C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (Hib Halverson)

Hib, you have mail. I've got a 93, and I'll take it. If you haven't sold it yet.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:47 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (Hib Halverson)

No worries about the chip - hope 8388 enjoys it!! I actually have the chrome 5 spokers with GS-Cs on my car. - Anyway - thanks for the advice on accessing the chip. :cheers: :cool:
Old 07-15-2002, 01:34 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,080 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (DDSLT5)

Hey guys - I really appreciate the advice - I actually sent a check to the ZR-1 registry about a month ago (california address - i can't remember the fellow's name) and it was certified for 50 U.S. dollars - but no response as of yet - who can I call to find out if my check has been lost - someone who works in the registry preferably?
Don't panic just yet,Dwight. I answered your note last week that you sent from a "Paul Smith's" email address. He obviously didn't forward my note. I sent another note to that address,explaining the delay. It would help if you would give me your email address instead of going through a second party so I can communicate with you,directly.
Sincerely,
Clint Hooper
LT5 Registry Director

[Modified by USAZR1, 11:35 PM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 05:18 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (USAZR1)

Hey DDS! From another DDS
This will open another can of worms, but some have said the best bang for the buck is to swap to a 4.10:1 rear end. I did (also changed the trans speedo gears) and it really changes things. No doubt that you shift more often, and after getting used to it, I think its more fun as I always seem to be at the hi RPM's so you get to hear the sweet sound of a 4 cam 32 valve LT5 :lol:
All depends where you want to go.....
Good luck!

Old 07-16-2002, 01:58 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (95ZR1)

This is a modification I see quite often on different ZR-1 owners - and almost always when a significant rebuild has taken place (368", 415") - I'm very curious - how does this affect quater mile times? How about 0-60 times? Are we talking 0.5 to 1.0 seconds faster? (with an ortherwise stock engine)

Obviously with a 415 or 368, and 4.10's, top speed is likely obtained in 6th due to increased torque/horsepower - who else has changed to 4.10's? Who likes it and does anybody regret this mod? How many extra rpm's am I looking at while cruisin at 80 mph? AND finally, is this an easy swap to make?

Whew - that's a lot of questions, eh? Uh oh, first time the Canadian lingo has shown - I'll be expecting some backlash from that!!

:cheers:

Hey 95ZR-1 - do you see a huge difference from stock with this mod? How much $ did it cost as well?

Happy motoring to all!!
Old 07-16-2002, 02:04 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (USAZR1)

________________________________________ ___________________
Don't panic just yet,Dwight. I answered your note last week that you sent from a "Paul Smith's" email address. He obviously didn't forward my note. I sent another note to that address,explaining the delay. It would help if you would give me your email address instead of going through a second party so I can communicate with you,directly.
Sincerely,
Clint Hooper
LT5 Registry Director
________________________________________ ____________________

Clint - got the message and have been in contact with Bill - already have the back issues of KOTH from Bill - very cool - no worries about the membership stuff - take care of it at you convenience!!

:cool: :cheers: :cool:
Old 07-16-2002, 04:53 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (DDSLT5)

Hey DDS!
I bought my 4.10 setup complete in the pumpkin for $1500. The seller (Hi Gary!) didnt like the 4:10 for the hiway, and switched back. I drive stoplight to stoplight (L.A.) so It's great. Its much easier to just swap the entire rear end than deal with seals/pinion/ring gears,etc. Heard too many horror stories with gear noise- mine is fine. If you want to go the gear route, Al Kinder (?) is the one to contact. BTW, the price is similar once you add in the parts/labor to change out the guts in the pumpkin. I also rec changing the speedo gears (or electronically) or you'll add mileage incredibly fast. I got the speedo gears from LPE. As far as the swap.... I'm a very novice mechanic, but did it myself in about a week working when I could (between work/family/little sleep). Also helpful to have the drive beam plates (Bill Boudreau) to easily bolt the beam back up if removing the drive shaft. Funny, the hardest parts for me were just jacking up the (*^*(&%(&$*$ car and placing it on jack stands (not any flat surfaces under the car) and removing the exhaust. Damn Borla still won't line up. Still, glad I did it. Good Luck!

Other costs (and controversy) Gear oil (I used GM) including slip additive

[Modified by 95ZR1, 4:00 AM 7/16/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 07:06 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (95ZR1)

the beam plates work really well to help plant the power. it's not how much you make but how much you make USE OF that really counts. please contact me if you are interested.

is Marc Randolf back doing chips yet???

I have a need for some calibration revisions.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:13 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (Rkreigh)

is Marc Randolf back doing chips yet???
Marc did a nitrous chip for me a couple of weeks ago. It helps when you know where he lives.:D

He has been working day and night on a big project that is supposed to wrapped up right about now. Hopefully he is finished and can start doing chips on a more regular basis.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:10 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1 (Rkreigh)

Rkreigh,

I checked out these beam plates from another post that you referred to in the past and I am definitely interested in a set - let me know some $ and shipping arrangements.

Thanks, Dwight

Quick Reply: Chip advice for my '90 ZR-1