C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

4:10 ring & Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 AM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4:10 ring & Pinion

Can anyone recommend a good source for 4:10's or 3:90 gears?.....Need to replace all 3 in my C4's and have been using the Viper gears but for me, they do not hold up......Thanks.......
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by skeetdaddy
Can anyone recommend a good source for 4:10's or 3:90 gears?.....Need to replace all 3 in my C4's and have been using the Viper gears but for me, they do not hold up......Thanks.......
Explain the "don't hold up"! What diameter ring gear are you using?

You've got more than one failure? I've a set of NOS 4.10 Dana brand that aren't cataloged with a 226mm ring gear with the correct ring gear bolt threads. It's not inexpensive and it's only one set - I don't believe this gear set can be done any longer.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-15-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Used a Viper (thick) 3:90 in my car's and they held up nice. It's the spindle shaft's that go on mine. Al and Bob G. have a solution for the spindle problem's.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.gounitrax.com/viper.htm

I'm using the Unitrax 3.33 gears in my 909 rwhp Viper any they are holding up fine.

They sell the 3.91's and 4.10's also.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the Dana OEM Viper gears were the best? I am using Yukon YD-D44HD411 (4.11) Viper/Corvette gears and love it. No issues with drag radials and no noise; I have been beating on them for the past two years.

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=3501
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
I thought the Dana OEM Viper gears were the best? I am using Yukon YD-D44HD411 (4.11) Viper/Corvette gears and love it. No issues with drag radials and no noise; I have been beating on them for the past two years.

I put in the Yukon 3.73 gear set for mine basically to approximate 3.45s w my 19" Z06 wheels. I get a turbine like whine on decel which Al is addressing right now. Good to know you have no noise on yours. Anything special to know on the setup?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1

I put in the Yukon 3.73 gear set for mine basically to approximate 3.45s w my 19" Z06 wheels. I get a turbine like whine on decel which Al is addressing right now. Good to know you have no noise on yours. Anything special to know on the setup?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:37 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Hey Dom,

Sorry to hear about the whine with your Yukon gear set up. I'm not sure as I had a local shop in Hawaii that was recommended to me do the install. The only thing I did was have a friend help me rebuild the posi and I added in the ARP studs. Here is a pic showing the pattern after the gear set up: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/corvettezr1....html?m=lc&p=6

Best wishes. Craig
Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I'd guess there shouldn't be much required to diagnose the problem for your "whine" on decel. The most frequent and almost only cause for a decel "whine" is the pinion is to deep. Generally this is created when the front pinion shim thickness or the same shim is used from the previous install and not measured from scratch. Less frequently pinion pre-load can effect it. A crush collar/sleeve is a "one-time" device and it's often not treated as such, I've generally supplied two with a gear package that uses a collar/sleeve to control the pinion pre-load.

Sometimes it's just the specific "match" that's missing from the gear set that you bought. Manufacturing tolerances I'd guess they would say. It might be able to be made better but maybe NOT go away!

Good luck with yours. How many miles on the new install?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-21-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

WV,

Looking at Craig's image it appears that his install had the pinion contacting further toward the toe? Of the RG. I mentioned my issue to someone who installs gears routinely and their comment was similar to yours. Whine on decel, too far in, on Accel, too far out. His suggestion was to try simply swapping the shims from one side to the other.
Al's finished the rear and we'll be installing it likely later today and tomorrow. He used a whole new install kit. We did the initial install last year prior to BG, so probably have about 3-4K on it right now.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

WV,

Looking at Craig's image it appears that his install had the pinion contacting further toward the toe? Of the RG. I mentioned my issue to someone who installs gears routinely and their comment was similar to yours. Whine on decel, too far in, on Accel, too far out. His suggestion was to try simply swapping the shims from one side to the other.
Al's finished the rear and we'll be installing it likely later today and tomorrow. He used a whole new install kit. We did the initial install last year prior to BG, so probably have about 3-4K on it right now.
Carrier shims don't fix pinion depth but it's something that's attempted by some because there's little expense involved. No pinion bearings to remove and possibly damage, little or no attention needs to be paid to the pinion at all. If you used another complete install package and fixed the pinion depth all "could be good". Like I mentioned there's gear packages off the shelf that aren't going to be issue free. The next package from the same vendor in the same ratio will have "no issues"!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm certainly no expert on gears,or the setup procedure. So I had my 4.10's setup by the seller, I believe it was Detroit Gear, back in 96'. Then re-checked by a good local shop before installation.
I've been hammering on them ever since, with Drag Radials and 3-4K launches, no problems, no whine.

