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not tried them in my Z. I did put them in my 92 m6 trying to get it to pass smog. The car passed but I didn't notice any change good or bad. I think the hype is for more efficiency. FWIW
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Affirmative! I posted a reply on the other forum but I am pretty happy with em.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
flyboybob
Intermediate

I'm running them in my 91, and have felt a seat of the pants increase in performance.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboybob
I'm running them in my 91, and have felt a seat of the pants increase in performance.
Were you under the influence of anything??
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM
flyboybob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
Were you under the influence of anything??
probable, i just can't remember! lol, i put these in after running ac delco for a long time. i use to run split fire and liked them also.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Now, just how are we suppose to objectively analyze the "before and after" result on the seat of you pants? (NOT that we'd really want to!)

P.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

There is zero improvement from changing to those or any other "gimmick" spark plug. If the plug provides a place for a spark to jump a gap...that is all it can do. Doing so in the least shrouded way possible can help...but none of the gimmick plugs accomplish that -inspite of what their marketing hoopla claims.

A friend of mine put E3's in his Volvo X90. They disintigrated due to being the wrong heat range (though he followed the recommondation for his vehicle on their web site), and the shrapnel cost him a $4000.00 head rebuild job. Stick with what works and is a reasonable price. Seek power increases else where....where they actually work.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Mythbusters

Other than indexing the plugs...

Sounds like a plot for Mythbusters...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Other than indexing the plugs...

Sounds like a plot for Mythbusters...

you can only lite the fire but so good. trust the MPH at the track and back to back dyno runs will tell you about performance gains than the butt dyno and how the car feels seat of the pants

tried a bunch of fancy plugs and they are good at making your wallet lighter but not much in terms of improving LT5 performance

CFM and tuning is where you should spend your money not trying to lite off the mix "better"

factory coils and plugs are good to 700 plus hp once you make more than that, you can worry more about the "problem"

factory plugs work just fine
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
flyboybob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Now, just how are we suppose to objectively analyze the "before and after" result on the seat of you pants? (NOT that we'd really want to!)

P.
it's a pilot term, flying by the seat of your pants.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
There is zero improvement from changing to those or any other "gimmick" spark plug. If the plug provides a place for a spark to jump a gap...that is all it can do. Doing so in the least shrouded way possible can help...but none of the gimmick plugs accomplish that -inspite of what their marketing hoopla claims.

A friend of mine put E3's in his Volvo X90. They disintigrated due to being the wrong heat range (though he followed the recommondation for his vehicle on their web site), and the shrapnel cost him a $4000.00 head rebuild job. Stick with what works and is a reasonable price. Seek power increases else where....where they actually work.
Well stated.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

it's a pilot term, flying by the seat of your pants.
I think that you need to leave that term to the pilots. It doesn't work when driving. I know. I do both. There is a hell of a lot of difference between the two. Jet and Vettes. Light years apart. FWIW, I don't think that there is any hp increase with E3's.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Tomcat74
Instructor

Default E3 Spark Plugs

It has been almost a year anyone tired E3 Spark Plugs. Like your feedback.

Tomcat 74
91 ZR1 #906
http://pnwzr1.net
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

What are you guys using if not the e3 and what is the proper e3 number for the LT-5?
I bought a set for my 90 because they didn't have any other plugs available at the time for the LT-5.. I have not installed them yet. I am not sure the local part store guy knows what an LT-5 is so I thought it best to check before installing them and by the looks of it.. glad I did.
I was looking to install the Bosch platinum but again they didn't have a listing for it. grrr who would think finding something as simple as a spark plug could be such a hassle.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Exotic plugs are not needed for the LT5. Save them for your transverse mounted front wheel drive V6 or V8 vehicle where there is little or no access to the plugs.

The AC/Delco 41-602s run beautifully in the LT5, and a set will only set you back less than $20 including tax. At that price, coupled with the low mileage/year most ZR-1s are driven, one can have fresh plugs in the motor ALL the time if only changed once every year or so.

Pete uses them in his 11.04 second LT5 and several other FBI'ers racing these cars use them too. I'm using them now and have been since 07 when I bought the car, even after the 500+ hp mods. The car runs great!!!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-02-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Pete uses them in his 10.04 second LT5

Hey Paul, is that a typo? Or did Pete just cut a full second off his best?

Get notified of new replies

To E3 Spark Plugs

Old 03-31-2016, 12:27 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

E3 spark plugs are nothing more than marketing bull-poop.

Three things you need to know about plugs for LT5s.

