C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sold my c6z setup.. Didn't like all the cost associated with the rear ebrake and then the stock rotors are only 1 directional if I price out 2 PC rotors and all the hardware then I'm looking pretty much at a nice Baer 14/14 setup or 15" fronts if I can get a bracket made. Decided that I won't make the same mistake as on my 93 and have everything apart and waiting .... Going to just add the Baer front kit with 2 PC rotors all around for now and am interested in the c7 brake calipers they look great !
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

This is what I want now !!! Don't have to worry about re-powdercoating the c6z to get the circles off and use a c4 font.. The c7 has a font that is very nice and a 2 piece rotor with a beefy caliper.. Win win win

Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Yes the C7 rotor is lighter than the C6Z rotor and likely more expensive. Wonder if the C7 are Brembo and not PBR. Are they bolt on to C6 in which case there may be more C6Z calipers coming available.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 07-09-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Good points! That would be nice if its just a bracket change to fit these to a c6 which means should be just the same to for for us. I like then c6z but I'm not going to bother with it right now I have too much to take care of for the car and don't want another something to keep me from driving It for what's left of this year. I may end up just trying to see if someone can make me a bracket to just bolt the c6z rear caliper and eliminate the ebrake. Either way for me it will be the Baer setup for the time being and ill worry about it during the winter. I still want at least a 14" rotor up front so I will be changing it out eventually. I forgot but did anyone here get the street shoppe setup working in their c4z?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I believe rickyrj has it on his C4 Z
Old 08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
POWERBRAKEBOB
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroboost and c6 calipers

One of the problems with bigger calipers, is that a larger master is required to fill the volume. Of course a larger master requires a bigger booster.
The C-4's had a 7/8" piston, and a narrow bolt pattern on the booster. C-5's and C-6's had a 1 inch master with the larger spread pattern of the Delco booster. COULD build a Delco booster for the C-4's and have done so. I also provide a dual dia ZR-1 type booster for the non ZR-1 cars.
I am installing a HYDROBOOST power brake unit on my car, which enables the larger master. These run off of the p/s pump hoses. The stopping power is more than the acceleration power.
An additional benefit is that I can also relocate the battery back, run the ugly computer wiring harness UNDER the Hydroboost, and drop the computer down into the battery well.
HUGE cleanup and performance gains. Stopping power wise, you would not need the bigger calipers and expense of the 18" wheels.
I am also bringing in a larger clutch master for cleaner shifts, and a slave cyl repair kit. [IMG]powerbrakesonline.com[/IMG]
I don't see the button to insert a photo. Maybe someone can point it out for me?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERBRAKEBOB
One of the problems with bigger calipers, is that a larger master is required to fill the volume. Of course a larger master requires a bigger booster.
The C-4's had a 7/8" piston, and a narrow bolt pattern on the booster. C-5's and C-6's had a 1 inch master with the larger spread pattern of the Delco booster. COULD build a Delco booster for the C-4's and have done so. I also provide a dual dia ZR-1 type booster for the non ZR-1 cars.
I am installing a HYDROBOOST power brake unit on my car, which enables the larger master. These run off of the p/s pump hoses. The stopping power is more than the acceleration power.
An additional benefit is that I can also relocate the battery back, run the ugly computer wiring harness UNDER the Hydroboost, and drop the computer down into the battery well.
HUGE cleanup and performance gains. Stopping power wise, you would not need the bigger calipers and expense of the 18" wheels.
I am also bringing in a larger clutch master for cleaner shifts, and a slave cyl repair kit. [IMG]powerbrakesonline.com[/IMG]
I don't see the button to insert a photo. Maybe someone can point it out for me?
PBB,

Several of us have the C6Z brakes and haven't heard anyone yet complain about the lack of stopping power coming from the C4 master.
Also, I happen to like the 18/19" wheels which is why they're on my car.
I like the idea of the larger clutch master. But I think we get the idea of the HYDROBOOST brake booster if you know what I mean.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I'm interested in a master or slave repair kit etc. I like to upgrade parts instead of replacing them.

I sold my c6z setup .. May do it for the 93 as it needs the better brakes but with so many c7s being pumped out I think by next year ill score a set of used z51 calipers and rotors.

Just curious would it be possible to design a bracket that would use a larger caliper and move the Oem rear to say 12 o clock and just use it for the ebrake? Brake like disconnected from the Oem one obviously and to the larger unit.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Just curious would it be possible to design a bracket that would use a larger caliper and move the Oem rear to say 12 o clock and just use it for the ebrake? Brake like disconnected from the Oem one obviously and to the larger unit.
Recently I modified my rear brakes to Wilwood 4 piston set up using a kit affred by Revolution Brake.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20761
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20762

A quick answer to your question is "yes" a bracket can be designed to mount larger caliper to work with 23" or 14" rotor and use factory rear to function as an e-brake. However, ebrake location has to remain roughly in original location to avoid cable interfering with new large caliper and avoid custom e-brake cable.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brake upgrade