C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Exhaust Install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust Install?

Need some advice from the field. I have a new cat back exhaust to install. Bolt on B&B with X-Pipe that I just purchased here from Todd. By the way thanks Todd the system looks great. It is a bolt in system. Is this easy enough to do in my garage/driveway with ramps and jack stands. I have the requisite tools I just don't have a lift and I don't want to get into it just to discover I have bitten off more than I can chew. Any special things I should know, any good advice? Thanks guys.

Craig,

PS: I did do a search first but was not returning anything truly useful.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM
GTRLOLZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's pretty easy... I do all my own work and I don't have a lift the only problem is going to be getting the over axle part over the axle lol it need to be at least 22 inches off the ground for it to "slip" out just barley. But be careful for the trans cooler lines there right there and delicate
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM
GTRLOLZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it on my c6 and c5 but never a c4
Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

While a lift certainly makes it easier,it can be done as you are planning.
The B and B is easy because of it's multiple pieces.
The only hard part is the awkwardness of the factory system due to its size and weight as itis all one piece.
Therefore have multiple hands available or jacks to support and hold it as it comes down.
Take a minute to become familiar with the various hangers before you undo them all, as it will save time during the install.
Good luck!!!
The sound improvement over stock is incredible.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Points to put my jack stands under the rear of the car? I have ramps for the front and can lift the back but I wasn't sure where to put the jacks stands. I am reading Dynomite's write up but it does not include anything about that.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Originally Posted by 2008coupekid
It's pretty easy... I do all my own work and I don't have a lift the only problem is going to be getting the over axle part over the axle lol it need to be at least 22 inches off the ground for it to "slip" out just barley. But be careful for the trans cooler lines there right there and delicate

Ok, you lost me. Over the axle part? I was not tracking anything that goes over the axle. The pics I have seen show everything running under.

Craig,
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The C4 system is all under the car, no over axle like a C5 & C6....Guess 2008coupekid never worked on a C4 exhaust system

This link has a nice pic on a lift you can use the same location for jack stands.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ck-points.html

Last edited by FASTAZU; 11-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

That will work. Thanks. Trying to knock this out tonight. Wish me luck. I will update as I complete the work.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYRC51
That will work. Thanks. Trying to knock this out tonight. Wish me luck. I will update as I complete the work.
I'd spray everything down tonight and tackle it tomorrow. Maybe spray it down a couple of times.

The "over-axle" was certainly entertaining - still is !

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-20-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

I was thinking the same thing. Going to get it in the air tonight and see what the nuts and bolts look like etc. Might pull a few after some WD-40 to see where I am at.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Stock exhaust came off without a hitch. Most of the new exhaust went on without a hitch except for the mufflers. They were at least an inch too long to fit the hangers. I am sure it is my not fitting the piples together perfect but instead of killing myself I am taking it today to a shop so they can get it on a lift, check my work, torque everything down nicely and get my mufflers on. But as a side benefit I did drive it to work today without the mufflers. Not as loud as I expected. Down low did not sound great but man you hit 2000 rpm's or above and sang a tune. Man it sounded good, smooth and strong. I was very happy to find my car extremely clean underneath. I did not however use jack stands as I was not sure about where to put the stands under the car but I did use ramps on all four wheels. I jacked the car up and slid the ramps in. Not ideal because it was extremely tight for my big self but hey gotta do what cha gotta do. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYRC51
Stock exhaust came off without a hitch. Most of the new exhaust went on without a hitch except for the mufflers. They were at least an inch too long to fit the hangers. I am sure it is my not fitting the piples together perfect but instead of killing myself I am taking it today to a shop so they can get it on a lift, check my work, torque everything down nicely and get my mufflers on. But as a side benefit I did drive it to work today without the mufflers. Not as loud as I expected. Down low did not sound great but man you hit 2000 rpm's or above and sang a tune. Man it sounded good, smooth and strong. I was very happy to find my car extremely clean underneath. I did not however use jack stands as I was not sure about where to put the stands under the car but I did use ramps on all four wheels. I jacked the car up and slid the ramps in. Not ideal because it was extremely tight for my big self but hey gotta do what cha gotta do. Thanks for all the advice guys.
That is fate saying ditch the mufflers and go with straight 3 inch ss tubing terminating in a highly polished tip of your choice instead of the mufflers.
Least ways if you are somewhat deaf like me.
Gets the noise level just about right.

Marty

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Install?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install?