1) Even stockers need a colder plug. The original LT5 plug, developed for the 90s, was the FR1-LS, a 3/4-reach, flat seat, projected tip plug. It was selected because it gave the best overall street performance. Just before production began, that was changed to the FR2-LS because of concerns about "pre-delivery fouling" which is basically, problems caused by car dealers who start cars up, move them 50-ft on the lot, then shut them off and do that several times before the car is delivered to a customer. Obviously, 99% of ZR-1 owners never drive like that and should switch to something in the AC 1 heat range, which about the same as the NGK 6 heat range or the Denso 20 heat range.

2) Starting in 1993, LT5s used a taper seat plug, however, the early heads can be converted to taper sets by doing a one-time over-torque of a taper seat spark plug to 22-24-lbs/ft ft then backing off and tightening them to 15-17-lbs/ft. That forms the taper seat

3) You may love today's ACDelco spark plugs, but heat range data for them is hard to get. The 41-825 is similar to the FR1-LS which is correct for 90-92 heads which have not been "converted" as per above. The 41-104 is an AC 1 heat range plug with a taper set. If you like Delcos, use them.

4) The best I've found in about 20 years of testing plugs in my '95 is the Denso IT-22. It's actually one range colder than the original LT5 plug (FR1-LS) and two ranges colder than what virtually all plug manufacturers suggest for LT5s but I've used them for years in all kinds of driving, street around town, long-distance highway, tracking and chassis dyno testing. I've never fouled an IT-22 and they last quite a while. I started using them in the early-00s and since then I've put about 50,000 miles on my engine and only have used two sets. Denso IT-22s are in the "Iridium Power" line and feature a projected tip, an Iridium fine wire center electrode, a nickel side electrode which is u-grooved and has a cut back tip.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-31-2016 at 12:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
FASTAZU (04-03-2016), George Maz (04-03-2016), Graybeard ZR1 (03-31-2016), IHBD (09-26-2019)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Hey Paul, is that a typo? Or did Pete just cut a full second off his best?
Oh, hell.... What's a second (give or take) among friends? Yes; a TYPO (SHOULD BE 11.04 (sorry!) I'll change it!

BTW, I removed these AC Delco 41-602s yesterday; one season on them - approx 2500 miles. I was a little bit concerned b/c they are so white. But, checking w/ Marc Haibeck, it is typical of these plugs, and nothing is wrong at all. Works for me! FYI.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-02-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
E3 spark plugs are nothing more than marketing bull-poop.

Three things you need to know about plugs for LT5s.

1) Even stockers need a colder plug. The original LT5 plug, developed for the 90s, was the FR1-LS, a 3/4-reach, flat seat, projected tip plug. It was selected because it gave the best overall street performance. Just before production began, that was changed to the FR2-LS because of concerns about "pre-delivery fouling" which is basically, problems caused by car dealers who start cars up, move them 50-ft on the lot, then shut them off and do that several times before the car is delivered to a customer. Obviously, 99% of ZR-1 owners never drive like that and should switch to something in the AC 1 heat range, which about the same as the NGK 6 heat range or the Denso 20 heat range.

2) Starting in 1993, LT5s used a taper seat plug, however, the early heads can be converted to taper sets by doing a one-time over-torque of a taper seat spark plug to 22-24-lbs/ft ft then backing off and tightening them to 15-17-lbs/ft. That forms the taper seat

3) You may love today's ACDelco spark plugs, but heat range data for them is hard to get. The 41-825 is similar to the FR1-LS which is correct for 90-92 heads which have not been "converted" as per above. The 41-104 is an AC 1 heat range plug with a taper set. If you like Delcos, use them.

4) The best I've found in about 20 years of testing plugs in my '95 is the Denso IT-22. It's actually one range colder than the original LT5 plug (FR1-LS) and two ranges colder than what virtually all plug manufacturers suggest for LT5s but I've used them for years in all kinds of driving, street around town, long-distance highway, tracking and chassis dyno testing. I've never fouled an IT-22 and they last quite a while. I started using them in the early-00s and since then I've put about 50,000 miles on my engine and only have used two sets. Denso IT-22s are in the "Iridium Power" line and feature a projected tip, an Iridium fine wire center electrode, a nickel side electrode which is u-grooved and has a cut back tip.
Some very well thought out info Hib, thank you.

Just a quick question. I have been using the tapered plugs on my 90 for the last 10 or so years and currently have a set in the car but my question is.. if I have a tapered plug installed is it ok to return to a gasketed plug? Reason I ask, I found a set of Delco gasketed plugs among all my spare 90 parts and was thinking of using those. As well the local parts store only lists the 90-92 plugs for all J coded engines.. they do not have a listing for the later 93-95 plugs. I know this might seem like a silly question and I am usually quite knowledgeable when it comes to these cars but this plug thing has me wondering what to use.

Quick Reply: E3 Spark Plugs