C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How easy is it to reset the INFL Rest Light on center Consol?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
1BADZR1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How easy is it to reset the INFL Rest Light on center Consol?

Hello, I need some guidance. I am getting the Callaway CR1 ready for spring and I never was able to reset the INFL Rest Light on my center consol last summer. I do have the procedure to reset it using the paperclip method but the light comes back on. Gordon did try to reset it but it came back on a short time later at Carlisle FYI, I upgraded my original steering wheel with refined leather with a sportier look, when reattaching the light came on. As it was explained there is a ground wire on the frame behind the Passenger side grill that needs to be unscrewed and sanded, as that would be the issue why the light keeps coming on. My question is can I just remove the panel and access this ground wire myself or will I have to remove other things to get to it.

Thanks for your support.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Usually it is one of the front impact sensors having a bad ground, as they ground directly to the frame; you need to find which sensor is at fault, by checking the codes. Then follow the link to proceed to fix it. Ground pin K to pin A, and after code 12 flashes three times, then another codes should flash

Codes for 90
14 Front Sensor #1 (LH); Short to Ground
15 Front Sensor #1 (LH); Open Circuit
16 Front Sensor #1 (LH); Sensor Fault
24 Front Sensor #1 (RH); Short to Ground
25 Front Sensor #1 (RH); Open Circuit
26 Front Sensor #1 (RH); Sensor Fault
31 Inflator Squib; Current leakage to Battery
32 Inflator Squib; Current shorted to battery voltage
33 Inflator Squib; Current leakage to ground
34 Inflator Squib; Current shorted to ground
35 Inflator Squib; Open circuit
36 Inflator Squib; Squib fault
41 Indicator lamp circuit; Shorted to battery or ground
42 Indicator lamp circuit; Open circuit
51 Diagnostic unit faulty
52 Firing sequence confirmation set
53 Firing current confirmation set
54 Squib current has flowed

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Old_Proj/old_proj7.htm

Also a great link.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ight=infl+rest

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 02-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADZR1
Hello, I need some guidance. I am getting the Callaway CR1 ready for spring and I never was able to reset the INFL Rest Light on my center consol last summer. I do have the procedure to reset it using the paperclip method but the light comes back on. Gordon did try to reset it but it came back on a short time later at Carlisle FYI, I upgraded my original steering wheel with refined leather with a sportier look, when reattaching the light came on. As it was explained there is a ground wire on the frame behind the Passenger side grill that needs to be unscrewed and sanded, as that would be the issue why the light keeps coming on. My question is can I just remove the panel and access this ground wire myself or will I have to remove other things to get to it.

Thanks for your support.
I'd first check the connector at the back-side of the airbag if your remark "when reattaching the light came on"!! If that's accurate it's the first place I'd thik I'd look!

If you're just interested in putting the light out and don't mnd defeating the SIR you could use a 2 Ohm resistor at the connector for the airbag.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
1BADZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd first check the connector at the back-side of the airbag if your remark "when reattaching the light came on"!! If that's accurate it's the first place I'd thik I'd look!

If you're just interested in putting the light out and don't mnd defeating the SIR you could use a 2 Ohm resistor at the connector for the airbag.

The connector behind the bag is secure no issue there. I'd rather not by passing the issue just resolve it. Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The fastest way is to pull out that light bulb!

I have fixed everything in the system and have not be able to get the light to go out. So I have no clue.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phrogs
The fastest way is to pull out that light bulb!

I have fixed everything in the system and have not be able to get the light to go out. So I have no clue.

I bought a used sensor once, and it did not last very long.....about three months. Had to fix it again. If the light is on, I would not trust the airbag system to work properly, and that is a pretty important safety feature.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
I bought a used sensor once, and it did not last very long.....about three months. Had to fix it again. If the light is on, I would not trust the airbag system to work properly, and that is a pretty important safety feature.

I disagree I really don't feel the airbag is all that great or important..
Old 02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for your support.

Hopefully its just a cororsion issue at the frame. a little cleaning preping and dyelectric grease should take care of it. Make sure you clean the Front Sensors and the mounting surfaces and use the grease between the uniframe and the sensor. Remove all the rust

After performing this function dont forget to clear out the codes. Since you dont have a tech-1 but a trusty paperclip

Make sure the ignition is off before you start

Ground the ALDL Termal A to K. A is the grounding terminal BTW

Turn the ignition on and wait for the INFL Rest light to start flashing (It should take about 5-7 Seconds)

When it starts flashing unplug the A-K for about 3 seconds then ground it again for an additional 3 seconds.

