C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wrapped my door panels and they always get a comment from fellow C4 owners. One of the favorite mods I performed. The leather color and highlight stitching matches the two-tone leather of the seats and other leather accessories.

Pic from my thread on the audio update.
Originally Posted by 89 Vett
Project is still ongoing, but here's a couple more pics.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

wow, nice leather work, I'm looking for two tone mod red 95 zr-1 seats

I know I can buy the al knoch stuff but I think a custom uphostery shop could do it better

any recommendations? love the door panel, came out great!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
wow, nice leather work, I'm looking for two tone mod red 95 zr-1 seats

I know I can buy the al knoch stuff but I think a custom uphostery shop could do it better

any recommendations? love the door panel, came out great!
Mine was a custom job at a local shop (Discount Audio - Louisville, Ky). Very pleased with it.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I wrapped my door panels and they always get a comment from fellow C4 owners. One of the favorite mods I performed. The leather color and highlight stitching matches the two-tone leather of the seats and other leather accessories.

Pic from my thread on the audio update.
That looks fantastic well done !!

I've always been a fan of caravvaggios interiors on c5/6s I've hung out there a few times to see the work in action and it's fantastic. We talked about doing my 93 car but then he told me the price for the full interior on a c5 he did ($28k :o) i sort of put it at the bottom of the list lol!
the 94-6 car dash looks a lot easier to wrap than the early style because of the divider. I'm definitely going to look into it.

I have a c7 owner measuring his comp seats for me I really want to know if I can get them to fit. He's upgrading to aftermarket

As for an update I planning to get started on the stereo etc. planning to pull the seats out today and bring them inside to clean them up (possibly sell ) and for room so I can start routing speaker wires and The rcas

Last edited by 5abivt; 01-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:30 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
the 94-6 car dash looks a lot easier to wrap than the early style because of the divider. I'm definitely going to look into it.
Never thought of that I might want to look into that myself and mod the Airbag to be a mini glove box or at least access of some sort in my car..

I do like the divider.. but finding a good dash pad is getting tough and like you said wrapping the 90-93 pad is a bit more challenging
Old 06-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Reddyt5
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Reddyt5
Any updates?
Definitely will be some to come. Car is actually back on the road after being apart for a year. I need to upload photos and Ill post them up
Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 AM
Reddyt5
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Definitely will be some to come. Car is actually back on the road after being apart for a year. I need to upload photos and Ill post them up
Awesome
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Alright its about time for some updates It was a long winter and a vacation to mexico and Cuba last month really put a stopper on getting into the garage because the weather felt so dam Cold still !!!!!!!

So, I spent the last few months waiting for some custom tweeter pods. My main issue with the factory speakers are their locations down by the feet. I hated moving my foot to the dead pedal/foot rest and covering the sound and the complete blockage of sound when there was a passenger in the car because his/her legs would cover the highs. I have tweeters mounted into the door panels in my 93 and the sound is fantastic BUT I considred a pillar mount location since it would require drilling into the a pillar which the pieces are easily replaceable. The main reason for wanting that location is the distance would have been further from the ear on both sides which is better than a door mount (which puts them closer and fire across). SO my tweeter pods came in and they were too big. I tried moving my focal pods around and the best spot I found was on the door panel on the corner under the a pillar. Anything on the a pillar blocked some line of sight to the road which was not acceptable to me. Long story short, in the end I went with the door mount.

First things I got done and something that was long overdue was to pull the seats and to clean/condition them. The seats are in excellent shape with a little wear on the outer drivers side bolster. I was surprised at how much grime there was caked on the headrest It made me want to puke but it wasn't even visible until I sprayed it with a cleaner and put a brush to it. Took a lot of rags and the cleaner and with a soft brush and tons of rags I went until the grime was no more !

Seats out.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I ended up starting the stereo while the seats were in the house waiting for the weather to warm so I could put the seats in my other car and let them get really hot inside the car before conditioning them. In the meantime one other thing that needed to be done was the headliner and to touch up the metal trim. Really simple, great videos on youtube and lots of help on facebook too. Peel off, spray, stick back on and I put some books all over the liner while drying and its like new again.

peeled off

back in place

all done
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Moving on to the stereo.. Seats out and time to begin !!

Things got a lot worse before they got better that's for sure
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Lots of pics and its hard to remember the order but Ill try. If anyone has any specific questions on components etc and the stereo feel free to ask Ill just post some photos

So, Had a ton of Dynomat stuff laying around. thick foil and thick rubber/backing (not sure what its called) and while things were apart I couldn't help but want to use it everywhere.

I used some on the side sills and behind the speaker enclosures.

It was a tough reach but I got a good bit on the inside of the outer door skins.

started to rip out all the carpet in the back ..

started lining the back as well. Now Im no expert on drone, and I have none because of the Corsa but the rear hatch area... the fiberglass/plastic is extremely thin and wobbles when shaken a bit. I was completely surprised at how thin the material was and wondered if this was a reason resonance can be so dreadful in a c4. It felt like a large thin Rubbermaid storage bin. a cheap one.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

And on to the door panels. Purists be warned
Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

I thought you already drilled the holes?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I thought you already drilled the holes?
Its already done.. just updating the thread from way back in winter.. pics coming
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Little bit of measuring and making sure I wasn't close to the rib on the backside and a few seconds later the damage was done

Also did the rears with components and put the tweets in the rear trim. Now with the cargoshade closed or with the roof off in the hatch the highs wont get blocked off.

rears with tweets inside..

Fronts came out good as well. With the added matting in the doors it added a few lbs maybe 1-2. Feels like 10. the door shuts solid and no more tinny noises. Tweets in the panels look clean to me and as oem as possible which was the goal.

Back to the noise stuff.. really happy with how it turned out. Had enough to line the inside of the rear quarters through the speaker holes and then some and then filled the back space with some firewall stuff and taped it in place.

different view. Ill add some more to the passenger side cubby after I route the microphone through it for the go pro.

Routing wires in place and taping them.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Long story short.. Have a ton of pics of the wiring and stereo stuff but not sure how many I really want to post it seems a little repetitive but heres some after pics all together.

Seats smell fantastic and really softened up.

Finally got her out for the first real drive of the year. The results well... Ill just say Im extremely happy. It was a lot to take in because I changed so much at once (ported top end, re tune, secondary elimination, alternator, full stereo, dynomatting, new clutch/light flywheel etc etc). Still breaking in the clutch so I took it pretty easy.
Next project is to wire the gopro mic wire from inside out to the back between the mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Outstanding work! As a previous owner of Lucky #13, I can't be more impressed with your detailed and first class approach to make this Z something special. Very well done.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Peaven
Outstanding work! As a previous owner of Lucky #13, I can't be more impressed with your detailed and first class approach to make this Z something special. Very well done.
Thanks very much !! I think I saw your comment on youtube I just cant remember my password so I couldn't reply back on there ! Sending a pm
Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I would like some more details on the front speaker set up..

I have 1" and 4" i the frame rail on the floor and a 6.5 in the door..

I could do a 1" and 4" in door and 6.5 in the floor and get better sound I am guessing

Quick Reply: Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!