C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Smptoms of clogged catalydic converter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Default Smptoms of clogged catalydic converter.

I might have damaged my catalytic converter. I drove my ZR1 when it had bad injectors. Now the injectors, spark plugs, wires have all been changed by Corvettes of Auburn.

But there still seems to be a miss. CofA say it is running correctly according to their computer. And out on the road it has lots of power, the secondaries open normally and with a kick when I turn the key at full throttle.

BUT, there still seems to be a miss, very slight. I don't get it. It should not be thumping tires because I just bought brand new tires as well. It is just not as smooth as I perceive it should be, and nowhere as smooth as my C5Z06. But I really haven't driven it much in the last three years.

Anybody in the Bremerton area want to drive it with me and second guess ?

What would be the result of clogged catalytic converters?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Loss of power (especially over 2500rpm), backfiring, and possibly rattling. I would tend to think possible electrical (coil pack, etc) Do you have a dual mass flywheel?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

You would hear a sound like a chock full o nuts under the car as the subsrate melts into a ball and rattles around in side the cat.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

A converter could clog without actually breaking up into pieces, in that situation typically it acts like a rev limiter, preventing the engine from running perhaps more than 2500-3500rpm (actual number will vary depending on % blockage), like Fred stated.

When I had a converter failure it broke up like GC described above, albeit with less melting. But that's not always what happens.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

OK....................I guess that rules out the converter. It runs fine right up to where I'm comfortable.....maybe 6500 RPM.

Maybe it is my imagination. Except, I usually imagine women, not cars!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had good luck diagnosing ignition issues while driving to put the car a gear or two high (45 mph in 5th with stock gears) and ease into the gas--to ~3/4 throttle. Do it cold then hot. If car groans but pulls away without "bucking" ignition is usually good. Hot will somewhat isolate it to coils.

What were the plugs gapped at? Despite recommendations I've been very successful with 0.035" gap.
Ted
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Laser temp the front and back of the cat after some good driving, if it's clogged you'll see a big difference front to back.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Demps
I've had good luck diagnosing ignition issues while driving to put the car a gear or two high (45 mph in 5th with stock gears) and ease into the gas--to ~3/4 throttle. Do it cold then hot. If car groans but pulls away without "bucking" ignition is usually good. Hot will somewhat isolate it to coils.

What were the plugs gapped at? Despite recommendations I've been very successful with 0.035" gap.
Ted
Ted,

I'll try that the next dry day.

Karl

Get notified of new replies

To Smptoms of clogged catalydic converter.

Quick Reply: Smptoms of clogged catalydic converter.