I think it's all in the initial setup. Aaron's near you there in S. Georgia, isn't he?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I'm certainly no expert on gears,or the setup procedure. So I had my 4.10's setup by the seller, I believe it was Detroit Gear, back in 96'. Then re-checked by a good local shop before installation.
I've been hammering on them ever since, with Drag Radials and 3-4K launches, no problems, no whine.

I think it's all in the initial setup. Aaron's near you there in S. Georgia, isn't he?
OP never came back for a comment! It's difficult to comprehend one person having the issues he's hinted he's had. Can't say he hasn't but then again how many others have? Differential failure will certainly take out a gear set but that can hardly be blamed on the gear. Installer issues? That might be the only other instance that would come to mind!!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP never came back for a comment! It's difficult to comprehend one person having the issues he's hinted he's had. Can't say he hasn't but then again how many others have? Differential failure will certainly take out a gear set but that can hardly be blamed on the gear. Installer issues? That might be the only other instance that would come to mind!!
I have been out of pocket with some issues but I can assure you I am not hinting about the gears needing replacing......Two of the cars I purchased came with bad gears and the 93 I have were whiny (and have gotten much worse) the first time I drove the car after installation.....

I use the same installer as Aaron at South Ga. Corvettes but I intend to send elsewhere this time....I will use Dana 44's this time which I have not used in a long time and never had trouble with those back in the 90's.....
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I have been out of pocket with some issues but I can assure you I am not hinting about the gears needing replacing......Two of the cars I purchased came with bad gears and the 93 I have were whiny (and have gotten much worse) the first time I drove the car after installation.....

I use the same installer as Aaron at South Ga. Corvettes but I intend to send elsewhere this time....I will use Dana 44's this time which I have not used in a long time and never had trouble with those back in the 90's.....
I'm guessing you purchased the gear set, the install package and then had "your" gears installed. Is that correct?

There's only one way to do the install if your concerned with a quiet professional install. That's to price it with the shop supplying the parts and commiting to the install quality with a warranty. It's the only way.

You carry your parts or demand a "brand" and then the responsibility is yours. Your last experience if it was that way "out the door" I'm surprised the installer didn't offer up something.

Are you removing the assembly and taking that to the shop or is the shop doing the install from start to finish. Regarding the two cars you bought that were already done. I don't know you could atribute that to the branding. Your original post hints that these were packages that you installed/or had installed that failed. I'm guessing there's as many as three installers involved here. Yes/no?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ttt
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by combatdoc
ttt
I don't understand the "bump". Are you looking for a suggestion regarding brand? There's only a few and issues could be had with all of them. The results are more frequently in the "hands of the builder"!

I'd probably still suggest the 4.10 Dana builds, I'd be sure I'm buying a 226mm ring geaar and you need to make sure you're getting the correct ring gear bolt diameters. The later Viper gear sets were larger and the latest Super 44 are still larger. The 226mm ring gear isn't a must but while you're buying you might as well take advantage of the size. Occasionally the aluminum housing might require some massaging but that's not an issue to deal with.

For the C4 D44-HD you want 3/8" ring gear bolts only. If you bought a package with 7/16" bolts all of the bores in the carrier would require being "reamed" to fit.

Get notified of new replies

To 4:10 ring & Pinion

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a 4.10 installed last fall.. I had a friend do it and he told me Dana gears as well. I ended up with these:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...154f7950669ef4

The setup is quieter then the stock 3.45 I replaced..
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should be silent. They were set up wrong. I went through this in my toyota 4x4, I had to get them reinstalled due to incorrect installation.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the pinion has some play.

Quick Reply: 4:10 ring & Pinion