Remove and wait about ten seconds and ground it once more

You should see a code 12 flashing 6 times indication the codes have been cleared and the DERM is operating normally (Dignostic Energy Reserve Module)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Hopefully its just a cororsion issue at the frame. a little cleaning preping and dyelectric grease should take care of it. Make sure you clean the Front Sensors and the mounting surfaces and use the grease between the uniframe and the sensor. Remove all the rust

After performing this function dont forget to clear out the codes. Since you dont have a tech-1 but a trusty paperclip

Turn the ignition on and wait for the INFL Rest light to start flashing (It should take about 5-7 Seconds)

When it starts flashing unplug the A-K for about 3 seconds then ground it again for an additional 3 seconds.

You should see a code 12 flashing 6 times indication the codes have been cleared and the DERM is operating normally (Dignostic Energy Reserve Module)
The key to the reset procedure is to make sure that the timing for grounding/ungrounding must be exact. Close will not do it. Some have even used a stop watch.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by A1990
The key to the reset procedure is to make sure that the timing for grounding/ungrounding must be exact. Close will not do it. Some have even used a stop watch.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
don't wreak and it won't be an issue
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
1BADZR1
Racer

[QUOTE=Goldcylon;1580093013]Hopefully its just a cororsion issue at the frame. a little cleaning preping and dyelectric grease should take care of it. Make sure you clean the Front Sensors and the mounting surfaces and use the grease between the uniframe and the sensor. Remove all the rust

Thanks so this wire where the corosion issue is at the frame is behind the Passanger side grill. Correct? Is it as simply as unscewing the bolt and sanding the area and using the dyelectic grease as you state? I just want to verify the exact location before I begin. Lastly is it readily visible when I remove the panel? My panels haven't been removed since Callaway installed them.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

[QUOTE=1BADZR1;1580102248]

Thanks so this wire where the corosion issue is at the frame is behind the Passanger side grill. Correct? Is it as simply as unscewing the bolt and sanding the area and using the dyelectic grease as you state? I just want to verify the exact location before I begin. Lastly is it readily visible when I remove the panel? My panels haven't been removed since Callaway installed them.

Thanks

Yes.. Some of the other links have some of these corrosion points listed with pics see below. If this does not work. Your DERM maybe the problem. But if you need one of those LMK I have one for a MY90

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=46&TopicID=2

Last edited by Goldcylon; 02-24-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
1BADZR1
Racer

[QUOTE=Goldcylon;1580102512]

Yes.. Some of the other links have some of these corrosion points listed with pics see below. If this does not work. Your DERM maybe the problem. But if you need one of those LMK I have one for a MY90

Thanks - This does make sense Gordon stated that my Right Sensor had a fault so that is why he stated that I needed to clean the ground on the Passenger side. I will address this, this afternoon. Thanks again. I just replaced my Battery and this area was dirt and corrosion free. Note I go through my Callaway with a tooth brush so Im not surprised "Yes Im Crazy"
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Some excellent tech tips I did not know about Daryll

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/
Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Some excellent tech tips I did not know about Daryll

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/

Yep interesting eh?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
1BADZR1
Racer

Where can I get this tech 1 because My paper clip isnt doing the job and I'm getting a cramp in my neck. Must have done it 20 time with no positive results to reset.

Get notified of new replies

To How easy is it to reset the INFL Rest Light on center Consol?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Where can I get this tech 1 because My paper clip isnt doing the job and I'm getting a cramp in my neck. Must have done it 20 time with no positive results to reset.

Ebay or Craigslist
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

One thing I was doing, kinda hate to admit it..... was I had terminal K grounded to terminal A with the paperclip, and then I was trying to ground the paperclip to the frame........
Well duh, it was never getting ungrounded, because it was grounded to terminal A. Just remember to only have the paper clip in terminal K, and then ground to the seat frame or something. After I did that, it was very easy on the first try, and I have had good luck since.....I was wondering if others have done this.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Tricknique
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phrogs
I disagree I really don't feel the airbag is all that great or important..
Agreed, they were introduced to save people who didn't buckle up!

BUT be aware that the belts on airbag equipped cars are designed to stretch much more than cars without airbags. This lets the belt and airbag work together to absorb crash energy.

So if the airbag doesn't inflate in a crash, your stretchy seatbelt will let your body move closer to the steering column increasing your risk of injury.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to reset the INFL Rest Light on center Consol?