C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Carbon on intake valves. How to remove

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon on intake valves. How to remove

Just wondering if anyone knows a magical solution that works. I've read about water spray and seafom. My intake valves have a lot of carbon on the backside visible through the intake ports.

Does anything work short of taking of the heads and taking a wire brush wheel to the valves? Posted in the zrnet also.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a lot on the secondaries from leaking injectors. Marc H. suggested to cruise with the secondaries open, and just let the cleaning power of gasoline do its thing.

The secondaries open after like 70% throttle, but won't close again until something like under 5%. So if you hammer it for a couple seconds, then back down to cruise, you can cruise and cruise with the secondaries open. It helps to have a scan tool to confirm they are enabled, though.

I never pulled my injector housing off again to confirm they were cleaner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The primaries were clean because they are always being used.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Italian tuneup on a semi regular basis ZR1s can be carbon monsters. Drive em too easy for too long and youl get it along with a slightly rougher idle.
These things are made to be driven hard.

Mt 5.3 is similar been babying it as the miles are getting up there. Hit passing gear and youd think I had a diesel. When it was newer drove it hard and never saw anything.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I run w/o secondaries, and just last week I looked at my valves, and both were spotless.

Now, either that is from the fact the secondary injectors run all the time, OR because the reason I was looking at them in the first place is due to the fact I just had a coolant leak that sprayed several quarts of water/coolant inside the plenum.

Take your pick: Run your secondaries, or spray some water in the plenum. (I don't recommend coolant tho!)

OH! And daZ almost never goes on the road w/o at least one WOT 7200 burst "to keep the valves and combustion chambers clean"

P.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's good to know that the Italian tune up works...I'm italian and never knew we had our own procedure!

Hmm, I am doing the bypass also and hope that will help matters. If it doesn't, I won't use antifreeze, but I am going to try the d44k and or seafoam as recommended on the Znet and I might even go with some sprays of water. The combustion cleaning that someone reminded me of how clean a combustion chamber gets when there's a blown head gasket...HMMM.

Don't worry Paul, noted that you advised against this..though it is compelling.

Thanks again all.

Last edited by torchred96; 11-13-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Honestly getting some carbon out of the CC wont make an iota of difference in how it runs overall. If its on youll be getting carbon somewhere.
Careful with that water...

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon on intake valves. How to remove

Quick Reply: Carbon on intake valves. How to remove